• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2010 Flex Muffler Delete - keep the rear resonators

Started by myfender, March 04, 2016, 11:32:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myfender

So I was looking under my flex and it seems to have dual exhaust all the way back except for the center muffler. In interest of $costs$ I was wondering if removing the center muffler for just two straight pipes and leaving the two resonators at the back on if that would be quiet enough? The center muffler is after the two independent cats and after any O2 sensors ect, the center muffler is right after an xpipe which I would leave in place.

ZSHO

FYI if your looking to add or remove any such components mentioned little to no increase in sound can be had with the oem setup,the true bottleneck is the oem DP's,the 3rd cat or resonator is not as restrictive as many might think,IMO if your looking to add some additional sound think you will be better off by adding an aftermarket intake such as the MDesign CAI or Airaid,think he has a special going on at the moment.   Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

myfender

Its not really the sound its the performance. Saw a show on the f-150, they claimed the stock exhaust was built for standard none turbo engine, when they replaced the exhaust they got 30hp at the rear wheels. I am looking for little ways to get cheap performance. don't want to shell out $1k for a new complete exhaust system.

SHOdded

Link to the show?  Did they swap out the downpipes along with the catback?  The downpipes are the real bottleneck to getting more power out of the SHO.  You could install electronically activated cutouts for those WOT runs, but they aren't cheap either.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

There are two types of exhausts listed for your Flex,the Limited has the same stock exhaust as the SHO,the other Flex versions do not have a tru dual exhaust,maybe thats what the show was referencing to,check out this link.  Z   http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-parts/2010/ford/flex/limited-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/exhaust-system-cat/exhaust-components-scat

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

myfender

I have the Limited Flex, definitely looks like true dual exhaust to me.

Here is the Show "Gearz" that showed the F-150 exhaust swap. ITs just a cat back. 38hp and 50fp torque
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkqDDxsiCLE

I attached a picture of the exhaust I have with the muffler I want to remove in circled. Thanks Zsho for the link to tasca.

ZSHO

There is no argument that you indeed have a dual exhaust setup as mentioned above,but unfortunately there will be no gains by removing the resonator and because of the 2.25 in cat back exhaust,personally have the Corsa which is a 2.5 in straight thru-cat back exhaust which only added a mere 5-10hp,pics below of the oem resonator and 3rd cat which was removed,BTW the F150 is a whole different vehicle with the aftermarket 4inch Heartthrob exhaust which the numbers seem a bit elevated.  Z