• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

The Next Level - Improving Drag Times - Ideas

Started by shoNoff, October 22, 2019, 03:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoNoff

Quote from: 802SHO on October 22, 2019, 12:30:50 PM
Quote from: SHOdded on October 22, 2019, 10:41:16 AM
There WILL be a next time, so do not despair :D  Now let's get to work on those 1.6s for your 60' !!!

I need some serious launch time.  And a new set of brakes, tires and suspension.

It's more a torque converter issue then the brakes for holding the car at the line. I wonder if going to an 18inch wheel and using more sidewall would help these cars launch. I'm thinking out loud god I had ideas. Stupid RDU and kids.
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

802SHO

Quote from: SM105K on October 22, 2019, 01:38:06 PM
There WILL be a next time, so do not despair :D  Now let's get to work on those 1.6s for your 60' !!!

I need some serious launch time.  And a new set of brakes, tires and suspension.

You put a radial on it right now and you are in the 1.60's.

True.  Its already a 1.72. 
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

802SHO

Quote from: shoNoff on October 22, 2019, 03:57:24 PM

It's more a torque converter issue then the brakes for holding the car at the line. I wonder if going to an 18inch wheel and using more sidewall would help these cars launch. I'm thinking out loud god I had ideas. Stupid RDU and kids.

Yeah, you're probably right.  New TC from GH?  I was thinking an 18x10 with a nice set of tires with enough sidewall to equal about the same outside diameter of my wheel/tire now.  All black so the smaller wheel isn't so noticeable.
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.

SHOdded

It is interesting that tires make so much of a difference.  Tire size makes effective gear ratio changes.  Equally important is tire pressure and sidewall softness.  Why?  Traction.  Ever watch Indy cars in action and how they crinkle?  That gets you going out of the gate.  Of course firmer sidewalls help you down the line, so you have to find thst balance. 

Tire pressures first.  No cost to try.  Typically 25-27 psi, may be just front, or all around.  Each tire type will behave differently.  If these are your dd tires, and you decide to use softer sidewall tires, raise pressure a bit to 40 psi to retain feel and performance on the roads.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SM105K

Honestly, I think the stock TC is more then adequate in our platform.  However, these cars are extremely heavy esp with the FWD bias.  I think a 18 rim and soft side wall isn't going to work as well as if he were to just strap a MT ET Street Pro on his current rims. 

The sidewall wrinkle could hook too well and bog the car. It will also put way more strain on the drive components.  The MT will give a little and slip a touch which will give him better traction and allow quicker wheel speed.  Also the tire will stay stable at high speed. 

He could even start the process of getting a two step.  That would help as well.   
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

shoNoff

Quote from: SM105K on October 23, 2019, 09:14:59 AM

Honestly, I think the stock TC is more then adequate in our platform.  However, these cars are extremely heavy esp with the FWD bias.  I think a 18 rim and soft side wall isn't going to work as well as if he were to just strap a MT ET Street Pro on his current rims. 

The sidewall wrinkle could hook too well and bog the car. It will also put way more strain on the drive components.  The MT will give a little and slip a touch which will give him better traction and allow quicker wheel speed.  Also the tire will stay stable at high speed. 

He could even start the process of getting a two step.  That would help as well.

So you are saving a torque convert designed for a luxury car with 365hp and 350tq is adequate for drag racing that car? Maybe at stock power levels. But at the power some of these guys are making it could be approved on. Just having a high stall would get these pigs off the line a bit harder. Plus having the higher stall speed could get rid of the hook bog. Also a slick with a softer sidewall is much easier on driveline components then a radial. The stiffer side wall of a radial creates wheel hop. The softer side wall absorbs driveline shock. A radial would be more stable on the street for high speed stability no doubt. Now I'm not saying slicks on an sho would work because they wouldn't. You can't get heat into them properly with the fwd biased system. Unfortunately at the moment we are forced into radials and 2200rpm launches. Plus it's about inertia it's much easier to get a small wheel moving. Hence why most drag cars run 15 inch wheels.

SM105K

Quote from: shoNoff on October 24, 2019, 11:08:39 AM

So you are saving a torque convert designed for a luxury car with 365hp and 350tq is adequate for drag racing that car? Maybe at stock power levels. But at the power some of these guys are making it could be approved on. Just having a high stall would get these pigs off the line a bit harder. Plus having the higher stall speed could get rid of the hook bog. Also a slick with a softer sidewall is much easier on driveline components then a radial. The stiffer side wall of a radial creates wheel hop. The softer side wall absorbs driveline shock. A radial would be more stable on the street for high speed stability no doubt. Now I'm not saying slicks on an sho would work because they wouldn't. You can't get heat into them properly with the fwd biased system. Unfortunately at the moment we are forced into radials and 2200rpm launches. Plus it's about inertia it's much easier to get a small wheel moving. Hence why most drag cars run 15 inch wheels.

Yes. I am saying that the TQ is adequate for the application.  Even with the power levels these are making it is still stupid low compared to others.  This is not a drag car.  It never will be as much as we want to argue about it.  It is a "luxury" car.  If people want to go stupid fast get a rear wheel drive car.  We are trying to go fast in a niche market.  Will a converter help?  Who knows.  The track record says no. Will I welcome the development...of course. 

A slick on a heavy fwd car will bog even with a high converter, esp when it starts transferring power to the rear...that will make it worse.  That will cause more strain on the FWD components because of the excessive grip.  You are using logic with your slick knowledge for a rear wheel drive car, you even said it. You can get heat into a slick on a SHO.  All you have to do disable the rear clutches, there are numerous ways to do this.

A two step, radial, and stock TC will be the quickest set up right now.  Hell if TQ Source could be eliminated cars could launch at 2800 rpm, and that will be awesome.    I have a log of my car holding the line at 2800 rpm, then it just keels over and dies because of TQ Source when I launch. 

Until a proven TQ is produced we are limited to exactly what you said. I am willing to bet all things being equal, a radial will always go faster than a slick on this platform.     
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

ZSHO

I think Tire weight should also be a factor and noticed my previous zet of Conti-DW summer tires were 5lbs lighter per wheel when compared to my current Dunlop sports.

Conti-DW - 29lbs

Dunlop sport- 34lbs

I'm not quite certain but the extra weight per wheel can sometimes cause potential traction issues to the AWD system but ultimately cause wear and tear to the suspension component's.

BTW- I'm hoping to be added to this thread in full gear and weight once I can troubleshoot this clunking noise coming from the front driver's side along with an wheel alignment! Fingers crossed. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SM105K

Quote from: ZSHO on October 24, 2019, 01:26:46 PM
I think Tire weight should also be a factor and noticed my previous zet of Conti-DW summer tires were 5lbs lighter per wheel when compared to my current Dunlop sport.

Conti-DW - 29lbs

Dunlops- 34lbs

I'm not quite certain but the extra weight per wheel can sometimes cause potential traction issues to the AWD system but ultimately cause wear and tear to the suspension component's.

BTW- I'm hoping to be added to this thread in full gear and weight once I can troubleshoot this clunking noise coming from the front driver's side along with an wheel alignment! Fingers crossed. Z

I too will be going to the track full weight with the same Conti-DW's as I did last time.  However, with new wider & lighter rims, TQ mounts, and dp's with my custom resonator set up.  Hopefully we can get close to clicking off an 11 with that set up.  I wanted to go to Street Car Takeover this past weekend, but the SHO wasn't out of the shop so yeah....

802SHO

Get after it Z and Easton!  I think the Conti DW are fairly decent overall and have taken me very far.  Yes I was also looking at tire weight.  With the XDI pump and upgraded nitrous dry shot to wet kit I should be able to overcome the additional 7 pounds per tire of the MT radial.  Those hogs weigh 36 pounds....however I am interested in going with a smaller wheel.....if I change wheels I'll go 10" wide, ditch my spacers and keep the overall same diameter by increasing sidewall.  But keeping my wheels and getting different tires sounds easier.  I'll leave the TC alone until I have to...but who knows as BPD is set to test GH's TC upgrade...not sure what version he has as I believe there are different ones to choose from.  Also BPD should be set to annihilate all records coming up next season.  Would be cool to see him just take it to a location still open.  Dyno numbers at least when it's done I hope. 

SHOdded

Lightening the tire/wheel setup can also cause hop, so balance is required.

Also, bpd's trans has been on stock converter since day 1.  A higher stall converter actually slowed track times down for a former member here.  So pick your pizen.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

6500rpm

The tire/wheel size could be a valid point with some limitations. This is going back some 30+ years ago, but I ran a 67 Camaro w/ 4.88 differential gears on 15" wheels and 31"x11" slicks. Depending on the diameter of the tire you can effectively change the final gear ratio to some degree for you guys tracking your car. I thought the non PP gear ratio cars were making up for it on the top end.  I was also playing with a friends dirt modified back then, and (not that it was fooling any cops and were not DOT) I ran a set of Hoosier tires with a medium compound on it around town occasionally. They were soft enough to keep the rocks out of the rubber, but plenty sticky compared to street tires. No clue how any of this plays out on a AWD vehicle, but if you want to go fast and have the money to throw at it for shits n grins......
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

shoNoff

Quote from: SM105K on October 24, 2019, 01:03:41 PM
Quote from: shoNoff on October 24, 2019, 11:08:39 AM

Yes. I am saying that the TQ is adequate for the application.  Even with the power levels these are making it is still stupid low compared to others.  This is not a drag car.  It never will be as much as we want to argue about it.  It is a "luxury" car.  If people want to go stupid fast get a rear wheel drive car.  We are trying to go fast in a niche market.  Will a converter help?  Who knows.  The track record says no. Will I welcome the development...of course. 

A slick on a heavy fwd car will bog even with a high converter, esp when it starts transferring power to the rear...that will make it worse.  That will cause more strain on the FWD components because of the excessive grip.  You are using logic with your slick knowledge for a rear wheel drive car, you even said it. You can get heat into a slick on a SHO.  All you have to do disable the rear clutches, there are numerous ways to do this.

A two step, radial, and stock TC will be the quickest set up right now.  Hell if TQ Source could be eliminated cars could launch at 2800 rpm, and that will be awesome.    I have a log of my car holding the line at 2800 rpm, then it just keels over and dies because of TQ Source when I launch. 

Until a proven TQ is produced we are limited to exactly what you said. I am willing to bet all things being equal, a radial will always go faster than a slick on this platform.     

Doesnt matter it it's awd, fwd rwd or anything else. The fact of the matter is a slick dead hooking is less shock to the drivetrain then a radial. It's proven the platform doesn't matter. A drag radial gets its traction from the compound alone and has a stiff side wall to corner on the street. The side wall takes none of the shock what so ever. The stiff side wall is prone to wheel hop. On a bias ply slick the side wall absorbs some the shock even on a dead hook. From personal experience on 10 second Fwd and many buddy's with 9 second dsm's. Trust me we broke a ton more parts on radial tires. But again my only fwd comparison is with stick cars. A lot more shock on a launch in a stick car for sure. The t/c we fully agree is fine for street and occasional track. But I took it to the extreme I'm thinking drag car here. Sometimes Andrew likes to take things to the extreme in his building lol. This i will say though, just because one person tried and failed on the t/c doesn't mean it will not work. Hell people just 2 years ago here were saying radials would never work on this car. All this being said I fully agree a 2step and radial with the stock tc would be the best set up right now. The only way I believe a slick would work on this platform would be a true 50/50 awd split or rear biased system. Even then a stock weight sho might be a bit to heavy and be unstable on the big end with a bias ply.

Now that Easton and I have taken the thread way off topic I'm sorry. Anyways good luck SM105K and Z. I hope to see 2 more 11 second cars up in this thread very soon. You both deserve it and have put tons of work in for it.

802SHO

Quote from: SHOdded on October 24, 2019, 05:29:03 PM
Lightening the tire/wheel setup can also cause hop, so balance is required.

Also, bpd's trans has been on stock converter since day 1.  A higher stall converter actually slowed track times down for a former member here.  So pick your pizen.

Not anymore though right?  Installing the GH TC on his new build and it was a 4 bolt when stock is a 3 bolt....I remember as we both have a 2010 so I would need to accomodate a 4 bolt as well. 

802SHO

Tim, its all good buddy, the content about the tires with you and Easton is relevant to the comments of what to change next year to try to go deeper into the 11's.  Good stuff!