• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

installed new 160 tstat, now what should it read?

Started by sho89mtx, July 22, 2017, 06:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sho89mtx

i followed the post on here about the 160 tstat install and did what ZSHO said on there:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,2758.30.html

no air came out at the end and tightened it for the final time and gonna let it sit and drive tommorow, but I remember when I had the stock one, it was reading about 190 degrees and it's past that already. What should a 160 tstat read on the coolant temp gauge with a SCT device?
2010 SHO. Custom exhaust w/3rd cat removed, colder plugs, k&n, BOV Mod, Custom tune by Unleashed

SHOdded

It will not read any different really on a longer drive or in stopngo situations.  Short trips yes.  But the real benefit comes from a tune, because the PCM controls performance.  If the PCM does not know about the TStat, it cant take advantage.  A tune will alter fan behavior to take advantage and give you lower operating temps as you expect.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sho89mtx

I already put the unleashed tune from torrie for my 160 tstat and 3 bar sensor and the rest of my mods after installing both my 160 stat and 3 bar sensor
2010 SHO. Custom exhaust w/3rd cat removed, colder plugs, k&n, BOV Mod, Custom tune by Unleashed

AJP turbo

You should look into vacuum bleeding...I believe that's part of the normal procedure for thermostat replacement in the service manual for this engine....Sometimes that's the only way to bleed the system thoroughly on some cooling systems...Sometimes you can get lucky...But if it's in the ford service manual that's what I would do
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ZSHO

How much coolant did you loose?  Did you only swap the Stats or did you have the coolant flushed?
Its in rare circumstances that your system needs vacuum bleeding especially when minimal coolant loss is achieved.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

AJP turbo

If the thermostat housing is not the highest point of the cooling system and you open the cooling system then vacuum bleeding should 100% be considered.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

TopherSho

Mine averages about 205 if it let it just sit and sweat it self if my driveway.  This is a reduction from 220 where it would be before. 

i have a 170 t-stat.

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

sho89mtx

Quote from: TopherSho on July 23, 2017, 01:28:35 PM
Mine averages about 205 if it let it just sit and sweat it self if my driveway.  This is a reduction from 220 where it would be before. 

i have a 170 t-stat.
hmm, well i'm here in Oklahoma and of course the day I swapped and tested it was 103 degrees, so not the best day to test a tstat, but i got up to 205 on my temp after doing what everyone has said. Going to check the fluid right now in the morning after the car has sit and see where the coolant level is and measure the temps

ZSHO

Did you try to fully warm up the vehicle and then put it in Neutral or Park raise the engine speed. You're trying to get the coolant circulating as much as possible. Raise the engine speed by pressing the gas pedal just enough to get the RPM (2000 RPMs)for a few min with the Heater set to (High) while making sure the temp gauge doesn't exceed the half way mark.
Then try letting it cool down for 10 minutes and gently(slowly)open the reservoir cap to release any trapped air and re-tighten quickly. Z
(Due proceed with caution).

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

I would say the tstat is doing well.  Any cooling system is going to do best under highway cruise conditions.  There you probably could see consistent temps in the high 170s to mid 180s easily.  All depends on how Torrie's got the fan behavior set.  I would clarify with him.

Also track IAT and IAT2 temps coz heat soak can be a b**** especially in idling, wot, and extended driving conditions.  Get a feel for how your SHO is behaving.  Keep that intercooler clean.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sho89mtx

Quote from: ZSHO on July 23, 2017, 01:54:30 PM
Did you try to fully warm up the vehicle and then put it in Neutral or Park raise the engine speed. You're trying to get the coolant circulating as much as possible. Raise the engine speed by pressing the gas pedal just enough to get the RPM (2000 RPMs)for a few min with the Heater set to (High) while making sure the temp gauge doesn't exceed the half way mark.
Then try letting it cool down for 10 minutes and gently(slowly)open the reservoir cap to release any trapped air and re-tighten quickly. Z
(Due proceed with caution).
yes sir, I did all of your steps and I think it worked. Checked this morning, still right at the max coolant line before I started the engine this morning, so didn't lose any. I'm just wondering when monitoring the coolant temp, when should I start to worry? It hasn't gone over the half mark, but it did say like 205 once during the process. Just want to know what is a temp the gauge shouldn't get to even in 103 temps outside with the ac blowing  before I start to worry is probably a better topic for this post

ZSHO

The temp gauge should not exceed the half-way marker but should stay right in the middle especially at idle and should fluctuate when cruising at highway speeds.
I can only attest to my 13 SHO with the Reische-170-stat.
How many miles?  staying on TOP of your vehicles maintenance aspect such as "fresh fluids" is crucial for optimum performance especially when Tuned. Z
I think its time to enjoy the ride my friend.  :)

polskifacet

if your coasting downhill for example you should see it drop significantly. i have seen mine go from 190 to 158 this way
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

sho89mtx

Quote from: ZSHO on July 23, 2017, 06:35:42 PM
The temp gauge should not exceed the half-way marker but should stay right in the middle especially at idle and should fluctuate when cruising at highway speeds.
I can only attest to my 13 SHO with the Reische-170-stat.
How many miles?  staying on TOP of your vehicles maintenance aspect such as "fresh fluids" is crucial for optimum performance especially when Tuned. Z
I think its time to enjoy the ride my friend.  :)
OK, good point. I'll keep my eye on it and will do!

SHOdded

The temp gauge is still an "idiot" gauge on these cars.  It is not a precise indication of where the car is at any given point, especially once it is warmed up.  That is why it is helpful to keep track with Torque Pro, Forscan Lite, etc. or a tuning device.  Too bad you cannot get the gauge to display the actual temp as an option.