• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

looking for help on how to install a duraflex chin lip on 2010 SHO

Started by scott320, November 28, 2015, 01:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scott320

bpd1151

Mind you, some of these pictures are dated, but still applicable.

I am on my 2nd chin spoiler, as my 1st one got grenaded by the mother load of all raccoon's a couple of years back, which took out the right side, the right LED marker, and the right front wheel well liner.

In a very quick explanation, essentially, the chin spoiler acts as a replacement for, the factory front lower piece, which is textured/dimpled craptastic plastic.

You can see it in this image below, in which it's still attached to the car, and the aftermarket custom chin spoiler piece is place onto the ground below it.

To remove this piece, you'll have to jack up the front end, crawl underneath, and scope out all the flat tabs that are located all around the factory piece, where it fastens it to the bottom of the front bumper clip.

You'll have to disengage these tabs (I think I pressed downwards on them) to dislodge them and free the lower cladding piece, from the front bumper clip.

Also, IIRC, there are small screws all along the bottom of the factory cladding, which helps fasten the smaller of the two under belly pans, to the cladding. You'll have to remove all of those as well.

Once you remove the factory piece, it will look essentially like the following images (note all the slots where the tabs from the cladding pressed into the lower front bumper):

In these pics below, you can see all along the bottom of the front bumper clip, a channel which looks like a backwards letter 'c'.

You will want to position the top part of the custom chin spoiler (which has a 90 degree, horizontal edge all along it's top, and mate it into this channel.

From the backside, or from underneath the car, my body shop guys and I, filled this entire channel with a VERY STRONG 2 part epoxy/adhesive, which literally had a working window of approximately 15min before it started setting up and/or hardening.

I don't know what that stuff was called, but the adhesive/caulking gun the shop used held two cans, 1 part of each, and it mixed together as it was coming out of the gun's nozzle.

Looking at the last of the 3 pics immediately above, you note on the far back side a piece of metal.

This was just flat metal stock, that we custom cut, then bent into an almost 90 degree, and used the same two part epoxy to fasten it to the backside of the chin spoiler, then we used a pop rivet to fasten the front part of the wheel well liner, to the spoiler.

Now we did use painter's tape as a means to fasten the chin spoiler, to the front bumper clip, albeit it temporarily, as we were running out of hands so to speak.

That's about all I am able to contribute to your request for install help.

There weren't any directions in either of my order's I placed for this item.

Not for the 1st time I ordered it, nor for the 2nd time when I had to replace it after the raccoon took it out.

You'll have to figure some of this stuff out on your own, as it literally is a custom job to get this piece installed properly.

If you have additional questions, as they should arise, I might be able to lend assistance accordingly, but the above is it in a nutshell.

It should look sharp once it's completed though.

loweredd

2010 Eco Flex

Map, plugs, thermostat, 91 Torrie Tune.

Wilson

Quote from: loweredd on November 30, 2015, 12:17:55 AM
Whoa! I want a Flex one!
No kidding. I wish they made stuff like this for the 2013+ SHO as well.

Mike's car is beyond sick.

Wilson

2013 SHO (non-PP) Ruby Red Tintcoat
Leading Edge Tuning 93 Tune | 3 Bar MAP | 170* Thermostat | Airaid Intake | PPE 2.5" Downpipes | Snow Stage 2 Meth Kit | H&R Lowering Springs | 22" Falken RT-7M wheels | 265/35/22 Falken Ziex TZ05 tires

USMCSHO341

Those wheels are so sick. I want those!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomc612

Quote from: scott320 on November 28, 2015, 01:04:49 PM
Seeking any help on a duraflex chin lip install

I will throw it on for ya..swing by anytime after 1000

ZSHO

Eh- bpd1151 Finally some restored PICS of the lovely SHO-GALS.  Z  :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

derfdog15

IIRC the spoiler that BPD has will work on a new (13+) SHO, since the general bumper shape/dynamic is the same. There may be some slight modification needed but from re-installing a factory piece on mine, it seems almost identical to what BPD is showing on his car.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

bpd1151

Quote from: derfdog15 on November 14, 2017, 11:21:24 AM
IIRC the spoiler that BPD has will work on a new (13+) SHO, since the general bumper shape/dynamic is the same. There may be some slight modification needed but from re-installing a factory piece on mine, it seems almost identical to what BPD is showing on his car.
A 2013+ owner did manage to pull off the install successfully. So it can be done. From what I recall, it did require some extra finagling/customization, but they did it.

Not sure which community, or where the thread is at.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FearlessAZ

So the duraflex chin lip actually replaces the OEM plastic lip underneath? I noticed mine was split in the corner the other day and wouldn't mind this as a replacement if I need to find a new one
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

bpd1151

Quote from: FearlessAZ on November 14, 2017, 12:41:48 PM
So the duraflex chin lip actually replaces the OEM plastic lip underneath? I noticed mine was split in the corner the other day and wouldn't mind this as a replacement if I need to find a new one
Yes.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk