• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New TSB for 3.5 GDI Sartup Rattle 15-0131

Started by BiGMaC, September 05, 2015, 10:19:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGMaC

Found this video this morning from Ford Tech Makuloco. It officially covers the F150 through 5/2015 manufacture. ford is touting the new fix as a permanent cure. It not only involves the replacement of the stretched timing chain, but also involves replacement of both the intake and exhaust cam phasers. Most important it does not require anything to be present except the startup rattle.... Not a DTC, timing problems, or anything else required to get it done other than the rattle. I suspect that the same will be forthcoming for the transverse 3.5 GDI soon if your dealer won't honor it now. Again currently it is for the F150. Here's the link to the video:
http://youtu.be/OFhvUFtnBCk

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

Sounds like the start of a series on new TSBs.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

GREAT video BiGMaC ,btw they also have an updated timing chain to help on the issue.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

bamsho

Just FYI guys, we only have one cam phaser on each head, the F150 platform has two cam phasers.  I think this added strain is was is causing extra wear on things.  I really haven't heard much startup rattle in the transverse platform.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

glock-coma

Quote from: bamsho on September 05, 2015, 06:23:04 PM
Just FYI guys, we only have one cam phaser on each head, the F150 platform has two cam phasers.  I think this added strain is was is causing extra wear on things.  I really haven't heard much startup rattle in the transverse platform.
I have the startup rattle if I let the car sit for more than a day.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

bamsho

Wow Glock, your the first that I have heard.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

glock-coma

Pretty sure painter pat and a few other flex owners and a few SHO on here have it at one time  or another . It's not nearly as bad as the f150 I've heard online, but it's definitely there. I'll try to get a sound clip tomorrow.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

ZSHO

Agree with Glock,quite a few have exhibited these symptoms one time or another and mostly happens when the vehicle has not been driven for a few days or more,from my experience find it important to frequently change the oil and sticking to the same grade,weight so it does not cause delay on the cam phasers which could lead also to loss of power..  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

painterpatt

Ohhh mine does it alright. 49k not cool, past 5 yr warranty now so looks like I get to fix it
Koolaid drinkin, Flex drivin !!

SHOdded

I think an argument could be made that it is part of emissions equipment (Variable Camshaft Timing Kit), so should be under the 7/70 (or longer in CA) coverage.  If you have had it in for service for this issue before, the case is even stronger.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Leadfoot

I remember reading a thread a couple years ago about startup rattle and oil filters. It seemed that certain brands would cause more startup rattle but I can't find the thread now.
2018 Taurus SHO White, non pp (ACC) 20/35% tint, ceramic coating, hot pipes, PPE catted down pipes, GH Auto tune, 170 degree t-Stat. Anthony DiCunzolo gen 2 rear mount.

SHOdded

Thinking of this thread perhaps?
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,696
or this one started by painterpatt :)
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,872

Usually, if it is oil filter related, installing an OEM Motorcraft FL500s filter helps minimize/stop the "brief rattle at startup" symptom.  glock has a Fram Ultra Guard that works for his 2010 SHO.  If you are using 5w20 spec, see if 5w30 makes any difference.  One change at a time though, so you know whether it is the filter or the oil that made the difference.

Keeping those cam phasers lubricated is a challenge due to the tiny oil passages built into them.  If they pick up ANY gunk, that spells trouble.  You COULD try running an engine cleaner like AutoRX through the oil see if it helps the rattle subside any, but IDK.

SHOdded

There are at least two types of cam phasers on the market:
Oil Pressure Actuated (OPA)
Cam Torque Actuated (CTA)

Not sure which one the EB's use.

CTA phasers are independent of oil pressure for their function, described as such by Car and Driver:

"Most modern variable valve-timing (VVT) systems use a cam phaser that rotates the position of each cam­shaft relative to the timing chain. Think of making a record turntable go faster or slower by spinning it with your hands. The cam phaser has two basic com­ponents: an outer sprocket connected to the timing chain and an inner rotor (connected to the camshaft) that varies the valve timing by adjusting the rotation angle of the cam.

This inner rotor consists of a set of lobes, and oil fills the space between the outer housing and the lobes. Left alone, the rotor will simply spin at the same rate as the outer housing. If you add oil to one side of the lobe and remove it from the other, the rotor moves, and—voilà!—there's your variable valve timing.

The majority of these VVT systems use oil pressure to push the rotor back and forth, but BorgWarner thinks its cam-torque-actuated (CTA) system marks an important step forward. Oil-pressure-actuated (OPA) systems require an upsize oil pump to pro­duce the extra pressure that's required to work the cam phasers, which saps some of the fuel-economy gains of VVT. With a mechanical oil pump, OPA systems don't work well at low engine speeds because the pump doesn't build pressure and volume until the revs get higher.

The CTA system avoids those pitfalls by using Newton's Third Law of Motion—for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction—to move the oil in the cam phas­ers. When a cam lobe pushes a valve open, the valve spring resists that force and pushes back. Similarly, when the valve spring pushes a valve closed, it also pushes on the cam lobe in the opposite direction from the valve opening. When multiplied over an entire camshaft, there is enough energy from these back-and-forth forces to make cam phasing work. 

Another trick to BorgWarner's system is the way it moves oil. A center spool valve, controlled by a solenoid inside the cam-phasing rotor, directs the flow. With the valve open in one direction, oil flows into only one side of the oil pockets and can't leave. By sliding the valve back and forth, the system can mete out the precise amount of oil flow on either side of the rotor lobes.

The key advantages of the CTA system are that it responds quickly even at idle and can operate using a standard engine's oil pump. But there are downsides. As engine speeds increase, the CTA system becomes less effective. This happens because the valve events occur more frequently, reduc­ing the time available to move the oil. Con­versely, OPA systems work better as oil pres­sure increases and are better at high rpm. So there's not much of a peak power gain from a CTA system; it improves performance and efficiency in other areas of the rev range. Also, CTA cam phasing is at the mercy of the natural oscillations of those forces on the camshaft. Valve openings and closings in an inline-six are spaced too closely for the sys­tem to work well. But a V-6 (or inline-three) is perfectly suited because there isn't as much overlap between each valve event. The system also works on V-8 engines.

CTA variable valve timing debuted on Ford's 3.0-liter Duratec V-6, beginning with the 2009 Escape and the 2010 Fusion. The 3.7-liter V-6 in the Mustang uses BorgWar­ner's system, too, as do the 2011 Edge and Lincoln MKX. You can also find it on the Mustang's 5.0-liter V-8 as well as the V-8 engines used in Jaguar and Land Rover vehi­cles. These engines' efficiencies show the vir­tues of the CTA system."

Borg Warner's video on YT (more available by searching):
! No longer available
FORD CTA Torque Valve Timing video:
! No longer available

SHOdded

Oh, an oft-mentioned but frequently-forgotten fact:

If you are getting your oil changes at the dealer, INSIST on knowing what oil they are putting into your vehicle's engine.  You might be in for a rude awakening!
http://www.f150forum.com/f70/2011-ecoboost-noise-start-up-204007

BiGMaC, for one, knows exactly what's going in :thumb: ;)

markssho

I've had the startup rattle/knock for a few years now on my 2010. It's worse first thing in the morning, or after a day or two. Sometimes worse than others.
I just switched to Amsoil hoping it might help, but, nope, no change. Always used the Motorcraft filter.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

2010 Taurus SHO, Cinnamon, 402B, ACC