• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Urgent Air Raid Install Question

Started by Freshwes, January 17, 2017, 07:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freshwes

Hi Everyone,

Just received my 450-260 air raid kit for my 2013 taurus, and it appears that the IAT sensor harness is not long enough to reach.

Is it safe to splice in new wire to extend it? car is currently apart.  It also seems like the IAT is slightly loose in the kit as well, although its secured by the washer as specified in the instructions.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

AJP turbo

I wouldnt touch the wire...you should be able to cut the loom a little or find the next clip that secures the wire and unclip it or cut a zip tie to gain some length without splicing wires
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

derfdog15

Quote from: AJP turbo on January 17, 2017, 07:59:03 PM
I wouldnt touch the wire...you should be able to cut the loom a little or find the next clip that secures the wire and unclip it or cut a zip tie to gain some length without splicing wires

Pretty spot on, there is a clip on the side of the engine, if you trace the wiring back a little from the sensor. Unclip it and you will have enough length, that is how mine is currently set up.

As for the sensor, is the stock O-ring in good shape? Mine broke when I pulled the sensor out of the stock housing. If it is damaged it may not be sealing fully. However, with the sensor properly oriented, and the washer and bolt in place you should be fine. If the O-ring is damaged, replace it later on and the sensor will fit tighter. I used an O-ring slightly larger than the stock size, with a dot of oil on it, then pressed the sensor in tight, IMO even without the bolt my sensor will not be going anywhere
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

Freshwes

Awesome, Thanks Guys.

Was able to unclip it in a 2 places and it reaches.  Still makes me a bit uneasy that i had to loosen it. but i guess it'll work.

As for the o-ring, that would have been my next question, doesn't seem to seal 100% however its tight and in place.

Is the o-ring a ford part number? do i need to replace the sensor or would a regular o-ring suffice.

Thanks Again

derfdog15

Quote from: Freshwes on January 17, 2017, 09:27:56 PM
Awesome, Thanks Guys.

Was able to unclip it in a 2 places and it reaches.  Still makes me a bit uneasy that i had to loosen it. but i guess it'll work.

As for the o-ring, that would have been my next question, doesn't seem to seal 100% however its tight and in place.

Is the o-ring a ford part number? do i need to replace the sensor or would a regular o-ring suffice.

Thanks Again

Wire wise, mine has been connected as I described for the last ~5k without issue.

As for the O-ring, I used a standard black O-ring. It took some trial and error because I broke the stock one, and threw it away absent mindedly. I ended up using a standard black O-ring, that felt a bit thicker than the stock one. Like I said, I had to put a dot of oil on the O-ring, and then push the sensor down with a screwdriver to get it to pop into place. Mine feels very very snug. Good luck!
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

ZSHO

I don't think there is a specific ford o-ring for the IAT sensor AFAIK.
I would purchase an assortment of o-rings which comes in a variety of sizes & can be handy for multiple applications such as the Iat,map sensors,Hvac,etc,pics below.  Z                                                                       

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilmar-W5201-270pc-A-C-O-Ring-Assortment/140792825158?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40806%26meid%3D70cb417432dd42a7894ff142f4846a91%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D162273361960

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|