• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Unleashed tuning and Livernois tuning comparison on my SHO

Started by southtxSHO, February 12, 2015, 01:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IHeartGroceries

Yeah, if there's any adaptive logic in the tune, as is typically the case, you'd be at a disadvantage running it full bore having just uploaded a set of new tables.
Of course, with of this backward control feedback taking place on this engine, not certain that applies.
2013 SHO PP

southtxSHO

Quote from: middthrew00 on February 12, 2015, 09:33:49 PM
What other mods does your car have besides a tune?

LMS catted down pipes, drop in k&n, 3 bar sensor and Sp534 plugs .
2011 SHO non PP
LMS 4 +tune
LMS Cai
LMS catted downpipes
12.89@ 105 MPH best time @ Edinburg Raceway

southtxSHO

Quote from: SHOnUup on February 13, 2015, 09:30:05 PM
Seeing as how you have the ability to swap tunes. Maybe try running Livernois tune for "say" a full day at least, and head to track with it as first runs. Then switch to the Torrie tunes.

Just an idea to try.

Rich

I will be doing this soon just out of curiosity
2011 SHO non PP
LMS 4 +tune
LMS Cai
LMS catted downpipes

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: southtxSHO on February 14, 2015, 12:50:26 AM
Seeing as how you have the ability to swap tunes. Maybe try running Livernois tune for "say" a full day at least, and head to track with it as first runs. Then switch to the Torrie tunes.

Just an idea to try.

Rich

I would give it more than a day, if you can. The adaptive learning that the EB's have takes a while to "learn".
But, we definitely appreciate the comparo!

southtxSHO

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on February 14, 2015, 10:28:46 AM
Quote from: southtxSHO on February 14, 2015, 12:50:26 AM

Just an idea to try.

Rich

I would give it more than a day, if you can. The adaptive learning that the EB's have takes a while to "learn".
But, we definitely appreciate the comparo!
I'm currently running the LMS tune , so that won't be a problem. I had been running the unleashed tune for a week since the last revised tune.
2011 SHO non PP
LMS 4 +tune
LMS Cai
LMS catted downpipes

Livernois Motorsports

Oh, very cool! If there is anything that we can do my personal contact info is
<----------Right here!

EcoPowerParts

It's never the ET to compare, it's always the MPH, and with them being within .1 of each other I'd say they're identical.
ET has nothing to do with HP and all to do with sticking.
As an example - same car, same tune nothing changed but tires (mine)
10.6@133 with a 1.65 60' - 19x10 with 305/35R19 MT DR
10.3@133 with a 1.50 60' - 17x11 with 325/45R17 M&H DR
I even ran an 11.0@132 lifting
If you want to quantify power the MPH is the key, there's almost no difference in the two cars tunes.

Concerning the adaptive learning - if both have been tuned right before the pass then they're both in the same learning scenario on the ECU - another thing to remove from the equation.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

ElvenSho

Taking a closer look at the slips it looks like Unleashed tune is actually stronger through 1/8 mile as it traped a bit more but then top end they kind of equal out. I think you needed to run a few more with lms tune and then switch back to unleashed again for a few. I doubt one company can tune more things then the other. It just depends how agressive they want to get.
2011 Red Taurus SHO- H&R springs, plugs, t-stat, 3bar, LMS dps, tuned by Torrie

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: ElvenSho on February 18, 2015, 10:26:51 AM
I doubt one company can tune more things then the other. It just depends how agressive they want to get.

That is actually inaccurate. There are about 18-19k different tables that make up an EB ECU. For example, other tuning companies might only give you access to 100, and if you want to alter a table that is outside of the 100 pre-selected tables you are out of luck. For that reason, we engineered our own software.

ElvenSho

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on February 18, 2015, 10:30:38 AM
Quote from: ElvenSho on February 18, 2015, 10:26:51 AM
I doubt one company can tune more things then the other. It just depends how agressive they want to get.

That is actually inaccurate. There are about 18-19k different tables that make up an EB ECU. For example, other tuning companies might only give you access to 100, and if you want to alter a table that is outside of the 100 pre-selected tables you are out of luck. For that reason, we engineered our own software.

Ok I guess I was wrong. I just figured with that many more options to tune the car there would be a bigger difference in the tune. Also what I noticed with my previous car which was not a turbo so it could be different is that right after loading the tune the car feels more responsive and stronger so that could be working in your tunes favor here also. I am not here to defend one company or the other just saying what I noticed. I am going with Unleashed for my tune mainly because I already have the x3 tuner. I think both of the companies do a good job. Plus I do like the fact that Unleashed looks at the logs and adjusts for my car even though I understand there wont be a big difference one way or the other.

SHOnUup

I re-flashed my tune in between runs and ran worse times even though the shifting felt more aggressive. So I think that the Livernois tune was at a slight disadvantage.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

ElvenSho

Quote from: SHOnUup on February 18, 2015, 11:45:18 AM
I re-flashed my tune in between runs and ran worse times even though the shifting felt more aggressive. So I think that the Livernois tune was at a slight disadvantage.

Rich

That's strange. My 2014 Ford Focus (yes I know I actually tuned it) felt stronger after re-flashing and I did it many times. Maybe because its N/A? If anything I would think the tune would slowly get weaker due to the car learning the driving habits unless you were to beat on it 24/7.  This is me just guessing although there is a thread around here where people recommend to re-flash every few weeks or when going to track.

Livernois Motorsports

Well, if you really think about everything possible was stacked against us.
We did a remote tune.
No "required" logging was done.
Only 20 mins between runs.
And he obviously spun on our tuning....

Logging on your EB does not yield a better tune, the OP has independently and inadvertently proven this here.

ElvenSho

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on February 18, 2015, 12:50:40 PM
We did a remote tune.

Logging on your EB does not yield a better tune, the OP has independently and inadvertently proven this here.
You might be right. I wonder if Torrie would agree with you about not needing to log on the EB engines... What if you guys infact do have a tune thats just a tiny bit faster but is pushing the limits of the engine more due to not reading each engines reaction to the tune (logs) which in return could kill the engine faster? Who blew up more EB engines u guys or Unleashed? (Serious question I have no idea) Torrie should get in this threat to give his view on it all! I also think this can be a mature conversation I am not saying to bash each other.

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: ElvenSho on February 18, 2015, 01:09:34 PM
Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on February 18, 2015, 12:50:40 PM
We did a remote tune.

You might be right. I wonder if Torrie would agree with you about not needing to log on the EB engines... What if you guys infact do have a tune thats just a tiny bit faster but is pushing the limits of the engine more due to not reading each engines reaction to the tune (logs) which in return could kill the engine faster? Who blew up more EB engines u guys or Unleashed? (Serious question I have no idea) Torrie should get in this threat to give his view on it all! I also think this can be a mature conversation I am not saying to bash each other.

The problem with the end user logging is that you do not have the ability to log 100% accurate information VIA the OBDii port. Whereas, Torrie and us as well are hooking up to the ECU with a laptop, and using tuning software to monitor live info from the ECU. The sample rates and PIDS that you get from your monitors, apps and such are EXTREMELY poor. Giving us imperfect information. We learned this back in 2009 when we first dived head first into the EB platform.

Keep in mind that we have more access to more of the ECUs tables than anyone using one the big 3rd party tuning suppliers. Because we know the logic and engineering of the EB ECU so well I would argue your example being probable. I don't want to call it impossible, because anything is possible. BUT, we have yet to blow up a client's vehicle with our tuning regardless of it being remote or dyno tuning. Not that we are aspiring to by any means lol, but it has not happened.

As for the tuning and being on the edge, we actually run less boost that almost anyone else. Our tunes add maybe 1-2# of boost to a stock car, keeping everything in the "happy" range for efficiency. We see forums posts of people running, 5, and sometimes even 10# of boost more than stock and wondering why they run slower than our tunes. It shouldn't take much to observe which version is safer, and which is living life dangerously. If you can make the same (or more) power at less boost, why run more? It will just shorten the life of, well, everything.