• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

tial wastegate for charge piping

Started by AJP turbo, July 30, 2016, 12:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

This is the newly patented AJP turbo "boost regulator". When any of the large companies copy and replicate this idea for mass production at least give me some recognition and gratitude.....You're welcome in advance.

In the SHO and probably  other ecoboost cars especially in automatics I think, there is an inherent nature to have boost spikes upon WOT upshifts...The turbos are spinning fast just before the shift then the engine RPM's suddenly fall and the turbo doesn't slow down fast enough and the engine isn't consuming the air at 4500 like it was at 6000. So airflow builds and boost spikes

If the throttle is left open then boost will spike...Ford uses the throttle in this case to close, then you get TIP spikes...When the throttle closes briefly it keeps MAP down to what it should have but the TIP pressure will spike because the airflow hits a wall(Throttle blade).

I've tried many ways to make the wastegates more responsive and adjust wastegate duty cycle tables but nothing worked well.

In a perfect world you want the throttle open for performance benefits but no boost spikes....I'll post pics of the benefits..Boost spikes are bad for fuel pressure, stft's and knock....Abrupt increase in load(boost) cause knock, fuel pressure gets depleted because fuel trims will increase to maintain afr because when pressure falls more injector duty is needed which sucks fuel from the rail...Pressure falls which can also lead to knock in direct injection where pressure is critical
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

In the first 2 pics pink is throttle, RPM is jagged and darker line is MAP(boost)...They aren't great examples because at higher commanded boost the boost spikes are worse so even though they look similar it really is a good improvement and fuel pressure was better...I'm trying not to crowd the pic with lines.

See boost peaks when the shift happens..When you use the throttle to control boost spikes, the peaks will be lower and the duration is shorter..Both of those improvements help.

The bottom pic with green line for boost is my tune with the "Boost regulator"...Peaks are drastically reduced

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

So how it works...I bought a very small gate...Tial MVS 38mm....It's really all you need..It bleeds off enough air...Think of it as a 1.5" boost leak when required. Then I bought an 38mm dumptube with a v band flange for a tial wastegate....A piece of rad hose. I cut the dumptube to the size I needed but did have to have the vband welded to the dump tube

I put the 17.9 psi spring set in the wastegate and you can see in the pics where I grabbed boost reference from and it only has to go into the bottom of the gate...

There is some special tuning that should go into this..If done wrong your turbo may be trying to hit a boost and the gate will just bleed it off...So if your desired tip is all over the place and your commanded boost is changing throughout the RPM's then you may have problems

I like to have the gate spring about 2 psi  over desired boost...Wastegates start to crack open before the spring rating...If your gate is starting to open then you wont hit your boost and the turbos will be overworked because there is a boost leak basically....If you run the boost commanded well under the spring you put in the wastegate then you aren't getting the benefits of the mod.

You will know it's working properly because at the upshift when boost spikes you will hear air rushing out of the wastegate....Say I'm targeting 16 psi and on my upshift I approach 17.9 psi because of the boost spike, the gate opens and bleeds off boost then when boost falls back to near 16 the gate is closed and all is back to normal

It sounds complicated but it's really not

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

J-Will

Makes sense to me AJ. Is there no way to replace the stock waste gates with these, or would that require disassembly of the turbos?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

AJP turbo

Quote from: J-Will on July 31, 2016, 08:21:54 AM
Makes sense to me AJ. Is there no way to replace the stock waste gates with these, or would that require disassembly of the turbos?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yeah i think there are turbo wastegate replacements available, which i dont see the point of

But this is completely different...so turbo wastegates regulate the speed of the turbos...this is on the charge pipe side...it opens when too much air is going into the engine

You always need wastegates for the turbos...this is independent of that.

Basically you are forced to choose...do you want to keep the throttle open for performance but suffer the symptoms that come with boost spikes..or use throttle to control spikes which slightly maybe hinders performance?...you dont have to choose with this mod

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

sholxgt

Cool stuff AJP!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a boost limiter valve would work for this as well.  It's built for this intended purpose I think.

I have a supercharged 5.0 Mustang and have researched boost limiter valves for it because my blower is too large for the motor I currently have.  So, I have to run a big pulley which gives me too little boost at lower rpm's.  My plan was to try a smaller pulley to bring boost in sooner and then use a boost limiting valve to bleed boost up higher since the blower flows too much air for the 302.

I think that same device could be used in this case.  The only thing that I'm uncertain of is which one can react quicker.  Maybe a wastegate is quicker?  I think the boost limiting valve can flow more air though.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

EcoPowerParts

I could build a mount into my hot pipes as an option :)
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

sholxgt

This mod could have us MKS guys wishing we had the noise generator plumbing.  We would need EPP's hot pipes :)
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

AJP turbo

Sho me what a boost limiter valve is?...they make something called a tq booster for prochargers...its basically the same idea...you over pulley the blower to get low end boost then it bleeds off the amount above what you put in the wastegate spring..

I dont know what can be quicker than this....its a wastegate....the instant boost overcomes the pressure of the diaphragm spring it opens, bleeding off boost.....its a pressure regulator

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

sholxgt

Quote from: AJP turbo on July 31, 2016, 07:12:56 PM
Sho me what a boost limiter valve is?...they make something called a tq booster for prochargers...its basically the same idea...you over pulley the blower to get low end boost then it bleeds off the amount above what you put in the wastegate spring..

I dont know what can be quicker than this....its a wastegate....then instant boost overcomes the pressure of the diaphragm spring it opens, bleeding off boost.....its a pressure regulator

http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/boostlimitervalve.php

I agree about the wastegate being fast.  My fear with the boost limiter is that it may not be as fast, but it can probably handle higher amounts of airflow if needed.

AJP turbo

Yeah that may work too....but wastegates are meant to bleed alot of air and they are robust because they normally handle exhaust from the turbo amd meant to make alot of exhaust bypass the turbo to slow it down

Eco power parts you should make this and make it look pretty....its super functional

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: AJP turbo on July 31, 2016, 07:32:35 PM
Yeah that may work too....but wastegates are meant to bleed alot of air and they are robust because they normally handle exhaust from the turbo amd meant to make alot of exhaust bypass the turbo to slow it down

Eco power parts you should make this and make it look pretty....its super functional
I'll get a mount and make you a pipe, you can test and prove it out and then I can offer it. Work?
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

AJP turbo

Quote from: EcoPowerParts on July 31, 2016, 07:49:46 PM
Quote from: AJP turbo on July 31, 2016, 07:32:35 PM

I'll get a mount and make you a pipe, you can test and prove it out and then I can offer it. Work?

Sure...you saw my pics?..i came off of the noise maker pipe...you talking about a pipe from the intercooler outlet to the throttle body that would have a vband so you can mount the wastegate?

I bought the tial mvs 38mm..its the most compact i think....really dont need a large gate

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

ZSHO

Pat Pending anyone!!!.  Z   :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

AJP turbo

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress