• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Building a custom Exhaust

Started by Jtrain, July 31, 2014, 02:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOnUup

I'd go corsa and ppe, they are proven and many videos on their sound provide great examples. Could you get the same sound from a "custom" built set, maybe, but I personally haven't heard anything close to corsa cat back. Good luck in whatever you choose.
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

EcoPowerParts

I would save the $$ on having him reinvent the wheel on downpipes, have him do a cat back instead for you. Make sure you do some type of resonator and then tailpipe mufflers or you'll be very unhappy.
I completely understand you wanting to support your local guy, it make sense and I do that alot but only when the local guy can do something for me that is custom but LESS expensive than what's on the market.
I had my own downpipes made because LMS was charging $1K for catted pipes at the time and there's no way I was paying that much for 2x4' pipes and two cats that wouldn't pass emissions so I worked with a local manufacturer to make my own and offer them for less to the end user. Now look we have $800 catted downpipes that pass emissions from my guy AND LMS started using our cats and dropped their price to the same as ours. This is a win for everyone IMHO.

Whichever way you go with it, just make sure you do some tests on the sound, these cars sound funky if you do the exhaust wrong.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

AndyMan04

from what i gathered... for $800 you can the downpipes. Maybe add on $150 - $200 more to get them coated. Than get a exhaust get.. Corsa are quite popular for about $1000 give or take. So to have a complete exhaust system you are looking at 2 grand. So in the mists of things I guess $2100 isn't that bad for all of that. Exhaust upgrade seems more expensive than a turbo upgrade..

....  :blink: ... yes a turbo upgrade cost less than an exhaust upgrade... some how.
2011 Taurus SHO... factory for now.

FoMoCoSHO

Personally, I think all of the current options for our cars sound like crap.

I also think spending $2100 at a muffler shop is a huge gamble, I'm sure Corsa spent a bunch of time and money engineering theirs and it still doesn't sound like a proper V-6 exhaust. (BMW or GTR IMHO)

I went with catted DP's and EPP's boost actuated exhaust cutout to stock...imho the best of both worlds. I'm going to add a solenoid so I will have open exhaust with a button push and quiet cruising with the spooling benefit of the catted DP's when not engaged.

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on August 01, 2014, 09:27:48 AM
I would save the $$ on having him reinvent the wheel on downpipes, have him do a cat back instead for you. Make sure you do some type of resonator and then tailpipe mufflers or you'll be very unhappy.
I completely understand you wanting to support your local guy, it make sense and I do that alot but only when the local guy can do something for me that is custom but LESS expensive than what's on the market.
I had my own downpipes made because LMS was charging $1K for catted pipes at the time and there's no way I was paying that much for 2x4' pipes and two cats that wouldn't pass emissions so I worked with a local manufacturer to make my own and offer them for less to the end user. Now look we have $800 catted downpipes that pass emissions from my guy AND LMS started using our cats and dropped their price to the same as ours. This is a win for everyone IMHO.

Whichever way you go with it, just make sure you do some tests on the sound, these cars sound funky if you do the exhaust wrong.

Let's not stretch the truth here on what transpired.

Here is the rundown on our Downpipes. Our SHO Downpipes were the first available on the market, and out for well over a year before any other pipes were available on the market. As such, they were designed with an older generation of High Flow Metal Matrix cat that was great for performance, and durability, but would be guaranteed to set a light due to it's design.

In the interim, some Companies started experimenting with high flow cats whose primary purpose in life were to try to not set a monitor failure.

Our supplier was not satisfied with this first generation of cat, and there for chose to stick with the tried and true high flow cat that had been successful for years and years. After the second generation of cat was released, our supplier started testing them again, with a great deal of success, but it still would set a light occasionally as remember, they are a high flow cat.

Our supplier is on it's third generation of this cat today, and it has much improved over that first design, having the best loading in the industry for top level durability, while maintaining exceptional flow. But it is NOT the same cat as anyone else in these category. Rather than using an off the shelf piece, they had the cat custom made to meet their standards.

With all of that said, no downpipe, regardless or what high flow cat it has, is emissions legal, nor emissions compliant. These are intended to be for offroad use only. It is just as illegal removing the factory cat, regardless of what it is replaced with unless it is specifically CARB or EPA approved for that specific application, and you must have documented proof of failure of the OEM cat. With that said, the only way to ensure that a cat will not set a light would be to use a cat that is designed just like stock, meaning since the factory converter is not a high flow, and not a metal matrix cat you must use a ceramic OEM style cat which obviously, would not increase flow at all.  Any high flow cat has the potential to set a light, it just may take a different set of circumstances to trigger it than another make. Our goal, since it is a race part, is to provide the most durable piece out there, rather than focus on cheating the system.

As for our pricing coming down, this coincided with the release of our Explorer Downpipes. Since we now had three distinct product lines available, we were able to reach a volume level that allowed us to save money on the pipes, which we chose to pass on to our customers.

At the end of the day, our supplier goes out of their way to ensure every aspect of our pipes are made in the USA, from the tubing, to the welding rod, to the cat, and clamps. Something that we always strive for in all of our products.

ZSHO

First thing first am 100 percent happy with my exhaust setup no, what do you expect from a v6 twin turbo,and second thing I wish my car sounded like a Cobra or Gtr,last thing is if our cars came in stick,not only will they sound better but quicker,just my 2 cent.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOnUup

I like parts that get here by truck, not a long boat ride!
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

kinder

Quote from: ZSHO on August 02, 2014, 07:32:30 AM
...last thing is if our cars came in stick,not only will they sound better but quicker,just my 2 cent.

Not necessarily true. Many automatics these days out perform a manual. And that's when tested using professional shifters! Many of us cannot row through those gears as fast as the guys who test cars to get those numbers we aspire to.

Now if it came with a DCT option...... :D

As for the custom exhaust... I side with getting something premade and tested unless you are doing this to experiment. I mean it is not like you will be able to resell it if it comes out wrong.

And keep in mind some people have reported blown turbo seals that they think may be linked to a non-catted down pipe. ;)
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator