• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

F150 Boost pressure feels limited

Started by Defhd10, March 01, 2020, 05:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Defhd10

Quote from: SHOdded on March 11, 2020, 03:56:11 PM
I definitely think it is software (or maybe PCM) related, since your Dad has basically the same truck with no issues.  You COULD swap PCMs like derf suggested earlier, but IDK how nicely it would play with PATS and other modules on your F150.
Yes my dads is the same truck to a T. Same strategy per what my x4 says when i read his vehicle info with it, and his runs flawlessl.  He has 90k on his truck and i only have 64k so thats why this is so upsetting to me. I really dont wanna go pulling his pcm to try in mine. Really think that could cause even more headache. My cousin has a 13 as well, but has not had the recall done, and his is still running perfect also. He has 87k if i remember. I took the truck back to the dealer that flashed it the first time and asked them to flash it again. They CLAIM it went through the flash again but i know it did not. Especially when i asked what i owed and they told me it was written up as "internal" and there was no charge. Plus when i got back in the truck nothing was changed like the date, time or radio sound settings as all these are reset after a flash.

SHOdded

Dunno what markers change with the flash as to what is visible to the public and tuners vs Ford.  Torrie can speak to that maybe.  AJP or Matt likely can provide insight on this as well.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Defhd10

Ive thought of trying another dealer to see if they would considering flashing again. Seems like thats my only option other then continuing to run it the way it is, which is not enjoyable at all. I know its not right, and that there is a problem, but i dont know what or where it is.

SHOdded

Unless the service manager is cooperative, another dealer is the best option, agreed.

I suppose they could roll it back to asbuilt then flash it with the update.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

Quote from: SHOdded on March 10, 2020, 08:56:51 AM
I remember a while back that compressor surge was mentioned on an F150 ... IF IRC lol.  Still could be a boost leak or a defective spring leading to control issues.  Have not heard of hoses popping off the F150, more on the SHOs, but that could always be.

Long read, but may be some treasures in here
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,4958.0.html

Would this have to do with them trying to solve overheating when towing?  I seem to recall part of the overheating fix for steady towing was to limit boost to keep exhaust and return oil temps down...
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Defhd10

Quote from: TopherSho on March 12, 2020, 10:06:46 AM
Quote from: SHOdded on March 10, 2020, 08:56:51 AM
I remember a while back that compressor surge was mentioned on an F150 ... IF IRC lol.  Still could be a boost leak or a defective spring leading to control issues.  Have not heard of hoses popping off the F150, more on the SHOs, but that could always be.

Long read, but may be some treasures in here
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,4958.0.html

Would this have to do with them trying to solve overheating when towing?  I seem to recall part of the overheating fix for steady towing was to limit boost to keep exhaust and return oil temps down...
Wouldnt a tune raise the boost then though?  Im being limited to the same amount both stock and tuned.

TopherSho

I'd ask Brad/AJP and or the tuner,  but bumping the max limits does bot control or affect most non-wot behavior IIRC.  Under non WoT you are on a oem tune for the most part unless the vendor goes balls deep to retune boost behavior when your under 70% throttle (might be 80%?)

Either way I know from Brad/Torrie tunes that My car (so not a full apple to apple) when i am not WoT there are more oem limits in use on the way it operates the WasteG, Bov's .. when i am WoT then i get the 14.5 / spark boosts to make the stumps cry
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

Defhd10

Quote from: TopherSho on March 12, 2020, 10:40:38 AM
I'd ask Brad/AJP and or the tuner,  but bumping the max limit does bot control or affect most non-wot behavior IIRC.  Under non WoT you are on a oem tune for the most part unless the vendor goes balls deep to retune boost behavior when your under 70% throttle (might be 80%?)

Either way I know from Brad/Torrie tunes that My car (do not a full apple to apple) when i am not WoT there are more oem limits in use on the way it operates the WasteG, Bov's .. when i am WoT then i get the 14.5 / spark boosts to make the stumps cry
I know something up. From pulling out from a stop lately,  the boost is very choppy. And between a shift, the boost will surge the whole way to 10psi at times. This is all on the stock tune as well.

SHOdded

I keep coming back to a stuck wastegate or a broken spring for hardware reasons.  But you have already eliminated those possibilities.  Hoses attached to the boost solenoid would be next.  But if they did not touch anything under the hood, a bad flash might still be the frontrunner in this race.

TopherSho

Quote from: SHOdded on March 12, 2020, 11:35:16 AM
I keep coming back to a stuck wastegate or a broken spring for hardware reasons.  But you have already eliminated those possibilities.  Hoses attached to the boost solenoid would be next.  But if they did not touch anything under the hood, a bad flash might still be the frontrunner in this race.

Is it possibly the Squid ?  (Boost control solenoid?)

SHOdded

Defhd10

Quote from: TopherSho on March 12, 2020, 11:39:16 AM
Quote from: SHOdded on March 12, 2020, 11:35:16 AM

Is it possibly the Squid ?  (Boost control solenoid?)
Tried a total of 3 different boost solenoids. None of which made any change. Hoses attached to it are all good with no leaks. 2 different sets of oem actuators were tried with no change. Im leaning towards a software issue, or maybe the possibility of the wastegate internally or a turbo itself going bad.

TopherSho

@all others,  how hard on a truck would it be to pop the front off the turbo to check for spindle play ?

Defhd10

Quote from: TopherSho on March 12, 2020, 12:17:40 PM
@all others,  how hard on a truck would it be to pop the front off the turbo to check for spindle play ?
From what i see, all intake/intercooler piping has to come out in order to gain access. there is very little room with how the tubos are placed behind the shock mount assembly to just get in behind them to pull tubing off.  Might be what it comes to on a nice weekend.

TopherSho