• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

E 85

Started by explorergotoluvit, March 09, 2014, 12:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoMoCoSHO

Is the processing architecture the issue?

I'm a little (lot) on the tech crazy side, so any bits of info (hardware, software, logic) is always appreciated.

I assume your logging is built in and tied to your dynojet?

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 12, 2014, 08:23:09 PM

I'm a little (lot) on the tech crazy side, so any bits of info (hardware, software, logic) is always appreciated.

Actually the logging is done separately by a completely different piece of equipment. Honestly, the specifics are beyond me, I just have seen the data first hand that we collect vs. the commercially available items. After seeing this it's very easy to see the negatives to tuning via logging right now. You are making changes on false data so your changes rarely do what they are intended to. Every once in awhile I am sure luck happens and you change something that makes an improvement, but it's rarely directly from the data.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on March 12, 2014, 07:26:43 PM
I'm on the E for tuning side.
For TUNING.

Not the running E, hoping Ford built in some kind of magical mystery tune in the stock ECU tables.

My point was, there's mistruths about ethanol in general here.

To argue about quality and such for ethanol heavy fuels, but ignoring all of the potential quality problems in Super grade is ridiculous.

My photo was just used as a credential.

I'd been asking about this in other threads, before I knew this thread existed. My concern has always been the fueling capacity. It is the same concern that crops up on every forum for every platform, interested in tuning for E. I wish those in the know would post data or proof regarding the upgraded fuel system in the 13+. So far, there's not even agreement on that. So, I'm still wondering where's the data regarding the OE equipment limitations. Hardly anybody runs pure E85 anyway. E30-E50 works fine, stays safe (avoiding gumming issues and such), and produces results. And likely does away entirely with messes like water meth injection.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Regarding your claim of "magical mystery tune"

"In order to maintain proper fuel control, the PCM strategy needs to know the stoichiometric Air/Fuel Ratio for use in the fuel pulse width equation. On pre-2000 MY flex fuel vehicles, the percent alcohol in the fuel was determined by reading the output of the Flex fuel Sensor. The percent alcohol was stored in a register called Percent Methanol (PM). Although current alcohol-blended fuels only include ethanol, the percent methanol nomenclature has persisted. On 2000 MY and later vehicles, the Flex Fuel Sensor has been deleted and PM is inferred. The strategy
to infer the correct A/F Ratio (AFR) relies on the oxygen sensor input to maintain stoichiometry after vehicle refueling occurs. "

Please note that 2000 + MY are referred to as vehicles, and does not say flex fuel specific, unlike the description of pre 2000. This coupled with Ford's recent approval of e-15, one could infer that this tech is already built in to the ECM.

There is a crapload of Motorcraft info at this link.(PG 62 starts fueling info)

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/diagnostics/pdf/obdsm1202.pdf

Josephm

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on March 13, 2014, 07:32:28 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 12, 2014, 08:23:09 PM

Actually the logging is done separately by a completely different piece of equipment. Honestly, the specifics are beyond me, I just have seen the data first hand that we collect vs. the commercially available items. After seeing this it's very easy to see the negatives to tuning via logging right now. You are making changes on false data so your changes rarely do what they are intended to. Every once in awhile I am sure luck happens and you change something that makes an improvement, but it's rarely directly from the data.

Kind of weird to think most tuning on other platforms is E-Tuned. E-Tunes are very popular, and seem to do just fine. I guess that could be the difference between COBB and SCT but i know E-tunes are huge in the Mazdaspeed, Focus ST, Evo, STI even the Mustang crowd

Lucky for us, COBB will be releasing something for the 3.5L EB soon
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

explorergotoluvit

^^^^ do you know where u read that? i would like to read it big im a big fan of cobb they did my sti
2013 explorer sport
LMS tuner stat 160 3 bar magna flow v8 91 map
k&n H&R spring
retrofit FXR bi-xenon projectors done by lightwerkz 
all lights replaced with leds from daytimebrightlites

Josephm

Facebook. I wrote on there wall after they did the 1.6/2.0EB asking why the 3.5 EB got no love and they said it was in devolpment and will be out soon
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

thatsmrgimp2u

I asked the same thing... Though months ago. They said it was a no go.... Weird.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2011 ISM SHO;  SCT X3 (Unleashed), Airaid Intake, PPE Downpipes, Magnaflow Mufflers and X-pipe with Vibrant resonators, 170 Thermostat, H&R Springs, RX CSS
12.91@107

Josephm

Quote from: thatsmrgimp2u on March 23, 2014, 07:19:31 PM
I asked the same thing... Though months ago. They said it was a no go.... Weird.

Someone just commented on it today. Hopefully it will be soon they release it

12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

thatsmrgimp2u

That was me. :)

2011 ISM SHO;  SCT X3 (Unleashed), Airaid Intake, PPE Downpipes, Magnaflow Mufflers and X-pipe with Vibrant resonators, 170 Thermostat, H&R Springs, RX CSS
12.91@107