• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Which kit for XSport?

Started by hawkeye93, April 24, 2016, 11:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkeye93

I have a 2015 Explorer Sport, looking to add a little more power.  I already have tunes from Livernois & Unleashed, 3 bar MAP, PPE catted downpipes, Reische 170 deg thermostat & NGK 6510 plugs @ .030.  I have a MDesign CAI, but I'm currently running just a K&N panel filter in the stock airbox.  I've been looking at both the Snow Stage 3 kit (#320) & the Alky kit sold by Livernois.  When I inquired to Livernois about the Alky kit, they said the SHO kit is not compatible with the XSport (didn't say why), but that they would sell me a XSport kit for $1049.  They also said I also need a catback exhaust, which I think is probably unnecessary.

What do you guys think?  I had planned on going with the Alky, so I could retain both of my tuning options (my understanding is that Livernois will only tune for Alky's meth kit), and because I've read so many good reviews of Alky.  But Livernois' response has me thinking more about Snow.  Would probably start at 50/50 meth, but might increase at a later time.
2015 Ford Taurus SHO PP 12.219@112.84
PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 4V/T5Z/3.55
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan 272 4V/Fordomatic

BlueSHO

Quote from: hawkeye93 on April 24, 2016, 11:28:55 AM
I have a 2015 Explorer Sport, looking to add a little more power.  I already have tunes from Livernois & Unleashed, 3 bar MAP, PPE catted downpipes, Reische 170 deg thermostat & NGK 6510 plugs @ .030.  I have a MDesign CAI, but I'm currently running just a K&N panel filter in the stock airbox.  I've been looking at both the Snow Stage 3 kit (#320) & the Alky kit sold by Livernois.  When I inquired to Livernois about the Alky kit, they said the SHO kit is not compatible with the XSport (didn't say why), but that they would sell me a XSport kit for $1049.  They also said I also need a catback exhaust, which I think is probably unnecessary.

What do you guys think?  I had planned on going with the Alky, so I could retain both of my tuning options (my understanding is that Livernois will only tune for Alky's meth kit), and because I've read so many good reviews of Alky.  But Livernois' response has me thinking more about Snow.  Would probably start at 50/50 meth, but might increase at a later time.
Curious to why you have 2 different tuners? (Livernois & Unleashed)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

SHOdded

Should be fine with either an Alky or Snow kit, but like you said, having an Alky kit allows you the flexibility, so that is a big +.  You can also give us your experience with the install and reliability :)  bpd has done a substantial writeup on his experience with the install, so you can use that as a guide.

Don't NEED a catback, possibly they were trying to max the potential of a meth kit added to your vehicle, since you already have a CAI available to you.  It's purely your decision.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

hawkeye93

Quote from: JeffsSport on April 24, 2016, 11:36:36 AM
Curious to why you have 2 different tuners? (Livernois & Unleashed)

Only because at the time, I had some poker winnings burning a hole in my pocket.  I had the SCT tuner from Torrie first, and I wanted to also give LMS a try. At the moment, I'm running LMS 93 Performance v5 tune, because it's new, and I was curious about it.  I have 89, 91 & 93 octane tunes from Unleashed, but only my 91 tune has been updated after datalogging.  It's tough to get 93 octane up here, only available at BP.  I've mentioned it before, but the LMS tune was more aggressive out of the box, but after datalogging, Torrie updated my 91 tune, and now I can't tell any difference between it and the 91 LMS tune.  When the weather gets nicer, I plan to do some more datalogging for Torrie.
2015 Ford Taurus SHO PP 12.219@112.84
PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 4V/T5Z/3.55
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan 272 4V/Fordomatic

BlueSHO

Ok got ya.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra