• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Slicks on all 4 corners

Started by EcoPowerParts, January 28, 2013, 09:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoPowerParts

I'm looking more and more at running a slick in all 4 corners of my Flex, I know I can fit 17" wheels stock and I even have a set of 17" takoff mustang wheels at my house (I could always buy something else of course). The EVO guys run 17" MT slicks on their cars, I'm thinking that they would be enough for us as well until we get WAY more power than we have now. I'm looking at the MT motorcycle 7 x 17 x 26 tire which the EVO's use already.

Any comments?
:)
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

EcoPowerParts

www.ecopowerparts.com -
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.

EcoPowerParts

www.ecopowerparts.com -

EcoBrick Bob

I still don't think you need slicks on the rear.  I would be looking at either Hoosier 17" DR's (only 22 lbs) or 18" Nitto DR's (28-30 lbs).  You will have to find similar diameter rears.  Reason I went with Nitto's was that I could install on 18" x 9" TSW Interlagos.  They were about the only lightweight 9" wide wheel available.  Went with 18" because I wanted to eventually match 4 summer tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sports) on 4 !8" x 9" Interlagos, which I did last summer.

If you get any spin on front, the slicks on rear won't spin, and you may get a possible shutdown.  Better to allow rears to possibly spin by using a lightweight summer or A/S tire. 

If you go with non radial tires, you need to do it all the way around. Not good to mix.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

EcoPowerParts

I don't know if I could fit the the 28x17x10 slicks on the front of my Flex, but the 26x17x8.5 would fit great I would imagine. I would just need to put on a 245/45-17 rear tire to match the front slick on the Mustang wheels I have at the house.
HMMM
Might need some custom axles soon after that! :)
www.ecopowerparts.com -

EcoBrick Bob

Sounds like a plan!

My Hoosier DR's ( 17" -275x40 on 09' G8) are mounted on 9.5" rims.

The Nitto 05R DR's (18" - 285x40 first on Flex and now on 08' G8) were mounted on 9" rims for Flex and 9.5" rims for G8.  BIGGG difference in weight.  Hoosiers and rims are around 44 lbs, and the Nittos and rims are over 54 lbs.  Weight does make a difference.....
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011

Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

bnoon

For you guys that are getting serious enough to run dr or slicks, I'm surprised that I haven't seen anyone mention rear helper airbags to minimize rear squat and/or front limiter straps to minimize front end rise. I've seen both of these used on awd racing platforms with great success. I'd run the same tire all around with these parts in place.

bnoon

... and as soon as i post that i see a couple of posts about rear bags LOL.  :bow:

EcoBrick Bob

I have Firestone rear air bags to keep front planted... have used since summer of 2011!!!  I also run H & R springs.

baggedsvt

I would stick with a DR at this time.  Slicks on all four are not needed for a couple reasons.  One the rear does not get nearly enough of the tq as the fronts.  Two without any real traction aids up front you run the risk of breaking axles as they are going to grip the track and you will have wheel hop like never before.  The MT DR is an excellent tire and I think It is plenty for the power levels right now.  The DR is going to allow you more mph on the big end as well.  A normal summer tire should do well in the rear.

bnoon

I would do dr too mainly because I have seen tests back to back severalbdrs.vs slicks and they were all very bery comparable. The only real advantage noted was in a stick shift car the softer sidewall of a slick softened the initial tq shock to the track and kept them out of axle hop etc.

EcoBrick Bob

If you check out the Devastation Motorsports video of my Flex beating the Gran Sport Vette, you can see front DR's in action.  They were 285-40 18" Nitto' 05R on TSW Interlago's 18" x 9" rims.  Rear tires were 255-45-18 Conti DW's, which at that time, I was running all around on the street. The DW's were great tires except when it got below 40 deg.  Then they got hard. Don't handle as well as the 4 Michelin Pilot Super Sports I now run on the TSW wheels.

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: EcoBrick Bob on February 09, 2013, 11:40:23 AM
If you check out the Devastation Motorsports video of my Flex beating the Gran Sport Vette, you can see front DR's in action.  They were 285-40 18" Nitto' 05R on TSW Interlago's 18" x 9" rims.  Rear tires were 255-45-18 Conti DW's, which at that time, I was running all around on the street. The DW's were great tires except when it got below 40 deg.  Then they got hard. Don't handle as well as the 4 Michelin Pilot Super Sports I now run on the TSW wheels.
I'm going to have about 150 more whp than I do now, I'm going to need some serous traction soon.  Working on power first then suspension mods to handle the HP.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

www.ecopowerparts.com -