• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

High Knock Retard on Stock 16 X-Sport

Started by 16MagSport, August 06, 2016, 12:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: glock-coma on October 13, 2016, 12:11:08 PM
Glad your getting everything worked out, AJPTURBO is starting to have quite a large following with very good results. Subscribed for future updates.
i can see why. he actually takes time to tell you what he's doing in the tune and why. makes you feel much more informed and comfortable with the direction he takes with your car. it's not just "here's your tune, see ya later!" that was my issue with *** among other things. hope all this hype doesn't give AJP more business than he can handle! lol
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

16MagSport

Yep.  I asked him if I could give him praise before I mentioned his name just in case he did have too much work.  I just wish my Sport could handle a hotter tune.  I want more boost and more advance!  The cool thing is that AJP will make the changes you ask for, as long as it is a safe tune for your vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Magnetic Explorer Sport 401A  (Wife's DD)  13.55 @ 99.87 mph AJP Tune Only.
1993 Mustang, Big Bore Dart block 347 with Vortech SC, TKO500, 10.84 @ 128.5mph
         (Burned in Cali wildfire)
2006 Dodge Ram, 2WD Quad Cab Hemi, 14.60 @ 92mph

SHOdded

Thanks for the update, glad progress has been made.  What fuel are you using now and how does your OAR look?  What fluid is in the trans?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

16MagSport

OAR is -0.96 every time.  Chevron or Union 76 91 octane.  Best I can get unless I go to Sonoma Raceway.  Trans fluid stock.  Just about to turn 8000 miles.  Part throttle the KR is always negative.  It adds up to 4 degrees!  WOT, it will still pull some eventhough only 10 degrees is commanded at 100 degrees IAT with 1 degree pulled for every 10 degree rise in IAT.  What upsets me is the inconsistency of the knock.  I did three 3rd gear pulls to 5k yesterday (short road) and the peak KR was 0, -2, and +2.  Temps were the same.  Has anyone got false knock from the sensor on the passenger side?  I haven't messed with the wires on that one yet.

2016 Magnetic Explorer Sport 401A  (Wife's DD)  13.55 @ 99.87 mph AJP Tune Only.

glock-coma

My oar maxes out @ -0.96 also in livewire.
In torque it goes to -1.0
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOdded

Is knock sensor value available?  Track that for both banks along with KR, see correlation.  Maybe one or more injectors is leaning out.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

16MagSport

I only have a pid called knock.  Just 1.  It shows how much advance it is adding or subtracting.  There is no K and KR, just K, but it is KR.  A negative value means it adds advance, and a positive means it retards advance by that much.  I see "spark" (which is my total advance) change by the amount recorded as knock.  I did a couple back to back 0-90mph WOT runs today and it was adding advance, so I wanted to add 2-4 degrees of WOT advance and see what the knock read after that, but my tune has the adjustments turned off.  I need to ask Brad to give me the same tune but allow me to adjust it.  I want to be able to pull timing if I get bad fuel and add timing if I put race gas in.

SHOdded

I should have specified.  Forscan along with an OBD adapter.  Still may not have it tho.  Need to get a list of PIDs for the EB.

16MagSport

It looks like different strategies have different PID's to log.  I would have thought they would be more consistent.  I need a strategy and tune that would allow me to log individual knock or individual advance so I can see which cylinders the knock is coming from.  That could help determine if it is false knock or not.  If it is random, that could be false or real.  If it is just one cyl, I would say it is real.  Or if it is the two where the PCV gases come in.

16MagSport

Quote from: 16MagSport on October 28, 2016, 08:41:21 PM
Quote from: nickwalter4 on October 28, 2016, 05:23:11 PM
No i cant. I just keep an eye on it. For now its cold startup during cold temps. It doest seem to do it at all at temp anymore. Just bothersome and a cause for worry. Being that my wife drives it more than i do . (The toddler seat is easier to reach than in the lancer. Guess ill see if it goes away in spring. When weather warms up.

AJP turbo

Yeah!!! Winner winner chicken dinner!! Nice job
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

16MagSport

Nick, you should start a new topic because your issue is nothing like mine.  I was getting false knock which was seen in my datalogs.  It seems like the last zip tying that I did to the knock sensor wires helped eliminate some false KR and made it more consistent, but I still seem to have some noise which causes it to register KR at WOT.  I can add advance and get the same KR and add octane and get hte same KR, so AJP and I decided to turn things up a little.  It is still not a really aggressive tune, but it feels much better than stock.  0.75  seconds quicker in the 1/4 and 4mph faster!  It will do even better if the car had time to cool down and if the air was even cooler.  My IAT's were still pretty hot.

Did you like my update in the previous post?  I raced it on Wednesday with about the 8th tune revision from AJP and it was SUPER consistent.  I was able to make it to the final.  It was a double breakout run.  I crossed a foot ahead but I broke out by 4 thousandths more than my opponent.  So close!  I would have won but I didn't stage deep enough.  A deeper stage would have slowed my ET by a few tenths and my reaction would have been better.  Anyway, it ran 13.811 @ 98.2mph.  Stock was 14.56 @ 94mph.

Thanks AJP Turbo!!

Now for a little more aggressive "Race" tune and take advantage of some good fuel at the track.  Not cheap though.  $10/gal for 100 octane.

SHOdded

16MagSport

Thanks AJP.  I sent you 2 logs out of my 10 passes.  1st and last, which was slowest and quickest.  I have not even looked at them yet.  I am guessing the only difference will be IAT's dropped for the quickest and in turn gave it a couple degrees more advance.  I could feel it pulling harder once it cooled a little.  Drove it tonight in the cold air and it felt GOOD!