• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Any Explorer Sport intercoolers available?

Started by Ls2bait, March 06, 2020, 01:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecoboost_xsport

Awesome. That's a damn good price. Interested in seeing your IATs now. Did you happen to take any logs before the change?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

xartic1

I didn't do any logs, but I can say with certainty that my temps were no less than 20f above ambient while cruising on the highway. This was with my Livernois Mycal Touch and using the gauges on that, so I can't verify how accurate that reading is. I always have the gauges on while I drive so I do monitor them constantly.

I'm still contemplating painting something on the front of the FMIC before I put the bumper cover on since the "M" on the pictures were highly misleading (still bitter about it). Maybe do an "EX" or "X" in white to match my paint.
2014 Explorer Sport - Livernois 91 tune, 3 Bar MAP, Bilstein B6's, Dicunzolo Transmission Mounts, Mishimoto J-Line FMIC, AEM Drop In Filter, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, PPE Engineering Catless Downpipes, Reische 170 T-stat
2011 Mustang GT Brembo - Bama 91 tune, Steeda Intake,  LTH, 3" full exhaust with O/R X-Pipe no resonator, every possible suspension component replaced, weighs 3505 with 1/4 gas

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: xartic1 on August 01, 2020, 10:11:59 AM
I didn't do any logs, but I can say with certainty that my temps were no less than 20f above ambient while cruising on the highway. This was with my Livernois Mycal Touch and using the gauges on that, so I can't verify how accurate that reading is. I always have the gauges on while I drive so I do monitor them constantly.

I'm still contemplating painting something on the front of the FMIC before I put the bumper cover on since the "M" on the pictures were highly misleading (still bitter about it). Maybe do an "EX" or "X" in white to match my paint.
Nice...I've always been into a straight aluminum, non painted, exposed IC. Just looks like it means all business.

xartic1

I was thinking about the unpainted one but having the condenser black and the grille black as well I decided against ordering it. Probably will end up not painting it since my Sport looks completely stock still.
2014 Explorer Sport - Livernois 91 tune, 3 Bar MAP, Bilstein B6's, Dicunzolo Transmission Mounts, Mishimoto J-Line FMIC, AEM Drop In Filter, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, PPE Engineering Catless Downpipes, Reische 170 T-stat
2011 Mustang GT Brembo - Bama 91 tune, Steeda Intake,  LTH, 3" full exhaust with O/R X-Pipe no resonator, every possible suspension component replaced, weighs 3505 with 1/4 gas

xartic1

Got the bumper cover installed last night with no issues. Pretty close to the limit on the thickness of the core but no rubbing or fitment issues. Definitely feels like it pulls harder through the gears but I wasn't trying to push my vehicle too hard just yet, that will be done on the way home.

One thing to note, when cursing at 65 and letting off, I noticed the ACT 2 that goes into the manifold increased temps by 6-8 degrees, putting it where stock was just cruising. Only thing I can think of would be the heat from the engine bay is transferring faster to the manifold since ours in aluminum. After letting off and accelerating the ACT 2 temp drops which is indicating the air from the intercooler is cooling off the manifold, unlike I witnessed before.

Either way the temps have dropped and I will be calculating the max boost I have since Livernois shows raw data with in Hg instead of PSI.

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: xartic1 on August 02, 2020, 09:37:33 AM
Got the bumper cover installed last night with no issues. Pretty close to the limit on the thickness of the core but no rubbing or fitment issues. Definitely feels like it pulls harder through the gears but I wasn't trying to push my vehicle too hard just yet, that will be done on the way home.

One thing to note, when cursing at 65 and letting off, I noticed the ACT 2 that goes into the manifold increased temps by 6-8 degrees, putting it where stock was just cruising. Only thing I can think of would be the heat from the engine bay is transferring faster to the manifold since ours in aluminum. After letting off and accelerating the ACT 2 temp drops which is indicating the air from the intercooler is cooling off the manifold, unlike I witnessed before.

Either way the temps have dropped and I will be calculating the max boost I have since Livernois shows raw data with in Hg instead of PSI.
Very cool.

I would lose LMS as fast as you can, btw. Just FYI...switch to AJP or GH...

xartic1

Maybe when I start getting into more intensive mods but my issue now is that aFe intake pulling in too much hot air. Switching back to the stock filter with a k&N drop in to see how much cooler it runs. I was seeing higher temps in town on my air intake vs the manifold.

Going up Pikes Peak tomorrow so I should be able to get some good numbers with the stock air box.

Ecoboost_xsport

Hmmm interesting find. Keep us posted. Good work, btw.

xartic1

Drove about 800 miles this week through the mountains and around where the temps were varying from 50-100F so I was about to get an idea of how this intercooler behaves.

Putting the stock airbox in had definitely improved the temps while driving. When I'm WOT, the temp at the intake manifold drops significantly staying very close to the temps from my stock airbox.  They climb at the manifold after laying off the throttle, but nothing more than 4-8 degrees. Didn't really get a chance to see what kind of boost levels it reaches but seeing the temps drops has been more than enough to make me pleased.

Also, Mishimoto contacted me and stated the black is a stealth color that doesn't have the "M" on it. It's weird though seeing how almost every website that sells the J Line has a picture with the M on it. They did offer to send me a stencil, which I might do in the future with a matching pearl color as what my exterior coat is.

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: xartic1 on August 07, 2020, 12:53:30 PM
Drove about 800 miles this week through the mountains and around where the temps were varying from 50-100F so I was about to get an idea of how this intercooler behaves.

Putting the stock airbox in had definitely improved the temps while driving. When I'm WOT, the temp at the intake manifold drops significantly staying very close to the temps from my stock airbox.  They climb at the manifold after laying off the throttle, but nothing more than 4-8 degrees. Didn't really get a chance to see what kind of boost levels it reaches but seeing the temps drops has been more than enough to make me pleased.

Also, Mishimoto contacted me and stated the black is a stealth color that doesn't have the "M" on it. It's weird though seeing how almost every website that sells the J Line has a picture with the M on it. They did offer to send me a stencil, which I might do in the future with a matching pearl color as what my exterior coat is.
So you're thinking stock airbox is a better option than something aftermarket? I can see how that would be the case...that box is truly closed off from the hot engine air....

I've got the AirAid setup and I really like it. Even with the foam edging, I'm certain it doesn't seal off 100%.

I'm wondering if making a cover for that AirAid setup could be the best of both worlds...it would be easy enough to make...

xartic1

I was under the impression the intake I bought could fit a cover on it and realized after buying the wrong one that it was for an Edge. The  bigger and more expensive from aFe from what I had was completely sealed off and probably would have been the better option. The intake that ecopowerparts creates would probably be something to consider if it had a top on it.

I still would like to route another hole on the bottom under the filter to the fender to create an additional area for cooler air to pull from.

But yes I think the stock intake performs better with my setup since the air gets chilled off much quicker.

Macgyver

Quote from: Ecoboost_xsport on August 07, 2020, 01:30:58 PM
Quote from: xartic1 on August 07, 2020, 12:53:30 PM

So you're thinking stock airbox is a better option than something aftermarket? I can see how that would be the case...that box is truly closed off from the hot engine air....

I've got the AirAid setup and I really like it. Even with the foam edging, I'm certain it doesn't seal off 100%.

I'm wondering if making a cover for that AirAid setup could be the best of both worlds...it would be easy enough to make...

Someone in here did make a cover for the AirRaid. I think they tracked it too and posted numbers.

Macgyver

xartic1

Something like that would provide cooler air definitely. I'd like to modify my stock intake for an additional air duct to see if that would help as well.

I'm also missing the duct piece under my bumper for the turbo closest to the firewall so I'm sure that would mitigate some of my heat from the engine bay.

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: xartic1 on August 07, 2020, 06:05:08 PM
Something like that would provide cooler air definitely. I'd like to modify my stock intake for an additional air duct to see if that would help as well.

I'm also missing the duct piece under my bumper for the turbo closest to the firewall so I'm sure that would mitigate some of my heat from the engine bay.
Yeah, I've been doing cardboard cutouts for a larger "squirrel catcher"myself, but haven't had much time to move past that stage...