• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU - Another one bites the dust

Started by SuperPete, November 19, 2019, 10:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperPete

I guess my time has come...
2014 SHO, non PP, 26K miles,
PTU oil was changed 1000 miles ago, was nasty stinky...

I was pulling out of the garage this morning to go to work, nice and easy, car still warming up, started to rolling down the street, 10 mi/h, all of a sudden I head grinding noise, WOW, really, just like that,
I know exactly what it was, I was only 1/4mi away from home, I turned around, slowly went back home, noise was on and off,
Pulled in to garage, got my wife's dodge Durango and went to work.

Going to go see dealer at lunch, it's right down the street, see what they say about warranty, i am under millage but right at the 5 year about now, I have very little faith at the dealer, so I started researching part number for replacement PTU and will be calling some shops also, right after dealer visit.

I guess I need PTU part number: DG1Z-7251-F, correct?

Wish me luck :)

Funny thing I am not mad at all, or upset, after I changed that stinky oil in PTU month ago, I had this thing on my heart that this thing is matter of time, and I was hoping it happens nice and easy and I don't get trany ripped on freeway going WOT, well God heard me!

I will keep you updated.
2014 SHO, GearHead TUNNED /Powered by Matt Robinson
PPE Downpipes, GearHead Intercooler, AirAid Intake
XDI-35 HPFP @ E40,   MSD Coilpacks
MUSTANG DYNO: 426/446
Continental Extreme Contact 06 & Powerstop Z23 all 4 corners

802SHO

That's nuts!  26k?  It really shouldn't be inevitable....its only inevitable if you follow the original recommended service interval...NEVER. 
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

SuperPete

Yes Sir, 26K.

Update, went to dealer, I am pass warranty by few months, here is my dealer cost:
$850 for PTU and $800 for labor, what you think?
They told me if I can bring part in they can install it, cheapest one I found was for $670 plus shipping, by then it's about almost what dealer charges me
I probably going to go with it.
What you guys think?

TopherSho

Quote from: 802SHO on November 19, 2019, 12:33:24 PM
That's nuts!  26k?  It really shouldn't be inevitable....its only inevitable if you follow the original recommended service interval...NEVER.

correct me if i am wrong,  (might be my 2010 sho knowledge) but i do not think there is a Ford service schedule for the PTU,  just a replacement schedule ..

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

SuperPete

802 was sarcastic, LOL, but Ford should of had schedule maintenance on them or at list life time free replacement coverage when they fail.
The minute Ford acknowledges that PTU was the design fail, they will be out millions, replacing them left and right, class action lawsuits from who ever replaced them in last 7 years, big money out
So they keep is hush as good as they can for as long as they can

Anyway

SHOdded

Sorry to hear, Pete!  Any competent  shop can R&R the PTU, you can save 400$ in labor that way.  The part itself you can get $100-200 cheaper off eBay.

Sucks it went with such lo miles on it.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SuperPete

I searched e-bay and there is nothing under that part number that is cheap, unless I am off on the part number,
DG1Z-7251-F

TopherSho

check with wrecking yards directly.  the bigger the better .. A few PTUs and RDU's have been sourced for about 60% cost that way by members here..
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

SuperPete

There are some used PTU's out there cheap, but I don't think I want to get in to used, absolutely not, my 26K mile one just went out, I would not trust used one at this point. Saving few hundred can cost me extra thousand later :)
Thanks for trying, if anyone can point to new unit for around $600, that would be nice.
Thanks

SuperPete

Scheduled appointment with the dealer, Next Tuesday she is going in and should be done by the end of the day.
I asked them to crack PTU open so I can look at the damage, will share pictures..

SHOdded

They are there on eBay.  Look for new and search by lowest price.

Seems cheaper to go straight to an online Ford dealer and have them ship one to you.  I am getting a price of $750 or so from Levittown Ford, for example.  Tascaparts.com might be a bit cheaper.  IDK what their coupon code is right now, maybe NOV5, but not sure.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Agreed with Tropher sho ^^ Ford does not repair the (PTU) POWER TAKEOFF ASSY and only replaces them AFAIK! Z

Power Take Off Assy - Ford Part No.: DG1Z-7251-D Replaced By   DG1Z-7251-F
Base No.   7251
$747.26

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-power-take-off-asy_dg1z-7251-d.html?Vin=1FAHP2KT5DG183206&Filter=()&Location=transfer-drive-case,,7251

Power Take Off Assy
Part #: 7251
Usage: 07/16/2012 - 01/17/2016, Taurus, LHD 4WD (FTD), SHO, SHO Package
Usage: 07/16/2012 - 01/17/2016, Taurus, LHD 4WD (FTD), SHO, SHO Package 1
Section: Transfer Drive Case
In Stock
Your Price: $939.55
MSRP:  $939.55
Core Charge: $50.00

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/electrical/other-electrical-related-parts/power-take-off-assy-7866327-1

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SilvererSHO

There are two types of PTU's.  Those that have gone to hell and those that are about to I guess.  I serviced my PTU shortly after getting my 2012 SHO at around 45,000 miles.  I did my wife's on her 2014 SEL at around the same mileage too.  Mine is now at 91,000 miles and hers is at 111,000 miles.  I can't believe they are both still in service after the tar like paste I took out of them.  I had to add fluid just to be able to suck the crap out of them for the first time.  I pretty much service them at every oil change since the initial service.  Suck out what I can and add fresh Amsoil.  It's nasty crap every time.  Hers has leaked off and on (blowing it out the seals because the congealed lube plugs the vent) and then it will be fine for a few thousand miles without dripping a single drop.  The last time the vent plugged it puked half of the 18 ounces out going down the road.  I added 10 or so ounces, sent her on her way and told her to keep the tow truck on speed dial and the checkbook nearby. I have serviced it once since then also so over 5,000 or so miles since then.  I can't believe it still functions.  I'm doing what I can to get every mile I can out of them.  If I hadn't I'm sure both of mine would have been in the scrap pile by 50,000-60,000 miles.  Complete horse s*** design.  How the hell do the PI cars that are operating in Texas or Arizona where the cars are idling all the time getting heat soaked by the two cats ever even make it through the first 1,000 miles on there PTU's?

Oh, and they both have had their water pumps go to hell too.  I caught them both before they put any coolant into the oil thankfully.  Hers is in the shop as I type and mine is still sitting in the garage.  Hers is going to be around $1,500 for a water pump that's under $100.  I started tearing mine down this spring but then fubared my hand in a brilliant tire changing incident and had to have hand surgery and was out of work.  So, all the time in the world to do it but only one good (left) hand.  I don't want to do it from the top anymore the more I read about doing it.   The best way to do it is to drop the whole works from the car when it's on a hoist.
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

SuperPete

Good story Silverer,
I bought car with 24K on it, changed PTU oil at 25K, broke down at 26K, LOL Figure that...

Anyway, once new one in, I will be changing oil every other oil change, every 10K and look forward for water pump, LOL

802SHO

Quote from: SuperPete on November 19, 2019, 03:17:36 PM
There are some used PTU's out there cheap, but I don't think I want to get in to used, absolutely not, my 26K mile one just went out, I would not trust used one at this point. Saving few hundred can cost me extra thousand later :)
Thanks for trying, if anyone can point to new unit for around $600, that would be nice.
Thanks

100% agree, a used one can grenade at any point in time where a new one gives you a tiny piece...miniscule piece of mind.
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20