• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Performance Oil Pan

Started by SHO-OFF, May 12, 2020, 11:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHO-OFF

I'm building up a 2013 SHO for road racing. A common modification is to add a windage tray or performance oil pan. Has anybody found a source for either for the 3.5 EB? Thanks.
2013 SHO w/Performance Pack, custom tune for 94 octane by Livernois Motorsports (LMS), Wilwood 15" & 14.25" front and back brake kit by TCE Performance, H&R lowering springs, BBS CCR-0204 wheels 20x8.5, Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R tires 245/45R20, Roush cold air intake (by LMS), American Racing headers (by LMS), Corsa exhaust (by LMS), 3 Bar MAP sensor, 160F thermostat, JLT Performance oil separator, MCD ignition coils, hot pipes by  Ecoboost Power Parts, CSF Radiator inter-cooler by GearHeads, NGK ruthenium HX spark plugs, rear windows tint

bpd1151

I researched. Came up empty.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TopherSho

Quote from: bpd1151 on May 12, 2020, 12:23:18 PM
I researched. Came up emtpy.

Yeah,  I looked as well after seeing benefits above 5500rpm on other engines (LS's).  You'd have to have one custom built.  *but* if you are stock heads, valves and your rev limiter is OEM It may not yield good return value.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Gjkrisa

Quote from: TopherSho on May 12, 2020, 12:44:08 PM

Yeah,  I looked as well after seeing benefits above 5500rpm on other engines (LS's).  You'd have to have one custom built.  *but* if you are stock heads, valves and your rev limiter is OEM It may not yield good return value.
Why is that(stock valves...) I think the sho makes a great track car you leave it in sport mode and you stay high reving all the time you start to see just how good the car is except for your ptu fluid will probably need changed but you should be changing the engine oil too.
The baffled oil pan is one thing that was over looked. And poor planning of changing the ptu fluid.
Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

GhostlyGrenade

You better get the extra no questions asked insurance on that spicy rental!!!!
2015 SHO Darkside paint color, 3 bar, Motorcraft SP542 plugs@0.28, MSD Coils, K&N drop in, Continental Extreme Contact tires 255/45R20, EBC Yellow pads, 170 T-Stat, Redline 5w30, updated to the 2018+ trans mount, E-30 Blend, TUNED by AJPTurbo

TopherSho

Quote from: Gjkrisa on May 12, 2020, 02:39:23 PM

Why is that(stock valves...) I think the sho makes a great track car you leave it in sport mode and you stay high reving all the time you start to see just how good the car is except for your ptu fluid will probably need changed but you should be changing the engine oil too.
The baffled oil pan is one thing that was over looked. And poor planning of changing the ptu fluid.

Bigger exhaust valves will help with the breathing and reduce pumping resistance,  that would help rpm a bit/'build faster' and help build boost sooner as well as a increase in TQ on the high end, Better intake valves are hit or miss on some platforms with regard to fluid dynamics so im on the fence for SHO's with the current config of the heads.  But the flow of the OEM heads is absolutely restrictive.  It it not just a limit of the parts for the lower RPM limit, there are flow issues with the layout. 

I am ***extremely*** interested in BPD's build and see where the RPM limit is after final tuning and the TQ power curve.  With oem parts our power falls off the face of the earth right after 6200 rpm. 

If we can get a build that will push 'good' power over 6700+ rpm plus well see a rash of new track records as the 60' drops .. added:  A windage tray with a scraper for that kind of build would yield and easy 15ftlbs at mid and 20+ @ higher rpms..

My only concern is windage scrapers need replacing,  in our config that's pulling the block :(
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

StealBlueSho

Quote from: TopherSho on May 13, 2020, 12:19:40 PM

Bigger exhaust valves will help with the breathing and reduce pumping resistance,  that would help rpm a bit/'build faster' and help build boost sooner as well as a increase in TQ on the high end, Better intake valves are hit or miss on some platforms with regard to fluid dynamics so im on the fence for SHO's with the current config of the heads.  But the flow of the OEM heads is absolutely restrictive.  It it not just a limit of the parts for the lower RPM limit, there are flow issues with the layout. 

I am ***extremely*** interested in BPD's build and see where the RPM limit is after final tuning and the TQ power curve.  With oem parts our power falls off the face of the earth right after 6200 rpm. 

If we can get a build that will push 'good' power over 6700+ rpm plus well see a rash of new track records as the 60' drops .. added:  A windage tray with a scraper for that kind of build would yield and easy 15ftlbs at mid and 20+ @ higher rpms..

My only concern is windage scrapers need replacing,  in our config that's pulling the block :(
Gearhead is working on cams that will get us another 1K of rpms just for this reason....

Hoping it works out !

Gjkrisa

Quote from: TopherSho on May 13, 2020, 12:19:40 PM

For auto crossing a car you don't need any of that it's more up to how good of a driver are you.
break late, soon on the gas, plan your line.
But preventing the engine starving it's self from oil is very high on the list of needing.

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

SHO-OFF

Hey Everybody.

Thanks so much for all of the comments and ideas. After reading two stories on the internet about drivers that attributed blown engines to oil starving during spirited driving on twisty roads, which sounds a lot like racing at Oregon Raceway Park, I started to think about a windage tray and scrapers. Most SHO enthusiasts are probably after the same thing... additional horsepower and reliability should not be mutually exclusive.

My neighbour knows of a fella that custom builds windage trays for his own racing cars, so I may have news in the future. A custom built windage tray won't be cheap, I'm sure.
2013 SHO w/Performance Pack, custom tune for 94 octane by Livernois Motorsports (LMS), Wilwood 15" & 14.25" front and back brake kit by TCE Performance, H&R lowering springs, BBS CCR-0204 wheels 20x8.5, Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R tires 245/45R20, Roush cold air intake (by LMS), American Racing headers (by LMS), Corsa exhaust (by LMS), 3 Bar MAP sensor, 160F thermostat, JLT Performance oil separator, MCD ignition coils, hot pipes by  Ecoboost Power Parts, CSF Radiator inter-cooler by GearHeads, NGK ruthenium HX spark plugs, rear windows tint

bpd1151

Quote from: SHO-OFF on May 24, 2020, 05:32:18 PM
Hey Everybody.

Thanks so much for all of the comments and ideas. After reading two stories on the internet about drivers that attributed blown engines to oil starving during spirited driving on twisty roads, which sounds a lot like racing at Oregon Raceway Park, I started to think about a windage tray and scrapers. Most SHO enthusiasts are probably after the same thing... additional horsepower and reliability should not be mutually exclusive.

My neighbour knows of a fella that custom builds windage trays for his own racing cars, so I may have news in the future. A custom built windage tray won't be cheap, I'm sure.
I'll be interested in one.

Shoot me a PM on a range of expected pricing.

If a deposit may be required, I'm ok with that as well.