• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

tial wastegate for charge piping

Started by AJP turbo, July 30, 2016, 12:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSHO

Glad everything is working in your favor StealBlueSho and you can finally enjoy the SHO with optimum results to SHO for throughout the summer.....might be a good time to take her to the track.  Z   :thumb:

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FistyMcgee

From what I understand is that the setup /build/mod whatever you want to call it, that you made was really applicable only to the SHO side of the house because of the placement being on the noisemaker/noisemaker delete tubing. we should be able to attach this to another pipe on the MKS and make it universal. Is that right, EPP? I'm unusually excited about this.

My second assumption is that this does not have any real effect on tunes that are developed by unleashed/LMS. could I get input from you who have more experience than me on this topic, maybe even the LMS rep on the forum?

Thanks for the build log and sharing with us, this is really exciting!

AJP turbo

It could be used for just about any tune but it needs to coincide with your tune and the boost level you run...your tuner needs to have precise boost control or the the mod would be useless or over effective which will over work the turbo
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

StealBlueSho

You would need somewhere on the intake side to mount the wastegate, since it entire purposes is to bleed off the boost spikes. Not sure if closer to the TIP is helpful or not..

From a tuning perspective I have no doubt there is considerations involved in making sure that the tune works with the mod. I did load up an unleashed tune that was targeting a flat 201kpa for desired boost when WOT and gave it a run with the 15.95psi external wastegate spring. My internal WGDC was upper 90% through an entire 1st through 3rd gear run..

The tune from AJPTurbo was targeting slightly higher at 203kpa under WOT.. with the same 15.95 spring in my external WG my internal WGDC on the turbos was significantly lower in the 70's and lower 80's so no doubt there is tuning involved...

Colorado-SHOBro

Correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't a blow-off valve in the same location serve the same purpose as this mod? Would a BOV be able to exhaust the pressure in the system quickly enough to be effective and prevent boost spikes?
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

AJP turbo

It could work but a bov bleeds air off when you lift off the gas....i wanted something that bleeds the boost when i have my foot down

You are looking to regulate boost..thats what wastegates do..and there are alot of spring rates available i dont know if u have the selection with a bov

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

ZSHO

I purchased mine through Full-Race and IMHO great overall company and customer service and Corell at corell@full-race.com was very helpful in answering all my questions and here's the link and[spring rate] as AJP mentioned above.  Z  http://www.full-race.com/store/blow-off-valves/tial-bov-spring.html   :thumb:

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

AJP turbo

Quote from: ZSHO on September 30, 2016, 09:12:04 AM
I purchased mine through Full-Race and IMHO great overall company and customer service and Corell at corell@full-race.com was very helpful in answering all my questions and here's the link and[spring rate] as AJP mentioned above.  Z  http://www.full-race.com/store/blow-off-valves/tial-bov-spring.html   :thumb:

Z the fundamental operating principle is completely different....there may be a few springs available but im not even sure which spring you would choose....bov use vacuum to act on the diaphragm to open the valve.....at wot there is no vacuum so you need a device that will open on boost which is exactly what a wastegate does....once a desired pressure is reached then the gate opens....bov's dont work that way at all.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

ZSHO

Quote from: AJP turbo on September 30, 2016, 09:37:06 AM
Quote from: ZSHO on September 30, 2016, 09:12:04 AM

Z the fundamental operating principle is completely different....there may be a few springs available but im not even sure which spring you would choose....bov use vacuum to act on the diaphragm to open the valve.....at wot there is no vacuum so you need a device that will open on boost which is exactly what a wastegate does....once a desired pressure is reached then the gate opens....bov's dont work that way at all.
True....just wanted to throw in my positive experience with Full race and especially there customer support and pretty sure the collective minds will come up with a viable solution.  Z

SHOurpp

this is a great idea ajp!
i have an atr bov im going to modify for this
didnt even know i could use it!
duel 3 inch cat less down pipes
sct x4- as a scanner/logger only
3 bar map
hp tuners
both bovs vta

AJP turbo

Quote from: SHOurpp on September 30, 2016, 05:07:26 PM

I don't know if you can...Nobody has done it....Me thinks it's not the best way...I'm not sure why you would want to....It's completely backwards to try and adapt a device that's meant to hold boost under load and bleed pressure under vacuum.

A wastegate is meant to bleed boost or pressure under load

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: AJP turbo on September 30, 2016, 09:33:23 PM
Quote from: SHOurpp on September 30, 2016, 05:07:26 PM

I don't know if you can...Nobody has done it....Me thinks it's not the best way...I'm not sure why you would want to....It's completely backwards to try and adapt a device that's meant to hold boost under load and bleed pressure under vacuum.

A wastegate is meant to bleed boost or pressure under load
AJP is right. I thought a BOV was more or less just a device to release pressure on the intake side(to prevent compressor surge) vs a wastegate on the exhaust side to control turbo speed . . but after further reading it wouldn't work in this application since it gets sucked open instead of pushed open like a wastegate. My bad for introducing any confusion here. There's a company local to me that makes very affordable and good quality BOV's so i was just exploring it as an option vs a $250 wastegate.
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

StealBlueSho

$250 for the wastegate and then $35 or so to have the vband adapter welded to a dump pipe that needs to be bent in the correct position. It's not a cheap modification but well worth it if you are tuned by AJPTURBO.. running 0-60 all day @ 4.3second without break launching...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Well worth it considering it costs same or less than a CAI!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Quote from: SHOdded on October 01, 2016, 02:26:44 PM
Well worth it considering it costs same or less than a CAI!

Yeah and i can see data improvements ....not so much with the cai

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress