• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Drag Rim Size

Started by Macgyver, April 13, 2019, 11:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macgyver

Since the SHO comes in different rims sizes. 18" PI, 19", and 20".

Would the PI rims size yield the best launch time with the same tire?

Just wondering if peeps here would benefit and lose a 1/10th they are looking for with the 60'.

TopherSho

Quote from: Macgyver on April 13, 2019, 11:19:20 PM
Since the SHO comes in different rims sizes. 18" PI, 19", and 20".

Would the PI rims size yield the best launch time with the same tire?

Just wondering if peeps here would benefit and lose a 1/10th they are looking for with the 60'.

Tough call, if you go from 20-18" and air them right and they are grippy enough you might be able to drop 5 thousands off the 60' .. but you will be dropping trap speed.. might just be a wash
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

SHOdded

Mike (Ecopowerparts) was using 18s with mickeys for the fronts for his drag setup IIRC.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

802SHO

Wheel and Tire weight will make a difference as well.  My Mickey Thompson 20x9 SC-5 wheels weigh 29 lbs.  My front tires 245/40/20 Continental Extreme Contact DW tires weigh 25.2 lbs.  My rear 275/35/20 of the same tire weigh 26 lbs.  Total combined wheel and Tire weight is 218.4 lbs.  Lighter wheels/tires improve acceleration and decrease stopping distance.

I believe stock is something around 240 lbs total. 
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

SHOdded

Combine lighter wheels/tires with locked down suspension, you'll have a winner!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Macgyver

That's my point. People here are trying everything for that last 10th or two. You will hook up better with fat 18s and not lose any trap speed. You are still using the smae diameter tire. If you get light 18s with some really sticky tires. Boom. Wonder what it would really do combined with what was said above. HR spings and or Coilovers along with the new Engine mounts.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

bpd1151

DR's were tried previously. Back in like 2012.

Couple of guys out of Michigan.

They were slower in the 1/4 as a result of their use.

Problem was, the inability to warm them up, no thanks to the AWD aspects of the platform.

Lighter wheels also netted slower times, because they caused to much wheel spin and hop.

Custom traction bars/straps were tried too, and also didn't result in any appreciable improvement(s).

Suffice to say, neither of them had the now recently made available trans mounts.

Not sure if the addition of them would've made a difference  back then.

Unfortunately, both owners have since sold their SHO's, and have moved away from the platform.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Macgyver

Good points. Forgot about the inability to heat tires up.

Why would less rotational mass slow a SHO down tho ?

Anyway. That was 7 years ago. A lot has changed.

bpd1151

As I said, the lighter the wheels, the more it causes loss of traction.

Loss of traction then in turn, causes the throttle to shut down, ultimately ending the fun altogether.

Always interesting to see new attempts regardless.

Jordan

Lighter wheels will never make you slower if they are of equivalent size. If you lose traction from lighter wheels launch lighter, but I doubt that would ever be the case.... Unless your wheels weigh a hundred lbs each... You are reducing drivetrain inefficiencies with lighter wheels. You don't make more power at the crank but you would at the wheels.
World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque

bpd1151

I'm not out to argue with you Jordan, just advising the community what happened directly with owners who've performed the proposed "enchancments" themselves.

What I've consistently seen over the years, is that what common practices, and ideologies that have applied to others cars/models/etc. have not proven to be the same, or perform the same, on the late model SHO platform.

As the great Yoda says......

ZSHO

The lighter the wheel the slight chance of wheel hop IIRC!  Z

The Flower wheels alone weigh 28.4. Pounds each.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

802SHO

I must say I can't tell the difference from the stockers to my wheel/tire combo but I "just knew" it to be better!?  Lol all I know is that I, like many other fellow ecoboosters need more traction. 
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

18SHO

Quote from: ZSHO on April 14, 2019, 04:59:14 PM
The lighter the wheel the slight chance of wheel hop IIRC!  Z

The Flower wheels alone weigh 28.4. Pounds each.

Damn those wheels are light then, I had a 2005 Pontiac GTO the stock 18s weighed 34 lbs without tires and my 2015 Mustang GT wheels weighed 33 lbs and they were 19s .
2018 SHO PP factory stock for now
AJPTURBO E30 tune stock plugs .028 gap
5.25.19 12.53 @ 112.96 1.85 60FT 1850 DA 71 F
Best trap 113.61

Jordan

I think if there is any issues with there being a slower or having issues with a different wheel set up it's probably correlated to new tires and not so much the wheel. There is quite a bit of mathematics that would go into it and all of them point into improvements. I mean there is a reason almost every new vehicle comes with aluminum wheels over the old school steely style despite costing more to produce. Not trying to argue, but until I see data that says otherwise I am going to stick with the science.
World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque