• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Stock turbo efficiency..?

Started by StinkinLinkin13, March 19, 2020, 09:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperPete

Crazy question:
Looking at the Turbo Waistgate shaft I noticed it has allthread and lock nut, meaning the travel and zero point of waist gate can be changed and calibrated.
Is it possible some of the turbos like my and some other guys with low boost are not calibrated and not closing all the way?
2014 SHO, GearHead TUNNED /Powered by Matt Robinson
PPE Downpipes, GearHead Intercooler, AirAid Intake
XDI-35 HPFP @ E40,   MSD Coilpacks
MUSTANG DYNO: 426/446
Continental Extreme Contact 06 & Powerstop Z23 all 4 corners

SM105K

Quote from: SuperPete on April 15, 2020, 01:43:44 PM
Crazy question:
Looking at the Turbo Waistgate shaft I noticed it has allthread and lock nut, meaning the travel and zero point of waist gate can be changed and calibrated.
Is it possible some of the turbos like my and some other guys with low boost are not calibrated and not closing all the way?

In theory yes.  If you are bored drop your DP's.  Use compressed air with a regulator and start at 18 psi.   Pressurize the actuator and see if it closes the wastegate flap completely closed.  Back off the pressure and see when it cracks open.  I am really interested to see what happens honestly.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SuperPete

I am not dropping my downpipe :) too much work.
Can I do same thing without dropping it?
Can I put 20PSI, close waistgate, put a mark on the shaft how far it went in, then undo C-Clamp, more it by hand and see if it's traveling pass them mark?
Is that possible?

What if ford has them calibrated to only close 90% to protect the turbos?
Thats possible, right?

SM105K

Quote from: SuperPete on April 15, 2020, 02:18:29 PM
I am not dropping my downpipe :) too much work.
Can I do same thing without dropping it?
Can I put 20PSI, close waistgate, put a mark on the shaft how far it went in, then undo C-Clamp, more it by hand and see if it's traveling pass them mark?
Is that possible?

I would assume so.  I say drop the DP's because so you can verify they are working correctly and seating flush.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SuperPete

I am not dropping DP, I still have nightmares of me putting PPE DP's in few months back, LOL
I got this, I have work cutout for me on Friday night, can't wait...
I will apply 20PSI to the actuator, get under the car, remove C-clamp, disconnect the shaft from the arm and see if I can move arm anymore to close position, if I can I will adjust the set-nut to that and call it good.
Thinking about it, you dont really need 20PSI, stock turbos are about 12 at max?
So even 15PSI will do the job

SM105K

Quote from: SuperPete on April 15, 2020, 02:36:52 PM
I am not dropping DP, I still have nightmares of me putting PPE DP's in few months back, LOL
I will apply 20PSI to the actuator, get under the car, remove C-clamp, disconnect the shaft from the arm and see if I can move arm anymore to close position, if I can I will adjust the set-nut to that and call it good.
Thinking about it, you dont really need 20PSI, stock turbos are about 12 at max?

Starting pressure is arbitrary. Pressurize it enough for the actuator to fully engage the arm to move the flap to the fully closed position. At whatever pressure that is mark the rod.  Start backing it off a psi each time and see when the rod moves back towards the starting position.  From there adjust the adjustment piece to have it close fully with less pressure.     

Gjkrisa

Quote from: SM105K on April 15, 2020, 02:56:22 PM
Quote from: SuperPete on April 15, 2020, 02:36:52 PM

Starting pressure is arbitrary. Pressurize it enough for the actuator to fully engage the arm to move the flap to the fully closed position. At whatever pressure that is mark the rod.  Start backing it off a psi each time and see when the rod moves back towards the starting position.  From there adjust the adjustment piece to have it close fully with less pressure.     
I think that is worth a sticky

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

SuperPete

Not yet, let me figure this out, I will make a new post, make video of this and if it's proven that Ford eye-bowls the rod plus minus 10 it will be game changer.
For factory 10-12 PSI WG never closes full to produce pressure stock motor needs, so fine tuning the rod length is not important and not necessary for ford, it probably never reaches 50% duty cycle ether.
But if this is the case, that's why some people see 14PSI and other 18PSI at full closed WG

Give me couple of days to get this figured out and documented and we will have game changer here on the forum

TopherSho

Are you suggesting the wastegate may have additional mechanical 'pressure' to apply allowing for the oem snails to hold more boost?

Topher < not up to scratch on the topic shift ..
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

SuperPete

SuperPete

Well, hate to bring bad news but it's absolutely impossible to do any adjustments to the WG with the turbos installed, even if I drop downpipes I can't get to the shaft to be able to adjust it, no way.
back turbo, maybe if you get yourself two super skinny long arms, front NO WAY
Sorry, no luck...

jman

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on April 15, 2020, 09:57:13 AM
I'm in the process of returning to stock. Technically I'm still under Lincolns 70k mile drivetrain warranty. It was also a certified used car... So hopefully they take care of it. My only concern is the flash count if they decide to look.
If I were you I'd temporally change my avatar and signature, you never know who's watching.

2010 - Unleashed Tune - Corsa Exhaust - 275/40-R20 - H&R Springs