• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Is my turbo(s) Bad?

Started by 2010Limited, April 23, 2018, 09:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2010Limited

So how can you tell if the separator is actually bad? Like I said I flushed it out, blew it out, and like the pcv I can hear the valve rattling. I'm assuming it would be the same function like the PCV valve if it's not stuck its OK.

But this is my first time working on something like this. I turbo'd my SpecV but this is quite different with a factory set up vs. my homemade turbo kit.

Do you know the part # of the updated separator? I tried searching and only come up with catch cans

2010Limited

Quote from: AJP turbo on April 24, 2018, 08:50:40 PM
Quote from: 2010Limited on April 24, 2018, 11:43:08 AM
I can't imagine the separator is the cause of oil leaking at the turbo so I'll replace that later.

Then you need to research pcv functions and effects on turbo applications and symptoms from inadequate pcv

Not that this is your particular problem but it absolutely could be.

I just read through this and had nothing like what you had in there. Maybe 1/4 of what you had. If I get a chance I'll pull the hose and see how much is in there.

2010Limited

The compressor wheel and nut and still there and the wheel spins freely. I pulled a few hoses and it doesn't seem flooded with oil, but there was some in there. I'll try and post some pics up.

2010Limited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010Limited

I decided to remove the turbo because it wasnt that hard. Here's where I'm at. There is no oil inside the turbo. The feed line area looks like it may have burnt a gasket or something. I'm not sure.
Let me know what you guys think. Also there was quite a bit of oil in the IC.

Colorado-SHOBro

Based on the picture of your separator and the milky mixture in there it is starting to fail and that is what is leaking oil into your intake pipes etc.
it may not have failed to the degree that mine did but that milky mixture should not be there. the separator is $100 from the dealer(cheaper online) and would be a quick easy fix. wait for others to chime in but I'm pretty sure that's your problem and is a worthy attempt at solving the issue rather than pulling the trigger on replacing a turbo.
worst case scenario you replaced a part that's going to go bad eventually anyway and removed it from the equation before spending more money on replacing hard parts.

11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

SHOdded

Might as well replace the feed line gasket and screen since you have the turbo off anyway.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

2010Limited

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on April 25, 2018, 04:08:54 PM
Based on the picture of your separator and the milky mixture in there it is starting to fail and that is what is leaking oil into your intake pipes etc.
it may not have failed to the degree that mine did but that milky mixture should not be there. the separator is $100 from the dealer(cheaper online) and would be a quick easy fix. wait for others to chime in but I'm pretty sure that's your problem and is a worthy attempt at solving the issue rather than pulling the trigger on replacing a turbo.
worst case scenario you replaced a part that's going to go bad eventually anyway and removed it from the equation before spending more money on replacing hard parts.

Indeed. I'll probably rebuild the turbo myself. Might as well get some XP for the fun of it

2010Limited

OK, well the turbo is rebuilt and back in. Almost no blue smoke at idle....BUT with throttle it is still smoking. My plan is to pull and rebuild the rear turbo as well.

When I got the front turbo out, I noticed it was an aftermarket turbo. These were supposed to be replaced at the ford dealer in 2013. Anyways there was a leak at the feed line and come to find out the copper washer was on top, and the lower had a felt washer. I put it back together with the correct dual copper washer set up and it still leaks! No matter what I do I cannot get it to stop dripping.

Has anyone run into this problem with the oil feed not sealing?

bpd1151

There were several revisions to the oil supply/return lines for the 2010.

I went through four sets myself.

Ford finally got it right with the last revision.

2010Limited

Quote from: bpd1151 on May 04, 2018, 09:07:44 AM
There were several revisions to the oil supply/return lines for the 2010.

I went through four sets myself.

Ford finally got it right with the last revision.
I'm assuming that should be the current one available. I'll likely order one of those. Thank you

2010Limited

Also just for giggles- let's assume I've fixed the problem. How long do you think it would take for the smoke issue to clear from the exhaust/IC piping?

2010Limited

Also just for grins I'm poking around the rear turbo and it it wet where the wastegate actuator rod is

SHOdded

Assuming it is leaking from there and not directly above, looks like a new rear turbo is the only fix.

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6137.msg133490.html#msg133490

6   GB5Z-9G440-A   Oil Pipe
Upper Pipe, RIGHT
3.5 LITER W/ TURBO
$102.04   $64.54   

7   GB5Z-9T516-A   Oil Pipe
Upper Pipe, LEFT
3.5 LITER W/ TURBO
$68.31   $43.21   

8   AA5Z-00812-AB   Oil Pipe Bolt
Upper Pipe Bolt, LEFT/RIGHT
3.5 LITER W/ TURBO
$8.50   $4.89   

9   AA5Z-6A863-B   Oil Pipe Connector
Upper Pipe Connector, LEFT/RIGHT
3.5 LITER W/ TURBO
$23.22   $16.02   
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

2010Limited

Quote from: SHOdded on May 04, 2018, 11:33:27 AM
Assuming it is leaking from there and not directly above, looks like a new rear turbo is the only fix.

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6137.msg133490.html#msg133490

New or rebuilt? I just rebuilt the front turbo.
I'll see if I can look on top but it seems dry above it.