• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Updated PTU Vent Installed - 2011 SHO

Started by lattyd, October 10, 2016, 10:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lattyd

Hey All,

Like many owners of Ford AWD vehicles I began to experience the PTU vent "puking". I changed the fluid a few times prior to getting the part to make sure the old sludge was removed and to keep it topped off.

I ordered and installed the updated Vent Assembly, PN: AG1Z-7034-A. I ordered it online for around $58 shipped and installed it in about 2 hours (including frequent breaks to check on the baby). I was not able to locate any pictures on line or uploads of the install instructions included so I am posting them here. See attachments as well for pages included with the part.

I was able to successfully install the updated vent without removing the PTU from the vehicle. I put the car up on 4 jack stands and with a little luck was eventually able to pry the old vent out with a flat-head screwdriver. A short handled one is a must as there are some wiring harnesses in the way with longer ones.

Once the old vent was out, I installed the new vent in the same hole (after blindly cleaning the area the best I could). The new vent hose adapter would not go in all the way without some force - so I rigged up a few long extensions and a socket on the end and was able to tap it in fully using a rubber mallet on the end of the extensions.

Routing the hose / new vent was easy and new unit zip-tied next to the brake fluid tank.

Below are a few pictures of the parts included with the kit - and of the old vent once removed.

So far so good - I have not noticed any more fluid on the ground in my garage. No performance change noticed but my car was behaving normally even when it was spewing out the vent.

I'll try and post back with updates in a week or two.

Current: 2011 Ford Taurus SHO - Performance Pack - KNN Drop-In Filter / H&R Springs / VOXX Matt Black Wheels / Black Trim / NEW: Unleashed Tune - 3 Bar MAP - 170* T-Stat
Previous: 2012 Chevy Sonic - 1.4T - Trifecta Tuned - ZZP Catback - Injen Custom Intake
Previous: 2007 Grand Prix GXP - Trifecta Tuned - Flowmaster American Thunder 40's - KNN Air Intake

glock-coma

Thank you for posting this info. I noticed you posted this on ebof a few days ago but I couldn't view it because my login info was no longer valid.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

Colorado-SHOBro

Am i correct in assuming all this Vent does is prevent the PTU fluid from puking on the case and instead accumulates it into the tube?
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

SHOdded

Nice to have the alternative, and to see it successfully done :thumb:
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

lattyd

Quote from: glock-coma on October 10, 2016, 10:11:07 PM
Thank you for posting this info. I noticed you posted this on ebof a few days ago but I couldn't view it because my login info was no longer valid.

No problem. I saw that EBOF was kinda dead so I wanted to re-post it somewhere with more traffic haha

Quote from: 8nutz8 on October 10, 2016, 10:15:14 PM
Am i correct in assuming all this Vent does is prevent the PTU fluid from puking on the case and instead accumulates it into the tube?

I assume that in the event that fluid would normally exit out the vent, it instead has about 1.5 feet of hose to travel instead. I have not noticed any fluid come out of the new vent however. I plan to continue to flush the PTU at least two more times prior to winter as well.

Quote from: SHOdded on October 10, 2016, 10:18:43 PM
Nice to have the alternative, and to see it successfully done :thumb:

For sure - I am an amateur DIY person so I was not comfortable removing the PTU to replace it / or the vent. I also can not currently afford a new PTU installed by a shop / dealer. Hopefully this allows the PTU to last a while longer :)
Current: 2011 Ford Taurus SHO - Performance Pack - KNN Drop-In Filter / H&R Springs / VOXX Matt Black Wheels / Black Trim / NEW: Unleashed Tune - 3 Bar MAP - 170* T-Stat
Previous: 2012 Chevy Sonic - 1.4T - Trifecta Tuned - ZZP Catback - Injen Custom Intake
Previous: 2007 Grand Prix GXP - Trifecta Tuned - Flowmaster American Thunder 40's - KNN Air Intake

SHOdded

Please do make an intro thread for yourself here:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/board,14.0.html

I see this is not your first hi powered/turbocharged ride, definitely post pics of 'em in your intro thread!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

lattyd

Will do as soon as I find my pictures haha

Also an update: So far so good, no PTU fluid has leaked from the extended vent and no new fluid on the top of the case. Car drives, repsonds, and shifts like it did when I bought it.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Time for another update lattyd :)  Have you done any more fluid changes, any leaks, etc?  TIA!

pmezo33

Might have to make a little project of this.  Mine isn't leaking, but it seems to be worth the $50 for added security.  Anyone know if this part applies to all of the PTU's?

MiWiAu

I'm paranoid, so on my XSport, when I extended my vent hose, I also added a hose clamp where it attaches to the PTU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

lattyd

Quote from: SHOdded on January 06, 2017, 06:06:18 AM
Time for another update lattyd :)  Have you done any more fluid changes, any leaks, etc?  TIA!

Sorry for the lack of updates guys, had a huge project at work between late October and February. I'm happy to report that I've had no leaks or issues. Unfortunately due to the project I have been unable to swap the fluid again since the install of it.

I've put between 2500 and 3000 miles on the car since the install.... I live about a half mile from my office :p

Quote from: MiWiAu on January 06, 2017, 02:08:56 PM
I'm paranoid, so on my XSport, when I extended my vent hose, I also added a hose clamp where it attaches to the PTU.

That is a good idea. Since mine has been stable for a while now I may do that as well.

Quote from: pmezo33 on January 06, 2017, 11:07:33 AM
Might have to make a little project of this.  Mine isn't leaking, but it seems to be worth the $50 for added security.  Anyone know if this part applies to all of the PTU's?

Not sure if the 2013+ PTU's had a different vent assembly or not. For some reason I remember reading that the new ones had the updated vent from the factory... but that may be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irondoor19

Since we have the PTU Out of the 2011 Car, and
installing a 1/8" Magnetic Drain Plug, And Also a New vent assembly
(that we are Going to Fab Up from Scratch, Along with Top Relocation
(Ease of Re-Filling). Will up date the Cost & Install when it finished

I was having Brain Fade, 1/4" Drain Plug With magnet: Got it on Ebay 11.53 Delivered
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

SHOdded

Pending results from jimmyducati, I believe you will be the first to install a drain plug in a SHO PTU.  Good luck :)

polskifacet

Quote from: SHOdded on May 11, 2017, 05:25:14 PM
Pending results from jimmyducati, I believe you will be the first to install a drain plug in a SHO PTU.  Good luck :)
What do you mean?
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

SHOdded

I was responding  to irondoor19s comment a little further uo.