• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Exhaust restriction

Started by Gray Brick, November 15, 2015, 10:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray Brick

Has anyone tested where the restriction is on the Ecoboost 3.5 exhaust?

I have non-catted 3" downpipes and want to know if the 3rd cat, resonater, or mufflers are the next bottleneck.

When I say tested I am referring to installing a pressure gauge between each of these items.

2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

ZSHO

The 3rd cat and resonator are not as restrictive as most people might think as oppose to the mufflers which is somewhat more constricted out of the bunch,followed by the 3rd cat.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Gray Brick

Is there any data to back this up?

Most to least restrictive; mufflers, cat, then resonator.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller

ZSHO

Quote from: Gray Brick on November 15, 2015, 12:35:21 PM
Is there any data to back this up?

Most to least restrictive; mufflers, cat, then resonator.
Data is a big question mark.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

CroR1

I highly  doubt any company will go through so much to record such information for SHO. As it has been proven time after time that an aftermarket exhaust after cats adds about 3hp in general on the v8s. I can't see the 3rd cat netting more than  3 hp on the SHO. And if someone would ask me the question if it was worth over $1000. I would say not to me due to loudness of the exhaust tone that I would have to live with  every day.

Gray Brick

3hp on a stock V8 I am assuming.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex

Gray Brick

I should have some info soon on the exhaust backpressure testing.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex

QuickSilver

I did my downpipes and exhaust all at the same time so not sure which helped more but it was a huge improvement in spool up response and power production.  As you know Brick, turbo vehicles get a much bigger power gain by reducing backpressure than a NA motor does. On other turbo projects I've seen the boost go DOWN and the power still goes UP when getting away from a restrictive exhaust system.  I'll be interested in your backpressure results, some of the guys on the turbo-mopar boards are doing testing of backpressure pre-turbo to help select the right size hot side of the turbo.
AJ

2014 Ingot Silver Explorer Sport- LMS V3 Tune, AirRaid CAI, Hi_flow Catted DP's to Complete dual 2.5" exhaust, 19"X 9.5"TSW Panorama Rotary Forged/powdercoated Rims, Cree LED Foglights, Hoping for those Megan coilovers to be developed...

Gray Brick

Quicksilver,
What exhaust did you go with?
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex

QuickSilver

I had my exhaust guy build it  from the parts I collected, a couple sticks of 304 SS from Jegs, dual 2.5 IN/OUT flowmaster, some mandrel U bends,  couple 2.5" strait thru resonators also from Jegs.  It's perfect, except for 1900-2100RPMS, the  dreaded drone under load.  So if I'm going less than 80MPH on the highway, I'm in 5th :-[

Tried to load a pic, file size too large. Most forums I belong to resize automatically. No wonder I don't load pics here >:(  I know there's pics on the 5th Gen Explorer forum of serious explorations, I'm sure you can search my posts with just a couple clicks there.
AJ

2014 Ingot Silver Explorer Sport- LMS V3 Tune, AirRaid CAI, Hi_flow Catted DP's to Complete dual 2.5" exhaust, 19"X 9.5"TSW Panorama Rotary Forged/powdercoated Rims, Cree LED Foglights, Hoping for those Megan coilovers to be developed...

SHOdded

AJ, the only way currently to get pics on here is to embed an offsite link to the pic (whether it's Tapatalk or Photobucket or Flickr or ...).  So there shouldn't be a size restriction, but if you want to PM me the link, I can take a look to see what the issue might be.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!