• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New to me 2011 MKS Ecoboost need advice

Started by Mml665, July 19, 2020, 05:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mml665

As the title states I have a new to me 2011 MKS,the passenger side headlight bulb seems to have burned out. Would anyone be able to provide info for the appropriate replacement bulb? Is the D3S bulb the correct bulb? Amazon has two D3S bulbs
6000K for $25

D3S D3R OEM HID Xenon Headlight Replacement for Philips or OSRAM Bulbs 35W Per Bulb 2PCS(6000K Crystal White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHGF71D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2GlfFbW45C8EM

Also I'm suspicious of the sway bar links, the front end is making noise similar to the noise my Mazda Tribute did, I replaced the links with Moog links.

Any recommendations and parts experiences are greatly appreciated.

ridered74

Quote from: Mml665 on July 19, 2020, 05:20:58 PM
As the title states I have a new to me 2011 MKS,the passenger side headlight bulb seems to have burned out. Would anyone be able to provide info for the appropriate replacement bulb? Is the D3S bulb the correct bulb? Amazon has two D3S bulbs
6000K for $25

D3S D3R OEM HID Xenon Headlight Replacement for Philips or OSRAM Bulbs 35W Per Bulb 2PCS(6000K Crystal White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHGF71D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2GlfFbW45C8EM

Also I'm suspicious of the sway bar links, the front end is making noise similar to the noise my Mazda Tribute did, I replaced the links with Moog links.

Can't help with the headlights, but my SHO made a noise going over bumps. It's common for the strut mount to go bad and make a thump when you go over a speed bump or similar. I did the end links first and the noise did not go away until I replaced the entire strut.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

Mml665

Quote from: ridered74 on July 20, 2020, 01:57:59 AM
6000K for $25

Can't help with the headlights, but my SHO made a noise going over bumps. It's common for the strut mount to go bad and make a thump when you go over a speed bump or similar. I did the end links first and the noise did not go away until I replaced the entire strut.
Is it possible to replace the strut mounts as opposed to the entire strut? Only reason I ask is because the struts seem fine.

ridered74

Quote from: Mml665 on July 20, 2020, 08:56:30 AM
6000K for $25

Is it possible to replace the strut mounts as opposed to the entire strut? Only reason I ask is because the struts seem fine.

Pretty sure it is possible.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

Mml665

Quote from: ridered74 on July 20, 2020, 11:28:20 PM
Quote from: Mml665 on July 20, 2020, 08:56:30 AM
6000K for $25

Pretty sure it is possible.
I appreciate the input!!!

Black Dream

I bought some 6K HIDs for my MKS last year and D3S is the correct bulb.  Installing them is such a pain I put it off for a year and finally replaced them a while back.  I had to take off the bumper to do it and that's not a lot of fun.  Some folks here have done it w/o messing with the bumper but I don't know how.  I have small hands and tried that first with no success lol.

I also replaced the fogs with 6K LEDs last year and they look/work great.  Here's a shot with both sets installed.

2010 MKS Eco, Airaid, SCT X4, Unleashed, SP542 plugs, 3 bar MAP and current daily.

2006 Pontiac GTO M6, 1 of 101 exactly like her, bone stock, lost to flood 5/19, gone but not forgotten....

Mml665

Quote from: Black Dream on August 03, 2020, 08:33:59 PM
I bought some 6K HIDs for my MKS last year and D3S is the correct bulb.  Installing them is such a pain I put it off for a year and finally replaced them a while back.  I had to take off the bumper to do it and that's not a lot of fun.  Some folks here have done it w/o messing with the bumper but I don't know how.  I have small hands and tried that first with no success lol.

I also replaced the fogs with 6K LEDs last year and they look/work great.  Here's a shot with both sets installed.
So today I started messing with the headlight that was out, first I loosened the bumper trying to slide arm through, that was a no go. I reached it through the engine bay, by pulling the washer bottle neck to the side.  When I removed the rubber cap I noticed the harness was not plugged in. First I wasted half an hour with various needle nose pliers trying to plug the harness, I failed miserably. So I fiddled with what I thought was the bulb assembly, however the bulb didn't come out just what I believe is the ballast/igniter. I plugged the harness in and fiddled with it for what seemed eternity and finally it seared properly and clicked in. I'm thinking that the harness unplugged when the adaptive headlight had turned to the right, because it wasn't centered in the housing adding to the difficulty of  removal and reinstallation. So I didn't end up using the new bulbs, I may save them for later.

Black Dream

Glad it's working correctly now. I do like the replacement bulbs a lot better than stock though.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

2010 MKS Eco, Airaid, SCT X4, Unleashed, SP542 plugs, 3 bar MAP and current daily.

2006 Pontiac GTO M6, 1 of 101 exactly like her, bone stock, lost to flood 5/19, gone but not forgotten....

Mml665

Quote from: Black Dream on August 04, 2020, 05:43:38 AM
Glad it's working correctly now. I do like the replacement bulbs a lot better than stock though.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
I like your upgrade, and it looks much better. My car has more pressing issues I need to handle first. My goal is to tackle suspension and mechanical, and then cosmetic issues and upgrades. The front bumper has a lot of issues and if open that Pandora's box I will be in for a nightmare lol