• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2010 Lincoln MKS - moon roof broken

Started by BBOX, April 21, 2016, 12:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBOX

Copypasta from the MKS forum where I've gotten no response -

Moon roof had been sporadically not closing correctly, I would eventually be able to get it closed but eventually stopped using it altogether out of fear of it getting stuck open. With the weather getting nicer I decided to investigate and found that when I used the vent feature, the driver's side of the panel would not articulate open but the passenger side would. If I tried to open the moon roof, it would retract maybe a couple of inches and then stop, fortunately I was able to get it closed without issue. A mechanic friend helped me pull the glass panel and found the hardware broken on the driver's side and the rails pretty badly cracked around the front portion of the unit, we did not examine the back.

I have a 2010, so I had a few questions - one, has there been any kind of revision to the moon roof rails after 2010 that might make the replacement unit more robust? Two, does anyone have any pointers on removing the headliner to get access to the moon roof assembly?

BiGMaC

Don't know about fit... But I had them fail (broken rails) in 2 FMC vehicles requiring replacement. I have 1 '13s now (both bought new) and no problems. In PHX they get HOT during the day... The metallurgy is changed now, but again I don't know about fitment in earlier models.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

BBOX

They're metal on the 13's? The frame was plastic on mine as I recollect. Also do you have the panoramic moon roof?

markssho

Mine sometimes gets stuck closing because the metal wires that lower the air deflector aren't working right. They look bent.
When this happens, from the outside, I push down on the air deflector and it closes. Been living with it, but, gotta get it fixed.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

2010 Taurus SHO, Cinnamon, 402B, ACC

mmh64

Quote from: markssho on April 21, 2016, 08:29:35 PM
Mine sometimes gets stuck closing because the metal wires that lower the air deflector aren't working right. They look bent.
When this happens, from the outside, I push down on the air deflector and it closes. Been living with it, but, gotta get it fixed.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk
This same problem was happening to me. I don't think the spring wire was bent on mine. The three nylon straps that limit the up travel of air deflector appeared to be ever slightly too long.I thought maybe stretched out a little over time. Although straps are easily removeable, I  haven't found a replacement available without purchase of entire deflector assembly. Here was my easy fix. One at a time remove Allen screw that holds straps to chassis. Put 1/2 twist in strap (180*) and refasten in that position. This shortens straps, lowers deflector enough so glass doesn't crash into it and stop. I have had no problems with this fix and I'm happy to no longer worry about pinching my fingers every time I wanted to close the moon roof.
2010 SHO, Livernois 93 4+x 3-bar tune.

BiGMaC

Quote from: BBOX on April 21, 2016, 02:49:00 PM
They're metal on the 13's? The frame was plastic on mine as I recollect. Also do you have the panoramic moon roof?
Yes.  None of the 4 vehicles were panoramic... Can't afford to go upscale like you MKS guys... LOL

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

BBOX

Haha, I couldn't remember if the SHO's had or got the panoramic or not. I'm trying to find out if the part got revised at some point, the one listed on all the parts sites is shown as the one for all MKS 2009-2015, I'm hoping it got revised to be more robust at some point. I don't really wanna shell out $600 and freight for something that may just break again and would probably try to go used if they're still plastic.

ZSHO

I had a MKZ Loaner for a few days last year with the same moonroof and truly an Awesome car but you really need to stay on top of the maintenance aspect,still have pic's of it.  Z   :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Brucelinc

BBOX, you asked about removing the headliner.  It is held up with very strong magnets but that doesn't mean you can just jerk it down.  A number of trim pieces need to be removed and it is very easy to damage the headliner.

Not long after the bumper-to-bumper warranty expired on my MKS, I began hearing a creaking noise in the roof when I went over uneven pavement.  The dealer wanted around $400 just to remove the headliner to see what was going on.  They claimed that it was a significant job and that if the headliner isn't brought down carefully, it will wrinkle and be ruined.

After some polite discussion and persuasion, they agreed to an after warranty adjustment.  One of the bolts holding the moonroof in place was broken.  They had the car for most of the day for the fix.   It has been fine ever since but do not underestimate the headliner R&R.

BBOX

Unfortunately I'm well out of warranty in terms of time, though only about 10k in terms of mileage, but I'm not holding my breath on any help from the dealer. I'll definitely be mindful when we go to pulling the headliner, I am a bit skeptical of their claim it could wrinkle having removed several other headliners from vehicles, but it's worth being aware of, thanks!

Brucelinc

Let us know how it goes.  I was told that it is fragile due to the huge cutout for the dual panel moonroof. 

Eeyorewolf

My moon roof has failed and leaks to the point it allows water to saturate the headliner. I'm trying to remove the headliner and can't find anything on line regarding a procedure. I read about the magnets and I can feel the pull from them when I try to pull a portion of the headliner down. A and C pillar and difficult to remove and the courtesy lights in the headliner in the rear seem impossible to remove. Is there anyone in the group that has experience with this? Any help would be appreciated, I don't want to make a bad situation worse by damaging my headliner, they are ridiculously expensive to replace.

SHOdded

What year/model is your vehicle, Eeyorewolf?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Eeyorewolf

Quote from: SHOdded on March 10, 2020, 05:50:26 AM
What year/model is your vehicle, Eeyorewolf?

It is a 2010 MKS Ecoboost AWD with panoramic moon roof. Thank you for responding.

SHOdded

Headliners are difficult to remove no doubt.  I will look up the manual and post instructions soon.  In the meantime, I would search on YT for videos.  Might just get lucky :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!