• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

How to stop the black soot on my tail pipes

Started by TTSport15, January 10, 2015, 10:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoMoCoSHO

IHeartGroceries

Show off.
I do typically blend between E15 and E20, I've never noticed a difference.

Funny story...
I didn't realize the inner section of the outlets were polished literally for the first year of ownership. They were solid black the day I took delivery and I never knew otherwise. Lol
2013 SHO PP

FoMoCoSHO

Base fuel is Shell 93.

I wonder if that makes a difference?

11BLKFX4EB

Glad I found this thread because the black tips are driving me nuts on both my wifes XSport and my SHO.
The next oil change will be with the Amsoil 0w and I'm also going to polishing the tips with Mothers and adding a good coat of wax. Its amazing how bad they can get in the winter and how hard it is to clean them.
2014 SHO w/ PP Platinum White
Unleashed tuned, H&R Springs, 35% tint, Corsa catback coming...

2015 Explorer Sport Magnetic Metallic-stock...for now.

SHOnUup

The soot on my pipes has not been there since going with a small e/85 mix. Something I used to wipe clean daily, I haven't had to do once in 6 months now. Now it's only done to get dirt off.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

BiGMaC

MDesign CAI stopped mine... strange but true.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

IHeartGroceries

I cleaned the tips on my SHO for the first time in perhaps 10 months or so...since last spring. About 7K miles driven in that time. Many of those miles with a mild E blend (15 to 17ish). Have to admit, it was less severe than when I polished them up before, between purchase date and last spring, when I wasn't blending E.

Definitely reduced the soot. But didn't eliminate on my SHO.
2013 SHO PP

Txstrmhntr

Strangely since ive installed the meth kit the only time i get black soot is after the wife has had her out for a couple days and i know she purposely keeps it out of meth range(and boost for that matter)
OLD
2013 Taurus SHO with PP, LET Tuned, ATP+2 Turbos ,PPE Hotpipes, PPE off road DP's,  Alky control methanol injection
NEW-- 2016 Kona Blue Fiesta ST, Stock(not for long)

TTSport15

ive tried everthing to no avail soot soot n more soot
I Bleed BLue

SHOdded

Quote from: TTSport15 on June 30, 2015, 08:01:38 AM
ive tried everthing to no avail soot soot n more soot
Added a little E85?  Meth kit?  MDesign intake?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

With a tune these engine run a little rich by design. No way except meth to prevent it.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

TSS

Just another note about MDesign. Makes no sense at all to me, but I clearly have had less soot since installing about 4 months ago. I Would not believe it if I did not experience it. I Don't understand at all.....but there is a clear correlation between the install and less soot.
2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

2017 Summit White Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2017 Silver Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum  3.6 Twin Turbo; LME tuned.

glock-coma

Quote from: TSS on June 30, 2015, 11:08:59 AM
Just another note about MDesign. Makes no sense at all to me, but I clearly have had less soot since installing about 4 months ago. I Would not believe it if I did not experience it. I Don't understand at all.....but there is a clear correlation between the install and less soot.
maybe more/less air to change the AFR? That's is pretty weird.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

BiGMaC

Quote from: glock-coma on June 30, 2015, 12:06:21 PM

Quote from: TSS on June 30, 2015, 11:08:59 AM
maybe more/less air to change the AFR? That's is pretty weird.
Had the same experience. I did begin to see soot again as the less corn/nonoxygenated summer fuel became available again. It is still less, but fuel blend has an effect

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

buck91

Switched from store brand "synthetic" to penzoil platinum around the same time our winter blends of gas arrived.  Have noticed extreme decrease in tip carbon.  Not sure of it was the oil or ethanol but I want to test out ethanol.  14 x sport.  Any ideas how much e85 to blend in with the e10 from the pump?