• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New wheels and tires...opinions Needed..

Started by bigmoneycloser, October 31, 2013, 09:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmoneycloser

Ok guys, so I think I found my new wheels and want some opinions and advice..
I have a 14 XSport.  I am swapping wheels and tires in order to run the Wilwood big brake kit from TCE.
I found a brand new wheel that will be released in about a week.(I like that no one will have it right away)

Here is my question, I need some opinions and any experience based on size.

I am dropping down to a 22" from my current 24".
The wheels are a 22x10.5 I have confirmed with my wheel guy that this will will give plenty of clearance for the brake kit and fit the truck. The question is... He suggested that I run the 22x10.5 in both the front and back.
Now I think it will "Look" Mean as he'll on the XSport.. But I wanted to know if there are any performance down sides to running a 10.5 on the front because it looks like most "car" people would run a 9" up front and the 10.5" in back..

Just curious if I will have negative issues with steering, handling, or any type of performance...
I have already confirmed there won't be fitment issues(like rubbing)

Opinions and experiences wanted

Oh the wheel is the new Vossen CVT 22x10.5. It's really nice and I will have it powder coated either matte black or graphite grey..

Thx
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

Lanson

Quote from: bigmoneycloser on October 31, 2013, 09:37:08 AM
Ok guys, so I think I found my new wheels and want some opinions and advice..
I have a 14 XSport.  I am swapping wheels and tires in order to run the Wilwood big brake kit from TCE.
I found a brand new wheel that will be released in about a week.(I like that no one will have it right away)

Here is my question, I need some opinions and any experience based on size.

I am dropping down to a 22" from my current 24".
The wheels are a 22x10.5 I have confirmed with my wheel guy that this will will give plenty of clearance for the brake kit and fit the truck. The question is... He suggested that I run the 22x10.5 in both the front and back.
Now I think it will "Look" Mean as he'll on the XSport.. But I wanted to know if there are any performance down sides to running a 10.5 on the front because it looks like most "car" people would run a 9" up front and the 10.5" in back..

Just curious if I will have negative issues with steering, handling, or any type of performance...
I have already confirmed there won't be fitment issues(like rubbing)

Opinions and experiences wanted

Oh the wheel is the new Vossen CVT 22x10.5. It's really nice and I will have it powder coated either matte black or graphite grey..

Thx

First off, GREAT wheel choice.  Second, fitment will depend entirely on offset, and how much different the fenders of the Explorer Sport are compared with the Flex and the Taurus.  On my Flex, 22x9 +37 front and 22x10 +37 rear is as much as I could muster.  The Flex's fenders subtly go inward toward the center of the car, from the back to the front.  This meant I needed to stay with the 22x9 +37 up front to tuck.  For fun, I installed my 22x10 +37 rear in the front in a test fit.  It just barely rubbed against the strut, but definitely stuck out of the fender well.  If I "slammed" the car with coilovers or airbags, I would consider adding a 1/2" wider outside barrel to my wheels which would be "hellaflush" (so, so sorry for that term use, but it would be accurate.)  I really don't want to be that aggressive right now, so I'm where I'm at. 

The Explorer may have much wider front fenders!  My recommendation is to test-fit the planned rear wheel to the front, and see what it looks like.  A wheel is returnable usually up to the point it is mounted to a tire, or damaged.  So, if you pull a wheel out of a box, be very careful with it, and test fit... you should be able to determine if it works.  Since the Explorer has the same basic strut design as the rest, consider that you don't want something too wide with too high an offset.  It is easy to hit that strut.  But if it clears by a couple mm's or so, you are good to go.

Hope that helps!
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

bigmoneycloser

Thx..
Other than clearance..if the 10.5 fits up front there are no negative performance issues?
Thx
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

Lanson

Quote from: bigmoneycloser on October 31, 2013, 10:31:02 AM
Thx..
Other than clearance..if the 10.5 fits up front there are no negative performance issues?
Thx

extra weight, possible stretched tires depending on what tire size you decide on, and that's about it other than clearance.  One major advantage of course is the ability to rotate your tires from time to time. 

What offset does this 10.5 come in?  I checked their website but couldn't spot it.  I LOVE the CVT, just a gorgeous directional wheel, and I'm so happy they built a left and a right instead of flipping the spin the other way on the other side. 
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

bigmoneycloser

I'm just looking into tires now... One of the reasons I'm going to a 22 from my 24 is to gain more side wall and have a better ride. So a stretched tire might be a deal breaker..
Gotta it looks like a 285 25 22 is standard... But that looks like the same side wall as my 24's and I'm looking for more...
2014 Explorer Sport 401A