• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MRT blues

Started by FoMoCoSHO, May 23, 2020, 07:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoMoCoSHO

So I put the MRTs on the MKS....I love how they look but the drone is unacceptable.

I hate is so much if I don't find a solution I'm gonna spend $1200 on an OEM SHO assembly.

First step is taking it to my exhaust guy and see if he has any ideas but I wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations.

I've seen some resonators I might be able to fit, I'm just unsure if they will fix the issue or create a different one.

StinkinLinkin13

The rest of the exhaust stock?
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

76fomoco

2013 PP AJP E30 160 TS, sp542 plugs, 3 bar, PPE catted DP's, GH IC, GH turbos, XDI-35, EPP hot and intake
Best 3-29-21  11.85 with 3000 DA
DA trap best 117.96
E30 = 492 whp, 536 wtq
E30+meth 498 whp, 539 wtq

FoMoCoSHO

StealBlueSho

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on May 23, 2020, 07:40:38 PM
So I put the MRTs on the MKS....I love how they look but the drone is unacceptable.

I hate is so much if I don't find a solution I'm gonna spend $1200 on an OEM SHO assembly.

First step is taking it to my exhaust guy and see if he has any ideas but I wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations.

I've seen some resonators I might be able to fit, I'm just unsure if they will fix the issue or create a different one.

Interesting... you are the first to complain about drone with the MRT AFAIK? Thats an expensive muffler setup to have a drone issue?  Is it possible to add the "U" extensions before the mufflers under the car to cut the drone?

StinkinLinkin13

Man... It honestly doesn't really get that bad until you go catless downpipes imo. Trust me. I've been trying different setups... They pretty much all lead to disappointment... 😂 I'm currently trying a FOUR muffler setup... So far it's the best sounding setup yet. Eliminated rasp... Looking for a good sound is stretch so far... Peace and quiet vs performance it seems.... Magnaflows catback seems to get kudos for being a less offensive option.
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: StealBlueSHO on May 23, 2020, 08:53:27 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on May 23, 2020, 07:40:38 PM

Interesting... you are the first to complain about drone with the MRT AFAIK? Thats an expensive muffler setup to have a drone issue?  Is it possible to add the "U" extensions before the mufflers under the car to cut the drone?
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=9807.0

Well, a couple thoughts...I specifically questioned drone and seller indicated exterior noise which is also very true. That doesn't bother me but the drone from 1900-2400 is garbage. Pretty sure these were designed for GenV SHO which IMHO have much better insulation/fit/finish so maybe that is the issue. Plus MKS, not SHO. It could just be me being "extra sensitive" to certain things now. I'm not bashing the MRT, I just need to figure out a solution so I can drive the car again. 

I will inquire about "U" extensions.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on May 23, 2020, 09:49:28 PM
Man... It honestly doesn't really get that bad until you go catless downpipes imo. Trust me. I've been trying different setups... They pretty much all lead to disappointment... 😂 I'm currently trying a FOUR muffler setup... So far it's the best sounding setup yet. Eliminated rasp... Looking for a good sound is stretch so far... Peace and quiet vs performance it seems.... Magnaflows catback seems to get kudos for being a less offensive option.
Perhaps its not "that bad" to folks that haven't had brain injuries. In my situation it is unacceptable to the point I don't drive the car anymore.

I had suspected everything you alluded to regarding exhaust options was true but the MRT seemed like a reasonably safe option.

This will be my last experiment with non OEM exhausts, lol

ridered74

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on May 23, 2020, 11:37:34 PM
Perhaps its not "that bad" to folks that haven't had brain injuries. In my situation it is unacceptable to the point I don't drive the car anymore.

I had suspected everything you alluded to regarding exhaust options was true but the MRT seemed like a reasonably safe option.

If you get to the point of wanting to go OEM, I have my entire OEM exhaust from my SHO I would part with for a whole lot less than 1200. It is cut so it would fit in my trunk, but I'm sure it could be welded back together. I'm not too far north of you.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ridered74 on May 24, 2020, 01:37:40 AM

If you get to the point of wanting to go OEM, I have my entire OEM exhaust from my SHO I would part with for a whole lot less than 1200. It is cut so it would fit in my trunk, but I'm sure it could be welded back together. I'm not too far north of you.
How many miles on it?

My MKS mufflers were looking pretty bad which helped me justify my terrible idea to myself...

SM105K

Throw a large Magnaflow resonator on it. Your ears and head will thank you.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

StealBlueSho

Sorry FoMoCoSHO... they are technically called J-Pipes... here is a picture..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Yup helmholtz resonator.  Tune to the specific frequency to be eliminated.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ridered74

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on May 24, 2020, 01:45:01 AM
Quote from: ridered74 on May 24, 2020, 01:37:40 AM

How many miles on it?

My MKS mufflers were looking pretty bad which helped me justify my terrible idea to myself...

Car had about 32K on it when I bought it, I did the exahaust within a month of getting car so maybe a thousand or so miles more. I can take some pictures today if you are interested. I have both cars' skid plates piled over the exhaust but would only take a minute or two to pull out and take some pics.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

FearlessAZ

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on May 23, 2020, 11:16:36 PM

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=9807.0

Well, a couple thoughts...I specifically questioned drone and seller indicated exterior noise which is also very true. That doesn't bother me but the drone from 1900-2400 is garbage. Pretty sure these were designed for GenV SHO which IMHO have much better insulation/fit/finish so maybe that is the issue. Plus MKS, not SHO. It could just be me being "extra sensitive" to certain things now. I'm not bashing the MRT, I just need to figure out a solution so I can drive the car again. 

I will inquire about "U" extensions.

I remember you and I talking about that MRT a while back and the noise difference of the SHO and MKS. I am curious what the insulation or noise deadening difference is between the models or even the difference in generations. You would think the difference in models would be the same or even the MKS being a little more quiet.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)