• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

SM105K's Ownership/Performance/Maintenance Thread

Started by SM105K, June 26, 2019, 03:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SM105K

Installed my new trans cooler over the weekend. I made it way harder than it should have been. Grr....However, trans temps dropped at a sustained 90 mph in 107 degree heat to 200 degrees. I am happy. Also it appears my trans was overfilled almost by 2.5 quarts.......I have a theory on this.

When my trans was replaced at 3k miles of break in I did the 5 out and 5 in. My trans dropped 7 quarts....I should have know. I put 7 back and and checked the level. At that point it was high, but not crazy.

Working on it this weekend I wanted see exactly where it was at. Ended up dropping 2.5 quarts before it was happy. Geez. So yeah.

I also in a hast to get to breakfast closed the hood on a quart of trans fluid that I had placed in the engine bay.......that caused a mess and a mini panic attack....I am an idiot.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Macgyver

Oh No. That quart must have made a mess. Glad nothing broke.

Where did you hook the cooler up to ?

SM105K

Quote from: Macgyver on June 22, 2020, 11:32:30 PM
Oh No. That quart must have made a mess. Glad nothing broke.

Where did you hook the cooler up to ?

It was interesting to say the least.  I just used my stock PP lines and used the AN fittings to adapt the smaller line for the trans cooler.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

802SHO

Clean install...well it was clean until you dumped a quart of trans fluid over all of it!  Lol!  This is coming from me, who pumped my brakes and forgot my driver side caliper wasn't attached and pushed the pistons out!  Lol! 

A good self chuckle is all you can do!  I took some extensions for a ride on my wiper cowl also.  Heard a clunk hard turn ...then found those extensions...sigh of relief.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

SM105K

Quote from: 802SHO on June 24, 2020, 07:11:27 AM
Clean install...well it was clean until you dumped a quart of trans fluid over all of it!  Lol!  This is coming from me, who pumped my brakes and forgot my driver side caliper wasn't attached and pushed the pistons out!  Lol! 

A good self chuckle is all you can do!  I took some extensions for a ride on my wiper cowl also.  Heard a clunk hard turn ...then found those extensions...sigh of relief.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Hahah it happens.  What can you do? 

SM105K

I have some data from my last road trip with the new trans cooler.

I drove from Phoenix to Costa Mesa.  Roughly 360 miles. 

Okay! Hottest the ambient temp got was 109. Fastest I got up to 105 mph. I averaged 88 through AZ, and roughly 83 through CA. Hottest the trans got was 199.23 degrees. I would say that is a win for the upgraded cooler.

SM105K

On my return trip I averaged 88 mph through CA and 95 mph through AZ. Through Coachella (big long hill sections) in 113 degree weather my trans got to roughly 205 degrees. Ambient air temps never got below 109 degrees from Palm Springs all the way to Phoenix. After getting through the hills, it leveled off at 201 degrees. I will take those numbers all day.

All in all, good upgrade and I am happy with the results.  I can't wait to see what the temps look like in cooler weather.

bpd1151

Quote from: SM105K on July 07, 2020, 11:44:31 AM113 degree weather my trans got to roughly 205 degrees. Ambient air temps never got below 109 degrees from Palm Springs all the way to Phoenix. After getting through the hills, it leveled off at 201 degrees. I will take those numbers all day.

All in all, good upgrade and I am happy with the results.  I can't wait to see what the temps look like in cooler weather.

Funny to read the above, as I was just watching the morning news, concerned about the mid to upper 90's forecast here in CHI-raq, coupled with excessive humidity (dew points in the mid to upper 70's) and I noticed that Phoenix is set to have a high temp of 110.

Holy hell that's blistering!

Glad to hear your new and recently upgraded trans cooler is keeping those hot AF temps easily at bay.

Keep staying chill!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SM105K

Quote from: bpd1151 on July 08, 2020, 07:59:38 AM

Quote from: SM105K on July 07, 2020, 11:44:31 AM113 degree weather my trans got to roughly 205 degrees. Ambient air temps never got below 109 degrees from Palm Springs all the way to Phoenix. After getting through the hills, it leveled off at 201 degrees. I will take those numbers all day.

Funny to read the above, as I was just watching the morning news, concerned about the mid to upper 90's forecast here in CHI-raq, coupled with excessive humidity (dew points in the mid to upper 70's) and I noticed that Phoenix is set to have a high temp of 110.

Holy hell that's blistering!

Glad to hear your new and recently upgraded trans cooler is keeping those hot AF temps easily at bay.

Keep staying chill!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

But it is a dry heat!  LOL. 110 is warm but not too bad.  116+ is just straight annoying. 

SM105K

Incoming Upgrade:

I have needed a HPFP for awhile now.  I have tried every way to justify spending the money for a XDi.  I have come close to purchasing one more times than I want to admit.  However, I couldn't pull the trigger. 

That being said.  I know I will catch some crap for my next statement.

I recently purchased a slightly used FS pump.  I weighed the pros and cons (they can attest to that) and for the price I couldn't pass on the opportunity presented to me. 

What I took into account:

Yearly mileage of my SHO: Less then 4k a year (if that).  I don't daily my SHO.
Mods:  I have all of the supporting mods (minus turbos).
Single Fuel Source: I should be able to run straight E54 out of the pump.  No more mixing, just testing.
Fuel Pressure:  I won't have to worry about FP drops anymore (my stock HPFP recovers well).  I still have boost issues, but this should basically allow me to pin the gates closed and let them eat. 

I have only seen one documented FS HPFP failure (not all facts have been presented yet) and one with XDI.  I know there are a couple of 11 second SHO's on the FS HPFP as well. 

I will be removing my stock HPFP and vacuum sealing it.  It will make its new home in the trunk with the exact tools needed to change it out.  When I go on long road trips I will swap back in the stock HPFP and change tunes.  When I get to my destination, the FS HPFP will go back and I will reflash the tune. Then the GAP band tour will begin.

I will modify the foam and engine cover as well.  If I cant see it, then it isn't there?  Correct? 

4sfed

Okay, sorry...I don't have my decoder ring; what or who is "FS"?
2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
Factory Five Mark III, 2004 Mach I donor (gone)
2003 Mustang Cobra 'vert, 456 rwhp, with mods (gone)
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)
1997 Cobra 'vert, Vortech'd (gone)

SM105K

Quote from: 4sfed on July 10, 2020, 12:46:32 PM
Okay, sorry...I don't have my decoder ring; what or who is "FS"?

It is the Firestorm HPFP from LMS. I just don't want to type LMS.

4sfed

Quote from: SM105K on July 10, 2020, 12:58:10 PM

LOL  OH!  Sorry....we can strike my question from the record. :)
2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
Factory Five Mark III, 2004 Mach I donor (gone)
2003 Mustang Cobra 'vert, 456 rwhp, with mods (gone)
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)
1997 Cobra 'vert, Vortech'd (gone)

SM105K

Quote from: 4sfed on July 10, 2020, 01:09:09 PM
Quote from: SM105K on July 10, 2020, 12:58:10 PM

LOL  OH!  Sorry....we can strike my question from the record. :)

Its all good buddy.

SM105K

I ventured into Intercooler cooling lol.  Bought this off Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Front-Windsh...sher+nozzle+3w7z17603aa&qid=1600441530&sr=8-4I disconnected the washer line at the junction near the shock tower. I ran the new line in the same path as my UPR CC line. Routed it to the front and used the motor to drain all of the wind shield washer fluid out of it. This is where I ran into my first issue. When you depress the fluid button the damn windshield wipers start moving. That is no good. So I pulled the relay for the wipers hoping it wouldn't kill the pump too....it did. Damn it.

So I made the executive decision. Who needs wipers if you just keep going fast? Haha! Wiper removal was easy. Take off the 15 mm nut holding them them on. I used PB blaster first so it helped getting the wipers off the splined mounting rod. I threw the wipers in the trunk and I have a small tool kit in there as well in case I have to throw them on quickly. I rarely drive my SHO in crappy weather so I am not worried.

I mounted the fan pattern sprayers onto my trans cooler mounts. They spray directly down between the condenser and the IC. Both of them almost spray the whole intercooler. When deployed the water gets pulled into the IC and then has to pass through the radiator before getting to the fans. I had my GF hold the button and I watched and made adjustments. Hardly any water except a very fine mist made it past the fans.

I loaded the windshield washer with a bunch of ice water and proceeded to do some basic testing. It was 93 degrees ambient and I got the car good and heat soaked. First pull IAT's started at 145 and dropped to 132 without using the sprayer. Next pass I pre-sprayed and soaked the IC with ice water at a stand still. Then I lauched. I wanted to see if any water would effect any aspect of the launch. IAT's started at 145 but quickly dropped to 118. So the ice water netted me a drop in 14 degrees. For reference on a stock tune every 10 degrees over 100 degrees the computer pulls 1 degree of timing. So I feel this could be a quick mod for the stock IC guys wanting a bit more cooling.

I will still need to datalog the runs. I left my computer at home. I will check to see the difference in temp after IC and temp at the top map sensor with and with out spraying the IC. I know we get hot in the intake because of the coolant pipe and engine. So I may have to yank the intake and heat wrap that pipe. I since the intake will be off, I might as well inspect the valves and walnut blast them it I have too.14 dollars for 14 degrees? Worth it in my book.I still have that CO2 chiller bar to install as well. Hopefully I can water log the IC and use the CO2 to freeze the cooler.