• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU fluid change on 13+ PP

Started by 91hybrid, July 02, 2015, 10:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOme

Thanks Z 27000 miles so I need to get it done

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2014 SHO, PP 3 bar, 160 T Stat, Livernois v10 Tune, UPR catch can. MDesign CAI

SAYGBYE

nice write up. my sho has 45k on it so its in dire need of a change.

SHOme

I got my PTU oil changed.  It looks like it was thickening.  The shop said they filled it then ran it and then drained it again.  Second drain was better looking.  He gave me the oil from both drains.  He also drained and filled the tranny 3 times running the car in-between.  I'm now at 29k.  I will agree that 25-30k miles is on the money for a change.  I used Amsoil severe gear.  A little background on me is this is my second SHO.  The other was a 2010.  It smoked a PTU around 80k and the torque converter began to fail at 105k.  I am going to take better care of the drive train on this one.

SHOdded

:thumb:  Did you grab some pics of the fluids they changed out?  What's in the trans now?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOme

I have the fluid at the house in zip lock bags.  The fluid from the first drain was sticking to the bag.  The second(flush) was dirty but did not stick to the bag as bad. The third was good. I can post the first and third samples when I get a chance.  He used Fomoco trans fluid.  He showed me a sample of the trans fluid after first drain.  very dark but no burnt smell.

SHOme

Also the mechanic that did my service said he filled the PTU from the vent.  He did not remove the DP.  He said he put 18 oz in it.  I believe this to be the correct amount.  Does this sound right?  If it is over filled it would just puke out the vent right?  If it puked out the vent I am sure I would smell it correct?  Reassurance needed here.

SHOdded

Well, since your SHO has the perf pkg, not sure why he needed to use the vent to fill at all.  For flushing, I could see a use.  Per Windstang's recent posts, seems like it should have a oneway valve?  So TBH I don't know.  Does your SHO already have the vent extension up near the brake fluid reservoir?  Not sure if he knew that's not a fill hole.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOme

I gave him the procedure when I dropped it.  There must not be a valve. He did it 3 times.

SHOme

It does sound easier to fill it through the drain tube though especially for guys that don't have a lift.

SHOme

Vent tube

68_GT

where is the PTU vent tube ?

is it OK to fill there ?

when changing the PTU fluid is it possible to over fill it and cause a problem ?
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

SHOme

Im sure someone here knows and it would be great to see a picture.  I did not ask my mechanic but I can stop by and get him to show me.  It is supposed to hold 18 oz.  That is what he put back in it after flushing 3 times.  I have driven almost 1000 miles since with no issues.

ZSHO

This is directly from Ford...WSM,hope it help's any and let me know if anyone wants me to Sticky it...  Z     https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8JUL90DXgdiMDRVVDhUUE9DRlN5TlAxWW5FX1picnE5SlNj/view?usp=sharing

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Hmmm ... let me give it some thought Z ...   maybe a separate section for FSM excerpts is in order, linking back to howtos as applicable.

SHOme

Does this answer any of my or 68gt questions?