• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Livernois Tune Madness on "Winter Blend"

Started by 14SHOCAR, January 26, 2016, 02:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

14SHOCAR

Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've been on to chat about my tune issues. Ever since winter came about (and even sometimes in summer), I've been getting the obnoxious popping at wide open throttle, near 5k-6k RPM. I've been talking extensively with people who have Torrie/Unleashed Tuned vehicles and they don't have popping what-so-ever. I also hear that Livernois came out with a v9 tune, which makes the popping issue worse.

I don't completely buy the "winter blend story" shouldn't the car compensate with it's fuel trims based on air density, temperature, and octane? Does spark blowout generate misfire codes? The only code I have is a steering angle sensor code, which keeps me wondering what is going on.

I also want to get a running list of people who are having this issue. I'd like to take it to Livernois and say I'm not the only person having this issue. They insist they have the tune installed on 100s of cars without issue. Its hard to believe. If you have an issue with popping what year is the make model and year of your ecoboosted engines.

Thanks all.
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

FoMoCoSHO

Have you checked to see if the car behaves the same with the stock tune?

14SHOCAR

I'm going to load the stock tune when I take my care into the shop to get the windshield washer fluid pump fixed. lol Such a stupid problem to have with the car. 43,000 miles and they won't cover it under factory warranty.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

FoMoCoSHO

Might want to check your plug gaps, I haven't had the 15 checked but the 13 was all over the place.

14SHOCAR

Here's the kicker. The plugs were "pre-gapped" from Livernois. > : ( perhaps I should ask kindly for a new set.
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: 14SHOCAR on January 26, 2016, 02:36:27 PM
Here's the kicker. The plugs were "pre-gapped" from Livernois. > : ( perhaps I should ask kindly for a new set.
Did you verify the gap before install?

Were they SP-534's?

14SHOCAR

Gap was around .030-.032 on all of the plugs. I'll have to check the model number.
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

Livernois Motorsports

Brenton,

Is this still with e85 blended fuel by chance?  If I recall you said this issue came about after adding 1.5 gallons of e85 with 93 octane which we personally do not recommend to do in an EcoBoost vehicle.  We have not had a single car here on the dyno making any popping sounds nor have we had customers reporting back their car pops after they've loaded our tune. 

Minor spark blow out will not cause misfire codes that we have seen. 

bpd1151

Quote from: 14SHOCAR on January 26, 2016, 02:32:39 PMI'm going to load the stock tune when I take my care into the shop to get the windshield washer fluid pump fixed. lol Such a stupid problem to have with the car. 43,000 miles and they won't cover it under factory warranty.

Why take it to dealer for the windshield washer pump?

Especially out of warranty?

It's a 10min DIY job! Crawl under the psgr side of car, unfasten the smaller under belly pan to gain access, reach up, unplug wiring harness to pump, un-snap the pump from the plastic tabs formed into reservoir, replace with new pump.

Wallah!

Oh, & I've never experienced these popping issues that you speaketh of....

FWIW to your numbers tabulating.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Popping sounds could be "backfires" through the intake manifold also.  Check thoroughly for loose/split hoses/connections.  Do you still have the OEM intake?  Might be worth putting that back on and seeing if there's any difference.  The K&N might be magnifying these sounds.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

I would order a new set of (COP) total six needed and ba fairly cheap alternative which might fix your issues,sometimes the boot gets ripped due to heat and the spring inside overtime gets corroded because of moisture buildup and can cause misfires,a failing coil may cause the engine to backfire to emit a (loud pop from the engine)during sudden acceleration or even cause the car to shudder and will experience poor mpg.  Z            http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3422364&cc=3300371&jnid=485&jpid=0

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ecoboostsho

Have you logged it to see what is going on?  Watch fuel pressures, misfires, throttle plate position etc...when it happens and then you will at least have a clue what is happening assuming you have the capability to do so.  Use Forscan on a phone and get an MX adapter for the best resolution. (assuming you don't have an SCT handy since you are Livernois / Mycal customer) It's a good investment anyway to know what is going on with your car...
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

Larrylu

Only time I had popping noise was when a small pressure line that had no clamp on it came off. I had an over boost code.  Dealer replaced the hose and added a clamp. The car also ran like crap.

2010 Stl Bl Met, Loaded, non PP, LMS 4+X, K&N drop in, 170 T-stat, 3 bar MAP, SP534
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

BiGMaC

Quote from: ecoboostsho on January 26, 2016, 06:57:55 PM
Have you logged it to see what is going on?  Watch fuel pressures, misfires, throttle plate position etc...when it happens and then you will at least have a clue what is happening assuming you have the capability to do so.  Use Forscan on a phone and get an MX adapter for the best resolution. (assuming you don't have an SCT handy since you are Livernois / Mycal customer) It's a good investment anyway to know what is going on with your car...

Good idea... But maybe just run a vehicle health report first.... Might be some info there.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

ZSHO

Quote from: BiGMaC on January 26, 2016, 09:20:57 PM
Quote from: ecoboostsho on January 26, 2016, 06:57:55 PM

Good idea... But maybe just run a vehicle health report first.... Might be some info there.
I think Brenton is to busy focusing on his new anticipated video in the works exclusively on Tangents Daily so do subscribe,Btw did you make a video on the popping madness from hell part 3,at the very end its all about the ratings.lol.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|