• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Lowering Springs vs Coil overs

Started by Josephm, April 02, 2014, 11:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephm

Why do people choose coil overs over just getting the springs?

I understand there is the adjust ability but i don't see for see anyone tracking(auto-x) our cars minus the 1/4 mile.

Can someone fill me in on why.
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

SRT82ECOBOOST

I would say it all comes down to adjustability as you stated. The ability to raise the car in the winter and lower in the summer would be a great bonus in the Northeast.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

SwampRat

Adjustability for ride height and ride quality from firm to soft, plus the ability to lower your ride even further than with just lowering springs if you want to .
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

Lanson

For the Flex at least, I would also say this:

The coilovers have better damping characteristics (which are adjustable to taste), whereas the H&R springs are great but a little too stiff for the shocks so there's this sensation of the springs working harder than the shocks.  It isn't perfectly matched. 

Coilovers can get quite a bit lower, or of course you could raise them a bit if you want.

Lastly, the coilovers are of course, also shocks so you're getting new shocks out of the deal.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

FoMoCoSHO

I feel like dialing in coilovers might drive me insane....

BiGMaC

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on April 02, 2014, 06:57:10 PM
I feel like dialing in coilovers might drive me insane....

We're all crazy now!.... It's the rides... Could it get worse? :P

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Josephm

12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete