• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

120MPH Speed Limit with LMS Tune?

Started by QuickSilver, December 16, 2013, 02:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuickSilver

So I was impressed  a couple weeks ago with how quickly my 2014 ExSport gets to 120MPH, then a bit discouraged to learn that it wont go any faster than that... Figured once I load the LMS tune it would be resolved. Nope, loaded the LMS 91 octane tow tune today and it still hits the wall @ 120 :(
AJ

2014 Ingot Silver Explorer Sport- LMS V3 Tune, AirRaid CAI, Hi_flow Catted DP's to Complete dual 2.5" exhaust, 19"X 9.5"TSW Panorama Rotary Forged/powdercoated Rims, Cree LED Foglights, Hoping for those Megan coilovers to be developed...

bpd1151

That's weird.

I would reach out to them and ask if the speed limiter was removed, cuz it sounds like it may not have been.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Probably to make sure you don't outrun your brakes, tires and suspension!  I am sure a tuner can remove it, has been done on older MY's.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TSS

I believe it is removed with the MKS/SHO - maybe different for the Explorer.   
2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

2017 Summit White Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2017 Silver Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum  3.6 Twin Turbo; LME tuned.

MeanKS

yea, I've taken my MKS to 145 (was smooth as butter BTW).

i think its electronically limited to 155mph from the factory...
MKS-EB...

Night Hawk

2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93

donky4444

My SHO used to be limited to 133 since my tune I have gone faster.
2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0tt with LMS tune

2014 SHO 402a PP 20" flower wheels. LME  tune, 3 bar MAP, LED Puddle Lights and LED DRL's from Drive Bright, tinted head and tail lights, gloss black vinyl wrapped all chrome with custom chrome SHO emblems front and rear. SOLD

2015 X Sport LME 3 bar tune, LED Puddle and plate lights

QuickSilver

Just to be clear, this is def the govenor/limiter, it spanks right to 120 then holds, it's not drag limited like any proper top speed should be :-  I didn't specifically ask Anthony if the govenor would be defeated with the tune, I suppose I just assumed it would be...
AJ

2014 Ingot Silver Explorer Sport- LMS V3 Tune, AirRaid CAI, Hi_flow Catted DP's to Complete dual 2.5" exhaust, 19"X 9.5"TSW Panorama Rotary Forged/powdercoated Rims, Cree LED Foglights, Hoping for those Megan coilovers to be developed...

DJE624

I don't know why it would be limited unless the speed rating is lower on XSport tires.

BiGMaC

I understood that a tune... at least the Livernois tunes disable the speed limiter.  Am I laboring under a misconception?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

DJE624

You may have to take it out on a deserted desert road and find out Tom!

BiGMaC

.. Won't have to far for that!  :drive: Most folks are making 50-60 between stoplights out here, :burnout: literally

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

QuickSilver

So I had an appointment @ GMG Motorsports in Costa Mesa today for some dyno time and baseline runs. The guy running the dyno took off the TCS and used M mode for 4th gear pulls He said it was doing an indicated 135MPH at the top of 4th.  So was it the M mode or turning off the TCS that got around the limiter? :unsure:  Not too many deserted roads in SoCal to test one way or the other. There is the road I used for the first top speed test between Vegas and Parumph on the way to Spring Mountain Raceway. It's loooong and strait for miles 8)
AJ

SoCalSHO

O/T, but what kind of dyno do they use at GMG. What was the pricing? Thanks.
Robert
2010 Met White
GH tuned, 3 Bar, upgraded turbos, 91 Oct
K&N drop-in or airaid, Corsa Cat-back
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

QuickSilver

Quote from: SoCalSHO on December 17, 2013, 10:33:04 PM
O/T, but what kind of dyno do they use at GMG. What was the pricing? Thanks.

Mustang Dyno, $175/hr for 4-5 pulls with AFR, tuning is more but I didn't ask about that yet.  See separate thread with scan of graph... I'd link it but gotta help finish 7th grade daughter's homework. Man, this stuff is hard :icon_redface:
AJ