• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Catless downpipe owners please read and reply

Started by EcoPowerParts, July 03, 2014, 01:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

So it's pretty clear my turbos are bad I guess....The cats are impressive in these cars and ford has done well to prevent turbo replacement....I guess that's why they put the 3rd cat on...To aid in keeping the smokeys off the road lol
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Have you checked the intercooler and intake piping to see if there's oil/gunk there?  Could be PCV blowby burning out causing the smoke.  Seems too early for that, but ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Kolk1

I dont have any cats, I still havent checked into it any further, but my 2011 has a little swirl of white smoke about 5 seconds after I do a WOT pull.

SRT82ECOBOOST

Half the people that have posted to this thread have said they have seen smoke after install. There is a fly in the ointment.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on August 04, 2014, 09:57:09 PM
Half the people that have posted to this thread have said they have seen smoke after install. There is a fly in the ointment.
You're still making an incorrect assumption
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

SHOnUup

Has anyone with the smoking issue been diagnosed with bad turbo yet?
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

EcoPowerParts

Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

vernonator

2012 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP. Livernois Stage 4+, PPE Catless DP's, EBC Stage 4 Front/Rear Brakes
2015 Tuxedo Black Explorer Sport 401A, no mods....YET :)

SHOnUup

Wonder if there's a link between being tuned for awhile before the cat less are installed and smoking issue vs. tune and dpipes installed relatively close in time for no smoke. A weak link may be the turbos?
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

gtbeast

Hey guys sorry haven't read this thread.  I got a 2014 sho pp and have installed the catless downpipes but still retain the stock exhaust back.  Installed around 2000mi and I'm about 6000mi now.
I have no smoke at all except condensation smoke which is normal.  Maybe a little more than normal since I don't have cats heating up to get rid of it quicker.  But I race the hell out of this thing and don't have any smoke during racing, cruising or idle.
Mods:
Unleashed 93 tune(Torrie is awesome!!)
Stainless Works Catless downpipes
3bar map
170 tstat
Air raid

BMC10SEC50

-2013 SHO PP with Unleashed 3 bar tune, CAI, plugs, thermostat, off road downpipes and Corsa exhaust. Best time to date is 12.26@112.47mph.
-1990 5.0 LX(original owner) 349 BOSS block, Twisted Wedge heads, Holley intake, Vortech Si trim. Made 636hp to the wheels with a street tune.

AJP turbo

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

Quote from: SHOnUup on August 05, 2014, 08:55:55 AM
Wonder if there's a link between being tuned for awhile before the cat less are installed and smoking issue vs. tune and dpipes installed relatively close in time for no smoke. A weak link may be the turbos?

So are you thinking that being tuned prior to downpipe install compromises the turbos then the problem get noticed when the downpipes are installed and people are contributing the problem to the DP's?

That's why I installed my exhaust BEFORE I tuned it....It's night and day for me. My car is not smoking now with the catless DP's and stock cat back. But if I throw on the cat back that deletes the 3rd cat I start smoking. Or If put the stock cats on and then put my stainless works cat back that deletes the 3rd cat it won't smoke either.

So basically I need a cat for It not to smoke. Either the front cats or the 3rd cat if I'm running the catless DP's.

My car only had 1000 miles on it when I did the exhaust and it wasn't tuned at that point.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

SHOnUup

Quote from: ajpturbo on August 26, 2014, 01:28:16 PM
Quote from: SHOnUup on August 05, 2014, 08:55:55 AM

So are you thinking that being tuned prior to downpipe install compromises the turbos then the problem get noticed when the downpipes are installed and people are contributing the problem to the DP's?

That's why I installed my exhaust BEFORE I tuned it....It's night and day for me. My car is not smoking now with the catless DP's and stock cat back. But if I throw on the cat back that deletes the 3rd cat I start smoking. Or If put the stock cats on and then put my stainless works cat back that deletes the 3rd cat it won't smoke either.

So basically I need a cat for It not to smoke. Either the front cats or the 3rd cat if I'm running the catless DP's.

My car only had 1000 miles on it when I did the exhaust and it wasn't tuned at that point.
Was more of a ponder. As I read through many stories about this it puzzles me and makes me wonder if I will be smoking when adding the dpipes. Not half the guru many others are on here, but any ideas can sometimes lead down the right thought path.

I'm leaning towards the catted as of now for not wanting to see the smoke, but non catted would be nice as to "uncover" what's going on in there too, I think.

vernonator

RE: Tuned for period of time and then going catless. I did exactly that - 2012 w/PP tuned (Livernois 4+ 93) for well over a year before installing PPE catless DP's - no smoke what so ever in my setup. Just my $0.02 worth
2012 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP. Livernois Stage 4+, PPE Catless DP's, EBC Stage 4 Front/Rear Brakes
2015 Tuxedo Black Explorer Sport 401A, no mods....YET :)