• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Catch cans without return line to intake tract?

Started by Agentlongwood, July 29, 2017, 11:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agentlongwood

Today I cleaned out some of the gunk at the bottom of my intercooler. That got me thinking about a catch can, so I ended up seeing this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZYYdnwIEX0&lc=z131cvyxet2rxngru04ccniacvrdglspqeo.1495984962462811  What I took away was that no catch can is 100% effective at preventing gunk from re-entering the intake tract.  Even when they catch a lot of material, there is still a good bit that gets past them.  So are there systems that provide the same benefits, but do not reconnect anywhere in the intake?

I know the old school hot rodding solution was to just stick a breather filter on one or both of the valve covers and call it a day.  If you live in a state without emissions inspections is there any reason this wouldn't work?  Or heck, if you want to have a tank to collect fluid, so it doesn't gum up a filter, could you just run a breather tank off of the PCV port?

I'd really just like to eliminate any gunk at all getting sucked back into the motor.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

GIGANTORE

Just adding a filter to vent is a bad idea. Running an open filter takes
Away the vacuum that the motor produces. That vac is what sucks that waste out. Without that process, all that waste and crap stays inside the motor. Condensate doesn't have the ability to push past the filter because it's in a liquid state. So it just soaks into the filter. Potentially causing a fire hazard. If you wanted to get super strict on the quality of the air routed back into your intake, you can add an additional inline filter. Ideally a good catch can routed correctly is perfectly safe to run back to your intake.