• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

DTC and a burning smell question

Started by TouchOfEvil, January 02, 2014, 01:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TouchOfEvil

I went on a trip to Tennessee for a week and while there i had two issues come up.
Neither seemed vital so i'm just now posting about them.
One is a DTC that popped up, c1b00 anyone know what that code is for on a 14 xsport?
I'm thinking it's to do with a speed sensor as my cruise would show a faster speed than my needle when set.
I tried searching but only found stuff for older models.

Second issue, we stayed on a mountain, when climbing the mountain i would put it in M mode and drop it to first or second depending on speed.
Higher gear would just bog the motor horribly and it would downshift and get fussy, at least the first time i went up it did so i did the shifting myself.
Normal climb speed between 10-18mph i would shift from 1st to 2nd at about 15mph.
I went back to a stock tune for the trip because i have no way of knowing the quality of gas at stations in states i don't normally travel.
Once we would reach the top and park on the passenger side you could smell a burning odor. It seemed to come from right around the passenger door/maybe near the front wheel well.
Anyone had an issue like that? I started to think maybe the lower speeds but in 1st-2nd gear might have had the turbos pushing boost for an extended period and they just got hot or maybe pushing some oil past seals.

It didn't have any smoke that i could see though when i looked under the car or popped the hood. No smoke from tailpipe either so i'm kinda not sure?
The only time it ever happened was climbing the mountain which we did roughly 10 times.

Any insight? :alkashi:
2014 XSport

SHOdded

Not sure, but I saw this mentioned on the web http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29768 :

"4498 -2011-2012 F-super Duty - Traction Control Light On - Dtcs: C1b00:29,41,62,63,64,86 - Service Tip

Some 2011-2012 F-super Duty Vehicles May Exhibit A Concern Of Traction Control Indicator Illuminated In Instrument Cluster With Diagnostic Trouble Codes (dtcs):c1b00, C1b00:29, 41,62,63,64,86 In The Antilock Brake Module(abs) For Steering Angle Sensor(sas). Check Tire Sizes, Pressures, And Circumference And Adjust As Necessary Prior To Following Wsm Diagnostic Procedures. Refer To The Door Placard For Tire Size And Inflation Information. Differences In Tire Circumference Can Lead To Differences In The Wheel Speed Sensor Values That Are Used As Inputs/checks On The Sas Signal. If The Information From The Wheel Speedsensors Do Not Agree With The Sas Signal, The Code(s) Are Set And The Traction Control Indicator Is Illuminated."

Also, an older list of TSBs for the Explorer that has this code listed:  http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43653-tsbs-on-the-2011-explorer/

Mazda seems to be pointing to steering issues:

http://am.mazdaserviceinfo.com/emazda/dealersystem/service/esi/en_us/SM/2013/Mazda2/m2/books/m2w06/html/id060200802300.html

"2013 - Mazda2 - Steering
DTC C1B00:2F/C1B00:61/C1B00:62

Steering angle sensor ..."

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3184015&postcount=344

What was the odor like?  Electrical, oil/fluid ...  Definitely check the transmission fluid for clarity.  Any leaks visible on the transmission casing/PTU/axle?  These would be the most likely items to check.  But hopefully, the problem is just the speed sensor, which is propagating errors to the transmission.

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TouchOfEvil

I didn't check the axles or anything, I'll do that when I get home today.
I didn't see any fluid leaked on the ground when parked so I guess that's a good sign.
May just have to bring it in and get the dealer to look it over.
Thanks for the help.
2014 XSport

Josephm

The car was off when you stopped? Was thinking it could of been cooking oil, as going 15-20mph does not provide much 'cooling' at all.
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

IHeartGroceries

I can't comment on the speed variation. That's odd. You ought to see an MIL for a faulted speed sensor or sensor circuit.

As for the C1b00 error code, indeed, that appears to be related to the steering angle sensor.

I'm assuming there were many zigzags and switchbacks on your mountain drive? May be an overworked, faulty, or failing EPAS system component.

Notice any other effects? The angle sensor input is responsible for EPAS system function, in addition to TC and dynamic stability control (or, whatever Ford calls it).

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

TouchOfEvil

Quote from: Josephm on January 02, 2014, 03:52:41 PM
The car was off when you stopped? Was thinking it could of been cooking oil, as going 15-20mph does not provide much 'cooling' at all.

Yes, i noticed the smell after we had parked and killed the car. Well my wife noticed it first since she is always co-pilot lol.
2014 XSport

TouchOfEvil

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on January 02, 2014, 04:24:38 PM
I can't comment on the speed variation. That's odd. You ought to see an MIL for a faulted speed sensor or sensor circuit.

As for the C1b00 error code, indeed, that appears to be related to the steering angle sensor.

I'm assuming there were many zigzags and switchbacks on your mountain drive? May be an overworked, faulty, or failing EPAS system component.

Notice any other effects? The angle sensor input is responsible for EPAS system function, in addition to TC and dynamic stability control (or, whatever Ford calls it).

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yes, we certainly put it through the ropes compared to the flat roads of louisiana. We made the climb to the top of the smokies but i didn't notice any burning smells after doing so. But thats more a steady uphill circle at about 30-40mph and it can do so without dropping gears from the steepness.
On the traction control and such i actually did notice it felt more peppy, like it didn't have as much TQ. Mng in it even though i had put it back to stock over 1000 miles ago.
It's 14 model and even after the trip only has 3900 miles on it give or take a few.
2014 XSport