• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2015 Ford Explorer Sport - AC Compressor Not Starting

Started by lotusnotes, June 29, 2020, 01:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lotusnotes

Hi Guys

Having an issue with my new-to-me 2015 Ford Explorer Sport, the AC Compressor is Not Starting when put on AC or MAX AC. Watching the belt and compressor when I enable AC on the control in vehicle the center pulley / clutch does not engage, so seems to be either failing the pressure check or there is something item that is not meeting criteria to kick it on. I have a new belt to put on but the old belt is functioning OK at this point.

I'm not new to mechanic work but inexperienced with AC (honestly no vehicle I've ever had to date has ever had an AC issue.)  I heard that it could be I'm low on refrigerant, so the system pressure switch is staying open (high side, low side?) and not completing the circuit to engage the compressor.

Any idea where these switches are on the 3.5 EB? I see the caps on the schraeder valves for AC lines but didn't notice any switch. My first plan will be to jump that switch and see if it kicks on, and if it does, take the vehicle for an AC top off (where they presumably will try to pull vacumm first for 10 or 15 mins to verify the system is closed and can hold the gas.)

Just wondering if any one has done this before, where these switch(es) are located and if there is anything common issues or problems I should be on the lookout even before this step. I saw some posts about blend door actuator, but not clear if a failure there would prevent the compressor from coming on altogether which is where I'm at currently.

Thanks!

lotusnotes

So I figured this out - whoever mounted the light bar on this truck before I got it, mounted it in the lower bumper cutout, and it was touching the condenser. Throughout however many miles rubbing it eventually wore a hole through and lost the refrigerant so that's the issue.

So I have a new condenser, drier, and seal/o-ring kit coming and then will get it refilled. A very silly problem to have but not a terrible fix anyway!