• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PCV Noise

Started by ROCOB, April 16, 2020, 11:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROCOB

Good Morning. 

I am hopeful that you all can lend me some guidance with what I believe is a problem.  I recently had a new engine installed in my car, abut 600 miles ago, and it is running fine.  However, the fuel economy is down approximately 20% on the first two tanks of gas. 

I had the TSB for the PCV performed years ago and when they swapped out the engine they changed everything over appropriately as far as I know.  At idle, the PCV systems appears to be making a considerable amount of noise.  I can place my hands over the end where it meets the valve cover and it muffles the noise dramatically.  I took the car back to the dealership and told them about the dramatic decrease in economy and also the noise.  They tested the PCV system and said that it was functioning properly and the noise was normal.  They could not account for the decreased fuel economy either.

I made a video with my phone and tried to upload it, but the format in which I made the video is not compatible.  I did attach a picture to illustrate that area where I place my hand that muffles the noise.

I would appreciate any suggestions that you all might have.
2013 402A PP
White Platinum Metallic
K&N Flat Panel Filter, otherwise stock

ZSHO

It looks like the Dealer installed a PCV ELBOW instead of a PCV Valve IMO! The Pcv Elbow is installed and located in the Front clean-side PCV System location AFAIK...

Elbow- 4L2Z6762-AA

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-pcv-tube-elbow-4l2z6762aa/?c=Zz1lbWlzc2lvbi1jb250cm9sJnM9ZXZhcG9yYXRpdmUtc3lzdGVtJmk9TUYyMDM5NjUmcj0xMyZhPWZvcmQmbz10YXVydXMmeT0yMDEzJnQ9c2hvJmU9My01bC12Ni1nYXM%3D

Have you tried removing the PCV Valve counter-clockwise! I would make certain the valve is Fully seated against the Oil Sep...
I noticed you have a Green Valve! The 13+ SHO Has a Brown PCV Valve IIRC!
Does your SHO meet CAL OR Fed emissions standards! Z

PCV Valve - Ford (KR3Z-6A666-A)

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-pcv-valve-kr3z6a666a/?c=Zz1lbWlzc2lvbi1jb250cm9sJnM9ZXZhcG9yYXRpdmUtc3lzdGVtJmk9TUYyMDM5NjUmcj0xMCZhPWZvcmQmbz10YXVydXMmeT0yMDEzJnQ9c2hvJmU9My01bC12Ni1nYXM%3D

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ROCOB

Thanks for the reply Z,  I will look at the set up front and back when get home. 

If there is a problem with the PVC system, will it affect my fuel economy?
2013 402A PP
White Platinum Metallic

ZSHO

Quote from: ROCOB on April 16, 2020, 03:40:29 PM
Thanks for the reply Z,  I will look at the set up front and back when get home. 

If there is a problem with the PVC system, will it affect my fuel economy?
Since the PCV is part of the emissions system it might affect it a bit..
The PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve is a one-way valve that recycles crankcase gases back into the engine to burn. A plugged PCV valve can result in a rough idle and poor mileage.

The PCV Elbow has a straight thru design which ultimately directs any such oil and water vapors into the intake..

Did the Dealer install a New long or short block engine ? Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ZSHO

Here are a couple of PICS for reference.
The Fittings are completely different. Z

BROWN- REAR PCV VALVE TO OIL SEP 

BLACK- FRONT PCV ELBOW

ROCOB

Hey Z,

I snapped a couple of pictures on the front.  Hope this will help some.

thanks.
2013 402A PP
White Platinum Metallic

ZSHO

I would purchase a new PCV Valve from the Ford dealer or www.rockauto.com Since they can be had for fairly cheap IMHO and proceed from there. Z

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2013,taurus,3.5l+v6+turbocharged,1503823,exhaust+&+emission,pcv+(positive+crankcase+ventilation)+valve,5052

ROCOB

Will do.

Thanks for your help Z!!!
2013 402A PP
White Platinum Metallic

ZSHO

Best of luck and keep us updated on all counts. Z