• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Error code P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected - **FIXED**

Started by Grimster, September 18, 2013, 11:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimster

Yay, my first problem with the car.  Im still under factory warranty (for another 800 miles!) but I'd like to fix this car without having to take it in.  Also, worried about them voiding my warranty anyway since I've flashed the ECU numerous times and have a meth kit installed, haha. 

So Ive done very little research on this error code P0304, but I do know that it definitely feels like a misfire.  Car has a slight vibration now and doesn't feel "right"

So from what I've read the first plan of attack is to replace the coil and plug...in this case on cylinder #4.  Has anyone else had this same issue and found that that was the fix?

Also, where is the best place to buy OEM parts for this?  Im assuming Tousely Ford as they were the best for OEM parts when I had my cobra...but don't know if we have a supporting vendor on here or some other place that has better pricing on stuff for our ecoboosts.

Thoughts?
2010 MKS Ecoboost
Airaid intake, Water/Methanol Kit, 3-bar sensor, Tuned by Unleashed Tuning

Grimster

looks like the FIRST thing I should do is just check the spark plugs

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3657/tsb11-08-19.pdf

I remember last time I looked at the spark plug coils and was curious at checking the gaps on the plugs....I remember them being very difficult to take off.  I ended up not taking them off because I was afraid I was going to break something.  Was I just being too "gentle" with them?  Or is there some trick that I am too stupid to have figured out intuitively?

2010 MKS Ecoboost

SHOdded

Have heard (Motorweek I think) that you should not pull out plugs in modern cars when engine is cold.  Run the engine 30 seconds - 1 minute to get it a bit warmed up, then the plugs come out easier.  Anyone else heard of this?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

EcoBrick Bob

I have pulled my plugs out various times when engine was cool. 70-80F outside.  NO problems.  What year is your vehicle.  The 2010's had a different plug# originally that caused one of mine to fail at around 30K. 

When you get the plug out, check it both upside down & right side up. With my plug the firing pin actually was loose.  When I turned it the way it was in engine, the pin touched the electrode so had failed.  I would change all plugs out.  Rock Auto is also a good place to get Ford parts.  I buy both plugs and Motorcraft Oil Filters from them.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

Grimster

grabbed a set of 6 spark plugs from Rock Auto for $27.xx shipped.  Not too bad!  Local dealership was going to charge me $7.38 + tax on each.  Out of curiosity I asked them how much they charged to change all 6 spark plugs......$240 in labor!  Holy cow. 
2010 MKS Ecoboost

EcoBrick Bob

I found it easiest to just twist the coil packs back and forth after unbolting them.  In back you have to loosen a bracket to get at them.  I have changed all of them in less than 30 min.  Ask your dealer if I can get a job!!!!  Make sure your socket has rubber in it as that will hold the plug when it comes out.  Plugs are pre-gapped and can't be easily re-gapped as pin is fragile.

#4 plug is center on on radiator side.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011

Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

Grimster

Replaced all 6 plugs.  #4 was definitely my problem.  The insulator thing broke off and was rattling loose.  So that was what was causing my issue.  Went ahead and replaced all the plugs while I was at it.  Car runs better than it ever has now.

These are 49k mile plugs.  about 2k of that is after I installed the methanol kit.

2010 MKS Ecoboost

SHOdded

You'd think they'd last 100,000 miles!  Better-running = win!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Josephm

He was running Meth though(with a tune as well), so i am assuming they should be gaped a little closer to avoid blow out? I thought i read that on another forum
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

EcoBrick Bob

Exactly what happened to my #6 plug.  Glad you fixed it yourself.

Grimster

Quote from: Josephm on October 04, 2013, 05:44:05 PM
He was running Meth though(with a tune as well), so i am assuming they should be gaped a little closer to avoid blow out? I thought i read that on another forum

I wouldn't think meth itself would have the need for a closer gap to avoid blowout.  But since I am running much higher boost (~18psi) I gapped down to .030.  I did NOT gap down when I installed the Methanol kit...I just ran the factory installed plugs at whatever gap they were at...which is probably part of the problem.  I don't know if the spark plug failed because it was just time for it to die (normal wear and tear) or if the higher boost levels and unregulated gap were to blame (blowout). 

Either way, car is running all new plugs all gapped at .030" and it is running very smooth and very strong.  :)
2010 MKS Ecoboost