• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

I have a Serious Problem, I blame you all!

Started by bigmoneycloser, October 29, 2013, 07:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmoneycloser

Ok,
Well, I have decided to sell my 24"x9.5 wheels.
If I can find a buyer(shouldn't be difficult)
The plan is to find a really nice set of 22x9 or 22x9.5 that will allow a 14 or 16 inch break kit.
Gotta speak with Todd and confirm what set up will fit on my truck and then buy a wheel to fit the brakes....
It's a hassle, the big brake kit will look good and should be a big performance upgrade..

Let's hope for a quick local sale...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

EcoBrick Bob

2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

Josephm

Not quite sure why a 24' wheel would not be able to fit a 16' rotor, but a 22' would....Maybe you know much more than i do?
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

bigmoneycloser

I was never big into cars/trucks..... But being on this site... No all I think about is mod'n my truck and what is next...
Soon this will be almost as bad as my motorcycle issues...lol
Good thing, the money tree is still rockin....lol
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

bigmoneycloser

The 24" wheel has a deep lip so the spokes on the wheel bend into it, which causes clearance issues and won't allow a larger than stock rotor/caliper...
And if I'm gonna change the wheels, having a larger side wall with a 22" is more ideal for the type of mods I am doing...
2014 Explorer Sport 401A

steve142857

Quote from: EcoBrick Bob on October 29, 2013, 08:23:35 PM
Why??
Don't get me wrong, I love your ride (I actually voted for it). Many of us here have the mod bug, me the first (well BDP first ok, ok lol).
I was just wondering why you wanted to spend about what 6K$ on brakes alone. They look nice for sure, but isn't it expensive for just the look? I would understand if someone would bring his car to the track, but that won't be your case... So I was just wondering why.
I always found that mod very expensive and can't justify it for me, so I would appreciate what motivates you. Even if you have the money, there are a lot of things that can be done before that (in life or on the truck)...
That is a friendly question and by no mean a judgement... The heck, have I not spent a lot on my 2010 and I am doing the same on this new one too and I could be doing so mNy other things with that monaey, but you're right, this forum is a bad/good influence ;)
2010 blue wrapped SHO 12.09 at 117.9mph - SOLD
2013 SHO PP 12.08 at 113.83mph...
Alky control, LMS tuned, custom exhaust, LMS catted downpipes, H&R springs, Tstat170, 3bar map, Airaid

steve142857

... and while at it: 22-24" rims and tires must be another 3-6K$?
So that's about 10k$ just for wheels and brakes for a truck that won't be going racing on a circuit...
But it surely looks good! Lol cool!
2010 blue wrapped SHO 12.09 at 117.9mph - SOLD
2013 SHO PP 12.08 at 113.83mph...
Alky control, LMS tuned, custom exhaust, LMS catted downpipes, H&R springs, Tstat170, 3bar map, Airaid

EcoBrick Bob

I would start with better pads.  Softer pads create dust but will definitely help stopping, like the Stop Tech pads I have on the front.  Much cheaper alternative.  Many times better brake systems only help when you are repeatedly braking, like in autocross. For instance... The Pontiac G8 GXP came with Brembo fronts and their initial stopping distance was slightly longer from 60.  But after a couple panic stops they were far better at eliminating fade.  I have never experienced any brake fade at the strip with my Flex, and at times have made as many as 10 runs in an hour when it wasn't busy.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011

Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

Lanson

It could also be the size of the wheel causing braking issues.

Depends on how heavy they actually are of course. 

But a bit more weight around the barrel creates significant inertia differences that the brakes must overcome, so it will seem like they are less efficient and indeed they are.  I think it isn't necessarily the weight of the wheel, but may be the weight of the barrel of the wheel itself.

I felt this when I went from my 18's to my 20" Foose setup on my 2010, but felt it much LESS when I went from 18's to forged 3 piece wheels on my 2013.  I think it is because the forged barrel is much lighter than a cast wheel barrel, even though the 22's weigh more overall.  This is just a theory though.

You could go 24's but consider a forged barrel option, to get the best of both worlds.  OR go 22 and do the same, maybe. 
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

bigmoneycloser

I take no offense to anyone's question.  The simple answer is this.... I love the look and I have the money. Im very fortunate and it's not an either or thing...I just like to enjoy my money while I am alive... As long as my bills are paid, kids college funds paid into, and plenty of money going into savings.... I say enjoy some of that money too...
Thx
2014 Explorer Sport 401A

DJE624

EcoBrick Bob

I have a "GEEZER FUND" that could use some extra cash... I never have enough money!!!! LOL! 

bigmoneycloser

Sorry guys, I have a wife and three girls.... I can't afford anymore dependents...lol
I did have the 6K HID's for the head and fog lights done today along with all interior replaced with LED's..
Looks really nice...
2014 Explorer Sport 401A

TouchOfEvil

Can't take it with ya, enjoy the ride bro!!!
2014 XSport

SHOdded

Lighting upgrades are a neat way to customize the look of your vehicle :)  Any pics?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!