• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Lessons Learned & Memories Earned

Started by shoNoff, May 28, 2019, 04:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoNoff

Quote from: SM105K on May 28, 2019, 02:39:37 PM
Quote from: shoNoff on May 28, 2019, 01:20:57 PM
Quote from: Jordan on May 28, 2019, 01:10:04 PM
Quote from: shoNoff on May 28, 2019, 01:07:21 PM
Quote from: 802SHO on May 28, 2019, 12:55:22 PM
I just go by feel...it if feels good I go for it.....wait lol

I might learn how to shallow stage this year.  Doing well being a noob though

I will teach you kemosabe. Very very simple to do. Really I pre stage and I roll into stage as slow as possible. As soon as I see the staged light flicker I know one more inch and I'm in. At the speeds of our cars you are talking most likely only .03-.05 tops in et. And I'm not even sure it's that much.

Haha, every hundredth counts when you are only a quarter second from the overall record

100% Jordan. I believe if memory serves me correct it takes 1 foot of rollout for your tire to break the beam. That's if you are staged shallow. Deep I believe you can get that down to roughly 6 inches. So again shallow will basically give you a running start. God I'm giving out all my drag racing secrets now  ;). I can really teach you guys how to fool your competitors eyes bracket racing too. But that could be a different thread lol.

Fooling bracket racers is easy.  Get out on them and pull the e brake right at 1200 feet. HEHE.

Funny story about. I nearly got tossed out of Moroso motorsports park (now palm beach raceway) roughly 15 years ago. I had a big block foxbody I used to bracket race. Car ran low 10's high 9's. Anyways I was out on a dragster and I had just replaced the 11 inch drums for wilwood discs on the rear. I smashed the peddle going through the lights locked up all 4 tires in a big cloud of smoke. Let's just say I got a strong talking to and the track manager nearly threw me out. I was told and I quote "we don't do that god damn Yankee drag racing down here." My 22 year old punk response "great I'm a Red Sox fan."
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

SM105K

Quote from: shoNoff on May 28, 2019, 04:39:11 PM

I will teach you kemosabe. Very very simple to do. Really I pre stage and I roll into stage as slow as possible. As soon as I see the staged light flicker I know one more inch and I'm in. At the speeds of our cars you are talking most likely only .03-.05 tops in et. And I'm not even sure it's that much.

Haha, every hundredth counts when you are only a quarter second from the overall record

100% Jordan. I believe if memory serves me correct it takes 1 foot of rollout for your tire to break the beam. That's if you are staged shallow. Deep I believe you can get that down to roughly 6 inches. So again shallow will basically give you a running start. God I'm giving out all my drag racing secrets now  ;). I can really teach you guys how to fool your competitors eyes bracket racing too. But that could be a different thread lol.

Fooling bracket racers is easy.  Get out on them and pull the e brake right at 1200 feet. HEHE.

Funny story about. I nearly got tossed out of Moroso motorsports park (now palm beach raceway) roughly 15 years ago. I had a big block foxbody I used to bracket race. Car ran low 10's high 9's. Anyways I was out on a dragster and I had just replaced the 11 inch drums for wilwood discs on the rear. I smashed the peddle going through the lights locked up all 4 tires in a big cloud of smoke. Let's just say I got a strong talking to and the track manager nearly threw me out. I was told and I quote "we don't do that god damn Yankee drag racing down here." My 22 year old punk response "great I'm a Red Sox fan."

Haha, I did the same thing in my Nitrous Mustang.  The track manager scolded me too, and then told me to be smart about it.  He told me to push and hold the button and lift the hand brake, the brake lights won't engage.......Viola....blew my 21 year old mind.

I then showed my girl friend.  On motor the car ran 15.00 at 86 mph.  She was a bracket killer. She would leave at 5000 rpm and just start banging gears....better then me.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

shoNoff

Quote from: SM105K on May 28, 2019, 05:01:21 PM

Haha, I did the same thing in my Nitrous Mustang.  The track manager scolded me too, and then told me to be smart about it.  He told me to push and hold the button and lift the hand brake, the brake lights won't engage.......Viola....blew my 21 year old mind.

I then showed my girl friend.  On motor the car ran 15.00 at 86 mph.  She was a bracket killer. She would leave at 5000 rpm and just start banging gears....better then me.

That's too funny man. The best bracket car I ever owned was a stock 90 lx hatchback automatic. The car legit ran 14.84 @ 91mph every single pass. That was until the AOD exploded like 6 times.

18SHO

Quote from: shoNoff on May 28, 2019, 06:51:52 PM
Quote from: SM105K on May 28, 2019, 05:01:21 PM

That's too funny man. The best bracket car I ever owned was a stock 90 lx hatchback automatic. The car legit ran 14.84 @ 91mph every single pass. That was until the AOD exploded like 6 times.

My first ever car was at 14 years old a 85 mustang GT last year carburetor only had 63k orig miles, did some mods and when I turned 16 got my license off to the track. Had a manual 5 speed but s*** 2.73 rear gears ran 14.60 14.70 consistently and I got my first bracket trophy with it. Love the Fox bodies!
2018 SHO PP factory stock for now
AJPTURBO E30 tune stock plugs .028 gap
5.25.19 12.53 @ 112.96 1.85 60FT 1850 DA 71 F
Best trap 113.61

shoNoff

Hahaha the old 2.73 gears. Could go 90mph in 2nd with a 5spd car lol. I love the 4 eye fox body. My favorite one by far. I had an 84 notchback for a long time. Wish I kept it. The only mod that automatic had was 4.10 gears. 3.55's or 3.73's were useless in the automatic.I've owned 14 foxbody's in the last 20 years. Love those cars, they don't stop, handle or go for s*** but man I love them.

18SHO

Quote from: shoNoff on May 28, 2019, 07:28:22 PM
Hahaha the old 2.73 gears. Could go 90mph in 2nd with a 5spd car lol. I love the 4 eye fox body. My favorite one by far. I had an 84 notchback for a long time. Wish I kept it. The only mod that automatic had was 4.10 gears. 3.55's or 3.73's were useless in the automatic.I've owned 14 foxbody's in the last 20 years. Love those cars, they don't stop, handle or go for s*** but man I love them.

Yea 2.73 gears were hilarious, i got 24 mpg on the highway carbureted v8 lol. They most certainly weren't the best handlers or stoppers but they looked good , sounded good but were fun as hell . I always tell everyone they are the best burnout car one can buy very very light in the rear with a solid rear axle . They did it , I did 1000 burnouts the first year I had my license
Best trap 113.61

802SHO

Somewhere along the way, a lot of posts back I felt like a kid again sitting at a table while the grownups (ShoNoff, SM105K, 18SHO) are eating and having an "adult" conversation .....not knowing what they're saying so I just agree and nod my head, look for social cues to share in the laughter ...thinking maybe one day I'll have this knowledge and be able to understand what theyre saying........
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

SHOdded

LOL.  Always something to learn, and somebody to learn from :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

shoNoff

Quote from: 802SHO on May 29, 2019, 05:27:59 AM
Somewhere along the way, a lot of posts back I felt like a kid again sitting at a table while the grownups (ShoNoff, SM105K, 18SHO) are eating and having an "adult" conversation .....not knowing what they're saying so I just agree and nod my head, look for social cues to share in the laughter ...thinking maybe one day I'll have this knowledge and be able to understand what theyre saying........

Lmao to funny man.

SM105K

Blahaha shallow staging, fooling bracket racers, everyone had a Fox body. 

Mine was awesome.  1989 GT Convertible, 12 point cage, weighed 3800 with me in it.  Blew up the stock 5 speed, and put in a Turbo Coupe 5 speed.  1st and 2nd gear were short, 3rd gear was long.  Car had 3.73's and was a full suspension and bolt on car.  On the motor it made 186 hp and ran 15.00s at 86 mph all day with a 1.90 sixty.  On a 275 drag radial if you didnt leave at 5k it would bog. Timing was down, X cam, everything controlled by an Anderson PMS.  Both kits were run manually controlled by me.  One on the shifter, and one on the steering wheel.   

On the first kit (200 direct port fogger) it made 380ish hp and usually ran a 12.70 to 12.80 at 108 mph depending on the air.  I would cut a low 1.80 sixty.  I would use the direct port first because it was less violent then the Shark nozzle fogger. Drop the clutch grab the direct port fogger ASAP.

Next came the Shark Nozzle.  Stand alone fuel system, race fuel, ect. It was pilled at (225 most the time) and right when I would grab second, I would grab that fogger. Since I couldn't pill the direct port any bigger at the time (fuel restriction) and the fogger was too violent for first gear, my sixty foot on both kits was usually a mid 1.70 (my SHO has gone 1.77 to sixty lol).  With both kits, the car made 550 ish hp and would nip into the 10.70's and 10.80's at right around 126 mph.  Fastest it went was a perfect pass for me. I was early on the buttons between shifts and let the rpms hit higher in the shifts (somehow the Ram Clutch held) and it went 10.59 at 124.  Then i tried to replicate it, and blew a head gasket on a missed shift... lesson learned.

The look on people's faces, one pass 15.00, next pass 10.80....lol. When the GF learned how to use the Nitrous, I had to fight her to get out of the car......

"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

18SHO

Quote from: SM105K on May 29, 2019, 08:29:48 AM

Mine was awesome.  1989 GT Convertible, 12 point cage, weighed 3800 with me in it.  Blew up the stock 5 speed, and put in a Turbo Coupe 5 speed.  1st and 2nd gear were short, 3rd gear was long.  Car had 3.73's and was a full suspension and bolt on car.  On the motor it made 186 hp and ran 15.00s at 86 mph all day with a 1.90 sixty.  On a 275 drag radial if you didnt leave at 5k it would bog. Timing was down, X cam, everything controlled by an Anderson PMS.  Both kits were run manually controlled by me.  One on the shifter, and one on the steering wheel.   

On the first kit (200 direct port fogger) it made 380ish hp and usually ran a 12.70 to 12.80 at 108 mph depending on the air.  I would cut a low 1.80 sixty.  I would use the direct port first because it was less violent then the Shark nozzle fogger. Drop the clutch grab the direct port fogger ASAP.

Next came the Shark Nozzle.  Stand alone fuel system, race fuel, ect. It was pilled at (225 most the time) and right when I would grab second, I would grab that fogger. Since I couldn't pill the direct port any bigger at the time (fuel restriction) and the fogger was too violent for first gear, my sixty foot on both kits was usually a mid 1.70 (my SHO has gone 1.77 to sixty lol).  With both kits, the car made 550 ish hp and would nip into the 10.70's and 10.80's at right around 126 mph.  Fastest it went was a perfect pass for me. I was early on the buttons between shifts and let the rpms hit higher in the shifts (somehow the Ram Clutch held) and it went 10.59 at 124.  Then i tried to replicate it, and blew a head gasket on a missed shift... lesson learned.

The look on people's faces, one pass 15.00, next pass 10.80....lol. When the GF learned how to use the Nitrous, I had to fight her to get out of the car......

Nice man! That's awesome. Gotta love them cars.
Best trap 113.61

SM105K

Quote from: 18SHO on May 29, 2019, 11:47:29 AM
Quote from: SM105K on May 29, 2019, 08:29:48 AM

Nice man! That's awesome. Gotta love them cars.

I have 100% regret about selling that car, and my 93 MTX SHO.

SHOdded

At least with the 93 SHO, you no longer have to worry about scrounging for parts LOL.  Getting harder to find by the minute.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SM105K

Quote from: SHOdded on May 29, 2019, 12:40:51 PM
At least with the 93 SHO, you no longer have to worry about scrounging for parts LOL.  Getting harder to find by the minute.

I miss that car so much, however it killed me financially when I was a young service member.  Manu you are right, parts are becoming scarce. 

shoNoff

That's good stuff with that foxbody SM105. Kind of reminds me of racin Jason car back in the day (god rest his soul). I also had a mtx sho as a kid. That friggin car cost me so much money. It was my winter car so I didn't have to drive my 5.0. I went through head gasket, heater core, clutch, axles and injector seals all in under a year. Loved that car hated the repair bills lol. I should dig up some of my old photos. I know I have the douchiest photo ever with me and like 6 bodies and our foxbodies from the mid 90's.