• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

rear end lowered

Started by 92BlackGT, August 29, 2015, 03:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

92BlackGT

I decided to get rid of the stink bug stance by cutting the rear springs. I brought it down by close to an inch and it now matches the front.
I used this info on how to cut the springs.
https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/cutting-coil-springs/

I got started by measuring the ride height front and rear and got to removing the rear springs. It's crazy how easy it is to remove the springs

I measured the spring and determined around 1/3 of a coil needed to be removed and got to cutting.

Got the springs back in and all done within an hour. Took the car for a ride and noticed no appreciable difference in ride quality but the looks are much better.

some may think this is ghetto but it's a free way to get better looks and you get to keep the ride quality of stock.
'14 Taurus SHO - non PP, Unleashed E20 tune, 3 bar - 12.91 @ 106.5 mph
'93 Mustang Coupe - AFR 165's, FTI cam, ported Cobra intake - 13.05 @ 105.6 mph

AJP turbo

You completely changed the properties of the spring...I'm surprised people still do this
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on August 29, 2015, 08:40:38 AM
You completely changed the properties of the spring...I'm surprised people still do this
According to the posted article, it should stiffen the spring a tad which is probably a good thing.

It does look good, we have the right spring to cut, and the correct method was used to cut it.

Good info in the write up for those frustrated with our lack of suspension options.

Stuntz

With moderation cutting a spring is just fine. I cut half a coil off of my H&Rs and love it.

Good job 92BlackGT looks much better.
2013 SHO PP
Unleashed Tuned, Airaid, 3 bar, 170 t-stat, H&R Springs

ddlopes

How much of a drop did u get in the rear?
2013 SHO P/P mods: EcoPower Parts dual CAI, 3 bar, PPE catted down pipe, SCT X4, 170 degree thermostat, SNOW PERFORMANCE methanol stage 3 with ProMeth staineless steel braided lines, AeroForce gauges, Hot pipes, custom boost activated cutout xpipe, tial bov, Tial Wastegate mod, GH intercooler, MSD coils, AFE throttle spacer, UPR catch can, Rovos Durban wheels, AJP tuned to 389hp and 503trq on mustang dyno

92BlackGT

it was just under an inch drop.
make sure you mark your headlight cutoff before you lower the car to make it easy to readjust the headlights!

ddlopes

Ok... That seems like a better option than just running H&R springs in the rear only
2013 SHO P/P mods: EcoPower Parts dual CAI, 3 bar, PPE catted down pipe, SCT X4, 170 degree thermostat, SNOW PERFORMANCE methanol stage 3 with ProMeth staineless steel braided lines, AeroForce gauges, Hot pipes, custom boost activated cutout xpipe, tial bov, Tial Wastegate mod, GH intercooler, MSD coils, AFE throttle spacer, UPR catch can, Rovos Durban wheels, AJP tuned to 389hp and 503trq on mustang dyno

ZSHO

Definetly looks great on there 92BlackGT,guess with the limited potential of suspension components available,surely makes this a cheap alternative without compromise,  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Vortech347

Fantastic post.  I've only had my SHO for about 3 weeks and the downward dog position drives me nuts.

I'm taking a road trip this month and will see how it sits once fully loaded for a week trip with our kid.  If the ass doesn't drop down much I will surely be cutting some coil off.  I just don't want to do this mod then when we take road trips the ass is on the ground.

Does this cause any issues with droop/noise when going into driveways?  I'm assuming I would need to get an alignment after words to make sure everything is still within spec.  Is the spring loose in there at full droop?

Looks like all you did was remove the lower control arm where it meets the knuckle.  What torque was the bolt re-installed to?
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

92BlackGT

I just got back from a 1500 mile road trip. I had the trunk loaded with 4 cases of Yuengling and our luggage and the rear was a bit lower but it never bottomed out and the ride was as smooth as stock. I've never had any weird noises or bangs on speed bumps, driveways or uneven bridge/roadways on the interstate.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

92BlackGT

Quote from: SHOdded on September 08, 2015, 07:03:41 AM
Only 4 cases???

yea, this time. I still have some from my last bootleg of 8 cases

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: 92BlackGT on September 08, 2015, 06:59:24 AM
I just got back from a 1500 mile road trip. I had the trunk loaded with 4 cases of Yuengling and our luggage and the rear was a bit lower but it never bottomed out and the ride was as smooth as stock. I've never had any weird noises or bangs on speed bumps, driveways or uneven bridge/roadways on the interstate.
Have you ever had their ice cream?

Apparently they started making that to get them through prohibition and it is fantastic, just found it at Sams club

Yuengling black and tan ice cream FTW!

SHOdded

I see Greenbelt Co-op and Weis supermarkets near me carry the icecream.  I'll try it, if I don't like it, there'll be hell to pay!!!
http://www.yuenglingsicecream.com/ice-cream-near-me
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Salted caramel and chocolate.....how could that go wrong?