• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New Tires...opinions

Started by bigmoneycloser, November 16, 2013, 05:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmoneycloser

Ok guys.. The wheels are at powder coat and will be ready for install on Tuesday or Wednesday.
I ordered a set of BF Goodrich G-Force KDW ultra high performance summer tires
285/35/22

But after some research... These seam like they will be useless in snow or slush...heard some other negative reviews but, you never know... Some people just like to complain online..

With that said I decided to get a set of Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico- all season sport/truck
285/35/22
I will run these tires first because I have a trip to Maine next week and anything can happen up there...
I will swap out for the GForce in the summer..
The Pirelli's don't look as cool as the GForce, but function is important too..

There aren't many choices for this tire size...
Let me know your thoughts?
Thanks
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

DJE624

TouchOfEvil

KDW has a much better looking tread pattern but they would be useless in snow. Just not the type of tire for that. Summer time though, they should be a great  tire.
2014 XSport

Lanson

Vote:

Yoko Parada Spec X or go Proxes STII.

Both acceptable in snow I hear, and good durability, noise, etc.

I wish I would have gone with one of those two instead of the Extensa HP.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

SRT82ECOBOOST

If you are up in Maine, you are in my neck of the woods.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

bigmoneycloser

I'm in jersey. But spending the holiday in Maine with my wives family.
Most of them are from rockland. I lived in Portland for a year... But missed dirty jersey..lol
I think we are staying in a lake house or something in owls head....
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

mjhpadi

I had the Pirelli Scorpions on my Lincoln LT, although they wore well, I was less impressed with the traction in snow and ice, they had nowhere near the traction of my Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos.  However, I'm sure Bridgestone doesn't make anything in the size you are looking for...I know I wanted to replace my Michelins with Bridgestone, but they make nothing in the stock 20 inch size...
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

BiGMaC

Are you going to have summer and winter tires?.... you could get both. :o)
The BFG's look really sweet, but not long wearing and not enough drainage for icey slush or snow and they hydroplaned easily on plain heavy rain.  I had similar tire and tread BFG's and when I went from Phx to our house in the mountains of northern AZ they were frankly dangerous without chains or cables... then I had a tread separation.  I used Pirelli Scorpions on the last vehicle, F150 SC, for 5 years and got 55-60K miles/set (had 2 sets, stayed with them).  They are not the best on glaze ice on the first clear night after a snowstorm, but did well in slush, on snowplowed roads, and slightly flooded roads.  I stayed with Scorpions because the Bridgestones were about $50-$60 more per tire.... yea, call me cheap, it's true.  Just my 2 cents.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

bigmoneycloser

Quote from: BiGMaC on November 16, 2013, 08:49:02 PM
Are you going to have summer and winter tires?.... you could get both. :o)
The BFG's look really sweet, but not long wearing and not enough drainage for icey slush or snow and they hydroplaned easily on plain heavy rain.  I had similar tire and tread BFG's and when I went from Phx to our house in the mountains of northern AZ they were frankly dangerous without chains or cables... then I had a tread separation.  I used Pirelli Scorpions on the last vehicle, F150 SC, for 5 years and got 55-60K miles/set (had 2 sets, stayed with them).  They are not the best on glaze ice on the first clear night after a snowstorm, but did well in slush, on snowplowed roads, and slightly flooded roads.  I stayed with Scorpions because the Bridgestones were about $50-$60 more per tire.... yea, call me cheap, it's true.  Just my 2 cents.
Yeah, I'm gonna have both sets. Gonna run the Pirelli's first and then in spring try out the BFG's...
Thanks for all the input..
2014 Explorer Sport 401A

Wild13SHO

I had the BFG KDWs on my 2000 Contour SVT and they were great dry and decent wet traction.  They were pretty bad in any kind of winter precipitation. 
Current:
2016 F150 2.7L Ecoboost.  Stock for Now
SOLD:
2013 SHO 400A, PP

BiGMaC

There's another thread here.  bpd and others seem real happy with Continental Extreme Traction as all weather. Don't know if they are available in the size you want.  They run about 250-275 each in sets of 4.  May be a cheaper alternative and let you use those sweet wheels all the time.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock