• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Catless downpipe owners please read and reply

Started by EcoPowerParts, July 03, 2014, 01:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoPowerParts

How many of you have installed your catless downpipes and had issues with smoking post install?

Just curious to see of the people out there who is having issues.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

SRT82ECOBOOST

The smoke is rolling out of my catless downpipes.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

68_GT

tuning modifications after adding catless DP's doesn't prevent this ?
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

TooFast4SHO

I can see another problem becoming visable after installing these but not these causing a problem...

low cost turbo seals used to keep it cheap for ford, not enough runtime for seals to adjust conditioning, PCV system or a greater failure.

These could pinpoint a system weakness but they are not gonna cause it directly.
2014 SHO non PP, Livernois 3bar v8 tune, PPE Catted Downpipes, 3rd cat delete with straight pipe stock back, H&R Dropped Springs, Low Temp Thermo. Adaptive Cruise, Collision Avoidance, Lane Keeping, Auto Brights..

12.99 @ 106.4 with 3/4 tank of gas and spare etc. in car.

black99lightning

2013 Esport 13.44 @ 103.6
1999 Lightning 12.44 @ 108.4
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8
2013 CTSV coupe 11.79 @ 119.7

AJP turbo

2014 SHO PP. At 1200mi car was fine no smoke and no mods. Installed my SW catless DP's and SW cat back. I noticed when I revved the car in the driveway excessive smoke and during decels after an aggressive pull. It was driving me nuts and hurting my brain. It was immediately after installing my exhaust. I refused to believe it.

I didn't want to go through the trouble of taking off the DP's so I just put the stock cat back on and left the DP's(catless). Smoke is virtually gone, when I rev the car and let it hit of the 4200 neutral rev limiter and check the exhaust I can only see a small trace of smoke.

I guess the 3rd cat of the stock cat back cleans it up a bit. I highly doubted that the turbos were bad since the car was brand new and only had 1200mi and it wasn't smoking before the catless DP install and re installing the stock cat back with the 3rd cat and making the smoke all but disappear proved that the turbos were ok. I really wasn't crazy about the sound of the exhaust anyway, I think the engine sounds kind of goofy so I like just the catless DP's as they make it just a bit louder but same kind of note.

Mine smoked the worst when I revved it and held it at the neutral rev limiter and quickly checked the tail pipes. I was thinking maybe since the car is direct injection and the fuel is sprayed very late and maybe something to do with how the spark and rev limiter act maybe there is more unburned fuel I have no idea.

But I do know that putting the stock cat back with the 3rd cat back on made the smoke go away. It was night and day.

Maybe the cats mask a problem. But I doubt the seals in my new car's turbos were bad, they were not overboosted from stock at that point.

I wouldn't think the seals are cheap as some have said, they are garett turbos right? And I could be wrong but I don't think they are like rubber seals that can blow out. I thought they were like precision's turbo seals which are a dynamic ring seal meaning they are metal rings that expand with heat but I'm just speculating there.

So some here will say that my turbos which still have less than 3k are bad and my 3rd cat is cleaning the exhaust and concealing the problem. I can't argue that but I wouldn't buy that logic. So if that is your contention, then you are also saying that my turbos were bad from day 1. I won't subscribe to that but I've been wrong before. Hope this is good insight for you all
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Josephm

I wonder how much  of that was built up carbon from the DI being burned out...Are you going to sell them?
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

AJP turbo

No, I'm going to try and sell the SW cat back. With the stock cat back which has the 3rd cat the smoke is almost non detectable so I'm good with how it is now. I think I like the combo of catless DP's and stock cat back. I can't smell or see the smoke like I could before.

I'd love to get the upgraded turbos and try again the the SW cat back and go totally catless and see how it is but that's not in the plans for this car right now. Especially until some fueling options become more readily available with DI in this platform

Also I drove about 600 miles to burn off any assembly oil in the new exhaust just to be clear.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

EcoPowerParts

You can go with upgraded turbos with a meth kit and as another member has proven will make mid 400WHP pretty easily.
I would bet with the new ATP turbos in place all the smoke would go away.
www.ecopowerparts.com -
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.

PokerMunkee

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on August 04, 2014, 09:08:07 AM
You can go with upgraded turbos with a meth kit and as another member has proven will make mid 400WHP pretty easily.
I would bet with the new ATP turbos in place all the smoke would go away.

Was that A6?  He blew his engine not long after and parted it out to get rid of the car.  Everything was installed and custom tuned by LMS.... comforting :(
2013 SHO PP - Ignot Silver/Charcoal
Unleashed 91 tune w/ 3BAR, Corsa exhaust, LEDs everywhere
2011 F-250 6.2 CCSB FX4

EcoPowerParts

No, BPD Mike, pretty sure his car is still living with the ATP turbos. :)
www.ecopowerparts.com -

PokerMunkee

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on August 04, 2014, 09:48:15 AM
No, BPD Mike, pretty sure his car is still living with the ATP turbos. :)

Oh, that's right. 

Hopefully someone soon with catless dp's will replace the turbos to see if the smoke stops immediately.  Will be interesting to know for 100% sure!
2011 F-250 6.2 CCSB FX4

wasinger3000

If the gaskets expand with heat removing the cat would lower the sustained temperature causing the gaskets to shrink and let oil past. Correct? That's a big assumption. All this could just be that the cats do an excellent job of hiding the problems from day one.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

vernonator

Just put the catless DP's on one week ago. '12 SHO w/PP running Livernois 4+/93 tune and 44K miles. No smoke from exhaust either at idle, WOT or decel.
2012 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP. Livernois Stage 4+, PPE Catless DP's, EBC Stage 4 Front/Rear Brakes
2015 Tuxedo Black Explorer Sport 401A, no mods....YET :)

PokerMunkee

Are guys with a 2013+ only seeing this?   Anything change under the hood for 2013?
2011 F-250 6.2 CCSB FX4