• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Explorer CAC "Weep hole"~ should I?

Started by EB Black, October 10, 2017, 06:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EB Black

I know the CAC weep hole has been widely talked about and I have been doing a lot of reading.  The info that keeps standing out is the fact that the CAC on the F150 especially, is large, which causes the condensation problem. So it got me thinking about my xplorer. I have noticed that the CAC is much smaller than both the F150 and SHO.  Should I consider trying to drill the hole or not be concerned? I have not installed a catch can or anything. If there is already a post around, I apologize in advance. Thanks for any input.

SHOdded

Different setup on the F150 (longitudinal, bigger turbos, etc) vs the X (transverse, smaller turbos, etc).  Not apples to apples.  Really shouldn't do it without a cause, but it is at your discretion.  Monitor the amount of condensate in the CAC first to see if indeed there is a problem.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

pmezo33

What's the old saying?  If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

EB Black

I agree. I guess my curiosity has gotten the best of me. I found somewhere that someone used their oil dip stick to check if anything was in the CAC. I tried that the other day and only had a smear on the end(not sure how accurate this was). Hooked up my brake bleeder to my shop vac and vac'd a very small amount of liquid out. So far I don't see any issues. Does anyone know if this is a big issue with the X?

pmezo33

Quote from: EB Black on October 10, 2017, 08:53:14 PM
I agree. I guess my curiosity has gotten the best of me. I found somewhere that someone used their oil dip stick to check if anything was in the CAC. I tried that the other day and only had a smear on the end(not sure how accurate this was). Hooked up my brake bleeder to my shop vac and vac'd a very small amount of liquid out. So far I don't see any issues. Does anyone know if this is a big issue with the X?

That's normal.  I do the same.  I just suck a little out with a mityvac every few months.  Never really get much out and it doesn't really have any effect on performance.

Unless you start misfiring, I would just continue doing what you're doing.

ZSHO

The front Drivers side needs to be jacked up in order to collect and fully measure exactly how much oil-h20- gas has accumulated inside the passenger side of the CAC (Intercooler)using a good old fashioned oil dip-stick.
Do you have an aftermarket warranty ? If so please do not drill a hole inside your intercooler which ultimately lead to repercussions IMO  .Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

EB Black

I realized after the fact that I should have lifted the driver side. Will do in the future. Only a short aftermarket warranty. I guess I'll just keep an eye on the situation and go from there.

sholxgt

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think we've had any concrete evidence of condensate inside the CAC on any EB except the F-150.  Others collect oil, but that's a completely different issue that can be solved with periodic cleaning.

The F-150's were getting water forming so fast that periodic cleaning wasn't enough.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

SHOdded

Condensate being anything condensed out of the air, not just water :)  Along with water, Oil and other crud travel as vapors till they hit the intercooler.  That is what I was referring to.  But yeah only the f150 is renowned for "too efficient" an intercioler.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

EB Black

Thanks for the info. I'll just keep an eye on it. Just talked to a buddy today with a '17 F150 EB.  5k miles and had to have the engine replaced.  Not 100% sure of the cuase but hes had nothing but problems with that truck.

SHOdded

Sorry to hear.  I know some of the 2.7 EB engines have had issues, not necessarily intercooler related.

93Cobra

Drilling the weep hole will fix your misfire issue. This causes no problems. I am at 42k miles since I did mine and no issues since!