• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How-To" PTU Fluid Exchange - glock-coma

Started by SHOdded, December 21, 2013, 12:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dappie99

Thanks for the write-up on this. Bookmarking this for next month. I need to flush prior to road trip up north.

glock-coma

I forgot all about this lol. It's almost due again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

metroplex

Has anyone sent in samples for a UOA at Blackstone to check on the condition of the oil at say, 20k-30k miles? I've changed out rear differentials where the oil came out pitch black with lots of metal wear, but that was considered normal due to the nature of the environment so we can't really go by the Mk 1 eyeball...

Serious question: Even if we are running more power than stock, how would that put more stress on the PTU unless you are somehow WOT while turning (like on a road racing course or SCCA)? It looks basically like a mini open differential... But the Mitsubishi Evo guys have a similar situation with their PTU and they run either Mitsubishi oil or 75W-90 (their specs are a bit different), and they seem to agree with the shorter change intervals as well.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

AJP turbo

I think you should attempt to prove how good the ford factory fill is....its a lifetime fluid in the ptu no need to change....just like non synthetic is fine with a fram filter as is 87 octane....it would help the community if you could debunk the myth that a ptu oil change is required
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

metroplex

Well, it seems to be a mystery because the internet claims the PTUs are failing left and right. I've read it more than once the Police Interceptor Sedan/Utility are going through PTUs very frequently even with their PTU coolers. Talking to Ford (not dealerships but people at Ford) this seems to be news to them. The UOAs should tell us whether the oil has thinned/thickened, how much metal wear there is, etc... at least give us an idea whether it is the low fluid capacity, overheating, or something else.

To me, driveline stuff is different, I typically use Red Line synthetics out of habit. A lot of the VOAs/UOAs showed Mobil 1, Royal Purple, and a few other synthetics tend to be on the thin side - and its something that's not changed as often as engine oil so I don't mind paying more. Whereas the UOAs for synthetic engine oils weren't that different from non-synthetic on the same type of engine at the same change intervals due to fuel dilution and thinner viscosity regardless of whether it was the least expensive oil or boutique engine oil.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

ZSHO

PTU=75W-140      RDU=80W-90                   

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

glock-coma

Quote from: ZSHO on September 03, 2016, 04:33:43 PM
PTU=75W-140      RDU=80W-90                 
I'll add to this

PTU fluid -18oz 75/140

RDU fluid-2.4 pints 75/90

glock-coma

Did they change the spec in the 2013+ ?
I swear the 2010-12 were 75w-90 for the RDU

ZSHO

Quote from: glock-coma on September 03, 2016, 04:45:09 PM
Did they change the spec in the 2013+ ?
I swear the 2010-12 were 75w-90 for the RDU
Yup...roughly same time they changed the motor oil specs from 5w-20 to 5w-30.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

AnotherGreenFusion

Thanks for these, this helped me get started on my own fluid changes, its actually a bit easier on the smaller setup.

Oil was already burnt looking at 20k in the PTU.
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
CP-E Cold Side, Hot Side, αIntake, QKspl DP & RMM | Boomba Can | Cordova TB | Synapse Gen III BOV | Levels FMIC | 160* T-Stat | Steeda STB, Sway | Flatout 5700 | SCT by Unleashed/LMS 93v11

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

SHOdded

75W90 is the actual fluid spec available, the OM has always called for 80W90.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Quote from: AnotherGreenFusion on September 03, 2016, 05:05:43 PM
Thanks for these, this helped me get started on my own fluid changes, its actually a bit easier on the smaller setup.

Oil was already burnt looking at 20k in the PTU.
I would not worry about the color aspect but would focus more on any sludge,gunk buildup especially around the drain plug,BTW nothing better than having the reassurance factor that it was changed.  Z

ZSHO

Quote from: metroplex on September 03, 2016, 04:29:58 PM
Well, it seems to be a mystery because the internet claims the PTUs are failing left and right. I've read it more than once the Police Interceptor Sedan/Utility are going through PTUs very frequently even with their PTU coolers. Talking to Ford (not dealerships but people at Ford) this seems to be news to them. The UOAs should tell us whether the oil has thinned/thickened, how much metal wear there is, etc... at least give us an idea whether it is the low fluid capacity, overheating, or something else.

To me, driveline stuff is different, I typically use Red Line synthetics out of habit. A lot of the VOAs/UOAs showed Mobil 1, Royal Purple, and a few other synthetics tend to be on the thin side - and its something that's not changed as often as engine oil so I don't mind paying more. Whereas the UOAs for synthetic engine oils weren't that different from non-synthetic on the same type of engine at the same change intervals due to fuel dilution and thinner viscosity regardless of whether it was the least expensive oil or boutique engine oil.
Here is a How to remove and Install [Transfer case] PTU.  Z   https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8JUL90DXgdiMDRVVDhUUE9DRlN5TlAxWW5FX1picnE5SlNj/view?usp=sharing

Zorin

Well, I was finally able to find the time to change my PTU on my 2011 PP @42,254 mi. The initial process of jacking up the car on all four tires, than removing the passenger's RF tire and shoving the wobble extensions (which I purchased from Harbor Freight) took about 20 mins total.  Below is the picture of the plug removed.  Using the MityVac fluid extractor helped tremendously.  The fluid that came out reminded me of the gray graphite lube we would put on the splines of the 90KVA generators on the AC-130Us, to make removal/install easier.  There was no metal shavings (lucky me) and I flushed the PTU three times per the manual.  Total process took about 1 hr.  Note: I use BND's 85w-140 PTU fluid based on the Tribology information from Brian @ BND Automotive.

Note 2:  Thanks for the How-To, much appreciated.

Z

2011PP, Kona Blue, 255/45/20 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, 3 Bar, 170 stat, LMS 93+Race Tune with ACES IV, Quantum Blue Fluids.