• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Why bigger turbos make more power than stock turbos at same PSI

Started by EcoPowerParts, November 05, 2013, 09:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJE624

Yeah, I think.  It's like water pumps.  A bigger pump supplying the same psi on the same size pipe will create higher velocities.  And, when you reduce the pipe size it will increase the velocity. 

StrawHatShinobi

I haven't had the opportunity to dyno my truck with the bigger turbos on it yet but I do know they make more power.  I play on occasion on the old hwy that goes by my subdivision, it's flat, straight and you can see for at least two miles in either direction.  Before my turbos I was getting 0-60 times of 5.5 sec, now I'm seeing 4.75's 
'13 Eco screw FX4 - THE56 turbos, AEM Dry flow, MAK DP, 4" exhaust, meth injection, Walbro 450 lift pump, 2"HBS level, 20" Fuel Nuts on 33" Toyo M/T's

DJE624

Whoa!  That's quite a gain!  Must be fun hanging on to.

bigmoneycloser

2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

StrawHatShinobi

Yeah, its an F150 super crew with 33" mud terrains on it. I bought a set of stock 17" Xlt wheels that I need to get tires for so I can take it to the track this spring.
Launches are pretty bad ass, I just try not to do the 4x4 too often with these heavy ass tires on here. Its done some clunking here and there, almost like the 4wd wasn't fully engaged.
Also this was done over and over previously and after install, same spot in the stretch of road to try and keep it as consistent as possible.
'13 Eco screw FX4 - THE56 turbos, AEM Dry flow, MAK DP, 4" exhaust, meth injection, Walbro 450 lift pump, 2"HBS level, 20" Fuel Nuts on 33" Toyo M/T's

BiGMaC

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

StrawHatShinobi

It was a good mod for the money, IMO.  Love the look of your SHO Mac, when I was dealing on my truck they had one on the lot that looked similar to yours I was eye balling.

BiGMaC

Thanks red...  working on a tasteful blackout and the lighting.   Getting ready to make it run a bit quicker... maybe not as fast as your ride.. but quicker.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

StrawHatShinobi

Well from what I can see of the pics in your Sig, you're doing a nice job. I'm sure you'll have no trouble besting my heavy brick when you get into the performance aspect of it, these SHO's are pretty bad.
My truck is black and I've gone with a black/gun metal theme. I need to get the milled part of my wheels done yet and my FX redone (was done before i decided to do gun metal).Had planned on tinting the tails but I just painted the clear edges black which is a subtle but no d changd

BiGMaC

Sounds awesome, I'm partial to a black vehicle LOL ...until the show my DD was F150-F350.. Love trucks!  Pics please?  :please:

My last F150 FX4 was a flame blue and black theme. I did the Heads and tails by replacing them with the black filled SVT raptor version... pure bolt-on change.

68_GT

I might be iinterested in a turbo upgrade eventually depending on the cost vs performance upgrade benefits, but I don't have the time to be the guinea pig.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

StrawHatShinobi

I'll get some taken and up soon, its negative something or other out today so wont be doing it today, lol. I haven't really taken many of it other than specific shots of part installs and what not people have requested.