• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Possible spark blowout?

Started by TouchOfEvil, October 26, 2013, 04:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoBrick Bob

Wheel hop always scares me.  Hard on axles, u-joints and differentials...  Only wheel hop I have had with my Flex was recently at the line in first, with Michelin Pilot SS.  Wheel hop is always in the front, as rear only handles a max of 150 hp/torque.  If you have someone watch your launches, they will see that fronts spin and rears do not.  Flex comes with 255-45-20's Goodyear RS-A's for comparison. Never tried them at the strip.

As for wheel hop issues.  The cure in Pontiac G8's is to use axles that are different diameters. Expensive but worth it. ($1,000.-$1,700) rear only obviously. Not aware of any axle options for EB drive train.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

arttyszka

Evil, I'm watching this thread with great interest.  This sounds identical to what many of us with the Lund tune on the Sport are experiencing.  I don't have any insight at all other than what I've experienced - pulls are generally clean if I go from a stop or a roll ABOVE 70 mph.  Going WOT at a 65 mph cruise hits a big flat spot, sounds very similar to what you're experiencing.  I have the Lund 93SS tune, 170 tstat, gapped plugs to 28. 

It's more severe for some of the guys running the Lund tune in that the car has actually stalled or gone way down on power when going WOT from a 65 mph cruise, mine isn't that severe, and I didn't notice it when it was warmer, but now that it's getting cold up here in MN I notice it even more. 

I'm traveling for work at the moment but when I get back I'm going to flash it to the 93 and then 91 DD tunes and see if it happens with either of those.  Lund is aware of the issues and is supposedly working on something, but I'm not sure he has the data he needs being in a warm climate.
2014 Explorer Sport
Lund Tuned | 170 t-stat | K&N Panel | H&R Springs | Coolbulbs.com HID's

bigmoneycloser

I have a 14 XSport below is my current mod list.
170* Tstat
Gapped plugs(32 I believe)
Airaid CAI
LMS 93 high boost
24"x9.5 helo wheels/ toyo proxes4 255/30/24
H & R springs

I haven't noticed any issues yet. From 65 to WOT or stop/roll WOT...
I haven't tried any launches with braking.
I did have some wheel hop on two occasions from stop to WOT shifting from 1-2..
Not sure if that helps..
Good luck
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

bigmoneycloser

Quote from: JMR76 on October 26, 2013, 10:39:22 PM
I'm going to try the dash command app first and if that doesn't work I'm going to try Scan XL.  Torque would be next for me.  I would be interested to find out what the issue is just as much as you.  If I find out, I'll post it,

What is the best program? Dash command, Scan XL, or Torque??
Also needs to be compatible with iPhone/ Apple. As I do not own a PC... Only Macs.

Also, how do you connect to the vehicle and where would I buy that?

I figure, I will get some info and log some data and be preventative..

I am very new to this and was never a big car guy, some I'm learning..
Thx
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

JMR76

Quote from: bigmoneycloser on October 27, 2013, 05:08:40 PM

Quote from: JMR76 on October 26, 2013, 10:39:22 PM
I'm going to try the dash command app first and if that doesn't work I'm going to try Scan XL.  Torque would be next for me.  I would be interested to find out what the issue is just as much as you.  If I find out, I'll post it,

What is the best program? Dash command, Scan XL, or Torque??
Also needs to be compatible with iPhone/ Apple. As I do not own a PC... Only Macs.

Also, how do you connect to the vehicle and where would I buy that?

I figure, I will get some info and log some data and be preventative..

I am very new to this and was never a big car guy, some I'm learning..
Thx

I'm still learning and I don't know a whole lot about logging.

On another note, I took all my plugs out and cleaned them, checked the gap .030.  One was around .034 .  Plugs we're pretty dirty for 14,000 miles.  I also used a torque wrench for the first time.  I think I was over tightening them.

I ran the 93 high boost tune and had no hesitation yet after doing this.  Although it was 54 degrees, so I'll have to wait and see if it comes back when it's colder again.
2013 SHO - PP/ GH Intercooler / 170*TS / Cold .026 plugs / MSD Coils / Corsa cat-back / PPE Catted Downpipes / Xtreme-DI XDI-EO HPFP / E 30+ / Gear Head Tuned.

TouchOfEvil

Quote from: EcoBrick Bob on October 27, 2013, 10:41:25 AM
Wheel hop always scares me.  Hard on axles, u-joints and differentials...  Only wheel hop I have had with my Flex was recently at the line in first, with Michelin Pilot SS.  Wheel hop is always in the front, as rear only handles a max of 150 hp/torque.  If you have someone watch your launches, they will see that fronts spin and rears do not.  Flex comes with 255-45-20's Goodyear RS-A's for comparison. Never tried them at the strip.

As for wheel hop issues.  The cure in Pontiac G8's is to use axles that are different diameters. Expensive but worth it. ($1,000.-$1,700) rear only obviously. Not aware of any axle options for EB drive train.

Mine doesn't hop at launch, it destroys the tires though. They simply can not hang on at full stall launch. If i just stab it and let it flash they hold on tight but that of course would net slower times assuming i can get it to hook up.
The stock tires that came on the Sport are not very good tires.
Hankook Optimo H426 Grand Touring All-Season 255/50/20 reviews only give them a 2.5 out of 5 stars. 440 tread wear A/A but looking at specs and reviews they just don't hook up. Jack of all trades master of none.
I want to put some sticker tires on it but i'm torn between sizes....do i stay in the 255-265 range or go for the gusto and put 275/45/20 on it. Decisions, decisions.

I thought about running the hankooks 4drhrd is running but they are an inch shorter then stock height.
Not sure if i want to drop an inch in tire height ><
2014 XSport

TouchOfEvil

The OBD2 plug in came in today. I won't be able to log until Friday but hopefully i can see whats going on. I also picked up some 104 octane that i can throw in the mix and see if it's a potential bad gas issue.
2014 XSport

EcoPowerParts

Definitely log between the two tunes and see what's happening. I doubt it's spark blowout but you'll know soon enough with a couple of logs.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

Larrylu

I've been using Torque for gauges on a Nexus 7, but haven't gotten into logging yet. How many parameters can/should I log at once and will it slow down my gauge display?  How do you get the log info off of Torque after a run?
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

TouchOfEvil

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on October 31, 2013, 09:01:52 AM
Definitely log between the two tunes and see what's happening. I doubt it's spark blowout but you'll know soon enough with a couple of logs.
Livernois suggested bad gas but i was mid tank when the issue started up. Also bad gas seems like it would get detonation if anything. I know the tune is super rich, cleaned the Sport the other day and both tailpipes were coated in black soot.
I also checked my plugs and they were a whitish to gray color which tells me the plugs are too hot for the tune. Guess i'll see whats up soon enough though.
2014 XSport

EcoBrick Bob

I was running Murphy 93 this AM and had an engine light come on.  Was accelerating but not WOT by any means.  Turned out to be #6 plug misfire.  Never felt it and light flashed about 20 sec and then quit.  While continuing to drive I checked my DashHawk and found it in the history... but not current.  Have new plugs and will replace when I get to FL.  Have had misfires before and you could noticeably feel them.  Weird.....
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

TouchOfEvil

Quote from: EcoBrick Bob on October 31, 2013, 10:34:19 PM
I was running Murphy 93 this AM and had an engine light come on.  Was accelerating but not WOT by any means.  Turned out to be #6 plug misfire.  Never felt it and light flashed about 20 sec and then quit.  While continuing to drive I checked my DashHawk and found it in the history... but not current.  Have new plugs and will replace when I get to FL.  Have had misfires before and you could noticeably feel them.  Weird.....
Could be a misfire, if the new plugs they put in the 14's are too hot once tuned with the 93 hi boost it is very possible. Hopefully once i get some logging time i'll get it pinned down.
2014 XSport

arttyszka

Quote from: TouchOfEvil on November 01, 2013, 12:08:36 AM
Quote from: EcoBrick Bob on October 31, 2013, 10:34:19 PM
Could be a misfire, if the new plugs they put in the 14's are too hot once tuned with the 93 hi boost it is very possible. Hopefully once i get some logging time i'll get it pinned down.
Are the plugs that LMS sells a range colder?  I'm having similar issues with the Lund tune and may try these as a possible fix if they could help.

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/products/Motorcraft-2010%252b-V6-EcoBoost-Spark-Plugs-%28Pre%252dGapped-Available%29.html
2014 Explorer Sport

EcoPowerParts

You can pick up a set of autolites much cheaper locally:
Autolite XP-5364
Just gap them yourself to .025 to .030 (I'm on .025), .030 for stock apps.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-5yc1s?itemIdentifier=896895
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

arttyszka

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on November 01, 2013, 11:06:12 AM
You can pick up a set of autolites much cheaper locally:
Autolite XP-5364
Just gap them yourself to .025 to .030 (I'm on .025), .030 for stock apps.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-5yc1s?itemIdentifier=896895
Mike, are those a range colder?  And if so, is there any downside to putting a colder plug in if that's not really the issue?

Thanks
Art
2014 Explorer Sport