Ecoboost Performance Forum

Vehicle Specific Boards => Taurus SHO, Taurus PI, and MKS => Maintenance and Troubleshooting => Topic started by: LMKS012 on September 23, 2021, 07:40:55 PM

Title: Is this the proper adapter?
Post by: LMKS012 on September 23, 2021, 07:40:55 PM
Hey guys, looking for a pressure bleeder adapter for the brake system.

The 2013+ cars have a larger three-prong "lip", but it is NOT the same as was used on the 2005-2011 Mustangs.

I have ordered Motive 1108/1107 adapters and neither work.

I also have ordered the ARES 18002 50.7mm adapter and that is for the earlier style (2012 and earlier) brake masters.

I also have the ARES 18054 that works on later model GMs and that is wrong as well.

The only one I came across where it actually "looks" like it might be the right one is the CTA Tools 7040 adapter.

Now, I bought the ARES bleeder, so I am not going to go buy a CTA tools bleeder, but I can see swapping out the ARES fitting for the CTA tools fitting on the 7040 if it will work.

Does anyone know if the CTA Tools 7040 will work or not?  If not that one, can anyone confirm ANY other bleeder adapter works on the 2013+ cars?
Title: Re: Is this the proper adapter?
Post by: LMKS012 on September 23, 2021, 07:43:28 PM
Now, I *COULD* just get an extra master cylinder cap and cut a hole for the adapter inside the ARES 18002 adapter and it may work, but my concern is that the cap being modified will weaken it structurally to the point where it won't hold pressure, which would make it useless.

All of the rest of the "adapters" are much beefier in construction as they are designed to hold pressure.
Title: Re: Is this the proper adapter?
Post by: LMKS012 on October 04, 2021, 06:35:30 PM
OK, so, I finally got everything in and hopefully this helps someone else out...

The adapter that works for the 2013+ master cylinder is the CTA Tools 7040 adapter.

So to sum it up...

To make this work you need the following:

CTA Tools 7040 master cylinder adapter

And you need the 1/8" npt fitting for whichever pressure bleeder you are going to use, in my case I bought an ARES 70921 pressure bleeder, so I need the nipple that will fit and for that I just bought the cheapest master cylinder adapter I could find of theirs which is:

ARES 18054 master cylinder adapter

Then it is just a matter of using a pair of snap ring pliers, taking the snap rings off both adapters, using a pair of needle-nose pliers to hold the area where the snap-rings sit (since the rest goes into the master clinder and you do NOT want to mess it up), hold them firmly and use a wrench or socket to remove the 1/8" npt adapter off each and put the one for your pressure bleeder on the CTA Tools 7040 adapter.

Be sure to keep the o-ring in place and don't over-torque the npt fitting in place since you run the risk of ripping the o-ring and since it is a pressurized system it WILL leak from that location if you rip it.

I am all set to do pressure bleeding tomorrow which will hopefully allow me to finish the damn brake job.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal