• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

EBC yellow stuff with break in coating

Started by bigmoneycloser, May 20, 2014, 07:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmoneycloser

Ok guys.
I got a set of EBC yellow stuff bads to replace the pads that came on my wilwood big rake kit.
My hope is to reduce the heavy brake dust build up on my wheels with these.
Only time will tell.

The pads come with a "brake in coating"
With this coating, do you still have to do any heat cycling or anything?
Just checking on any experience with these pads and the coating.

Thanks
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

donky4444

They should come with break in instructions, if not you can find it online. The coating is there to help seat the pads to the rotors properly. It's well worth it to follow them.
2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0tt with LMS tune

2014 SHO 402a PP 20" flower wheels. LME  tune, 3 bar MAP, LED Puddle Lights and LED DRL's from Drive Bright, tinted head and tail lights, gloss black vinyl wrapped all chrome with custom chrome SHO emblems front and rear. SOLD

2015 X Sport LME 3 bar tune, LED Puddle and plate lights

glock-coma

Found this online

9. Bedding in EBC pads 
In Street use situations ...
Bedding in when the red EBC surface coating (marked on the pads as Brake In) is applied.
Best procedure is to drive gently avoiding harsh braking unless in an emergency for first 100 miles. In the second 100 miles (up to 200) you can use gently increasing brake pressures when using the brakes.
Only after 200 miles urban driving (not 200 miles on a freeway where brakes are almost unused) should you attempt to apply heavy load and heat to the brakes. To do this final bedding on a QUIET ROAD in safe traffic apply the brakes and slow from 60 to 10 MPH five times in a row. Then drive slowly for a few minutes if safe to do so to allow the brakes to cool. Try to avoid coming to a rest whilst the brakes are heated.
A smell may be noticed from the warm brakes, this is normal. Repeat this procedure a second time after the brakes have TOTALLY cooled down. EBC pads get better with miles. Even after this bed in procedure it can take up to 1500 miles before the pads are at their best. In the meantime the pads will be good and safe but true potential not realised. EBC makes performance pads that last, they do not bed in within 5 minutes driving. Noises will be more likely during the first 1000-1500 miles use whilst this chemical bedding takes place.

NEVER attempt to sand or scotchbrite brake pads to assist it bedding in or noise reduction,this will only make things worse by taking the pads "Off-Flat" and require hundreds of miles driving to seat them again during which time the brakes will feel very dull. The only way to seat pads is against the rotor they will be used on and by following our bedding recommendation.

2010 RCM non PP
K&N panel filter
sp534 @ 30
unleashed 93 performance+boost
more to come.....

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

bigmoneycloser

Perfect
Thx
I saw this online but wasn't sure if it applied to the the pads with the break in coating.
Thx
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

SwampRat

Quote from: bigmoneycloser on May 20, 2014, 08:06:08 PM
Perfect
Thx
I saw this online but wasn't sure if it applied to the the pads with the break in coating.
Thx

Keep us updated once you have bedded them in .
I'll be watching as to any change in performance and the dusting issue as well .
I'll be reusing my front and rear kit on the Edge I'm getting .
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

bigmoneycloser

2014 Explorer Sport 401A

Roadkill

Any follow-up on this topic?  I have had 2 GT Mustangs and 2 SHOs and never had the amount of brake dust that my '13 w/PP generates with factory rotors and pads. I can wash the wheels and within about 50 miles of regular city/hwy driving they are coated in a dull layer of brake dust again.  Really looking for a compromise between performance and reduced dust so I am interested in opinions on aftermarket pads such as these EBC yellow pads. Thanks for any info.
2013 SHO Ruby Red w/PP - AirRaid MXP CAI, H&R 51626 Sport Springs, Cilajet Interior and Exterior Sealant, LLumar CTX film all around, BOV VTA conversion, Custom powder-coated brake calipers with "SHO" on fronts, RxPerformance Air-Oil Separator System. Still waiting on on struts to match sport springs to be manufactured by someone.

ZSHO

Did you ever try Anything Auto,very reputable co,that offers the EBC,pads http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3072A0A0.aspx also there is a promo code for an exra discount,honestly not to familiar with the yellow,but lots of members here had good sucess with the EBC RED,good luck.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|